Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had an interesting opportunity fall into my lap recently, and I decided to take the chance and get it. Its a 1988 Mazda 3232 GTX, 171,000 miles, and the engine is in a few pieces from an unfinished timing belt replacement/valve replacement. The valves are in but the belt isn't yet. The head is still off the car (see pics) and are the manifolds (both intake and exhaust), and turbo are off the car. I take posession this Sunday, and then it will sit in my parents garage until December, when I have time off of work and school and then I'll rebuild it.

I plan on redoing a few things whiles its apart, I've got a list going that I'll pick and choose from once I know how much I can sink into this project right off the bat. I'm hoping to run the car around 15 psi, it'll be my autox/track car and I'd like to eventually get a setup for rallyx.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I have to drive it first :p I'm going to be removing the sunroof, so it'll shave off even more weight/lower the center of gravity.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For a second there I thought you said in the title that you imported a Mazda2.

[IPB Image]

Learn to read, Raynman. :slap:
[/b]
Hah yeah, it does kinda read that way. GTX is way cooler thought :p

·
Registered
436 Posts
That car is the ultimate mini rally machine. I've always wanted one, but they rarely come up for sale. Have fun with it!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
cool buy no one has those things

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Good buy. It'll run forever if you take care of it.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh I plan on having it for a while :) As far as waiting until december goes, its not really a choice I want to make, but I don't have anywhere to store/work on it while I'm at school :(

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Congrats! I had one of those years ago and now I'm hating myself all over again for parting with it. :(

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hah, who cares about the paint? Especially if I start rallying it :p The engine will be cleaned up quite a bit, I'll take before and afters of the work I do of course.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Swwweeeeeeeeeet!!! Turbo, 4WD, 2600lbs- it's everything a hot hatch should be. Good luck embarassing all the new Speed owners while also having the utility of a hatchback! I'm somewhat curious how reliable such an old turbo car can be, but believe me, I'm also jealous!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Nice find...I've always liked those. I can't remember the last time I saw one.

Needs a little TLC, but should be a fun project.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Swwweeeeeeeeeet!!! Turbo, 4WD, 2600lbs- it's everything a hot hatch should be. Good luck embarassing all the new Speed owners while also having the utility of a hatchback! I'm somewhat curious how reliable such an old turbo car can be, but believe me, I'm also jealous!
[/b]
He's going to have a LOT of massaging to do to the engine before he'll embarass any Speed6. Stock horsepower was only 132. It was quick, but not nearly as quick as the MS6. In any case, it should be a fun car. First thing I'd do if I had another one is stiffen the suspension. It was way too soft from the factory.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts