Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I'm Aaron, I own a 2008 Mazda 6 GH Series 1 Luxury Sport Auto 2.5 Petrol Hatch and I'm 18 from Australia.

About a year ago when I was driving my car on my learner's license (my dad owned it at the time) the car started to make machine gun noises. The next day my dad took it to a local auto store to see if they could do anything about it, they basically said they had no idea and we needed to go to Mazda directly but if they had to guess what the problem was it was the Amp. We then took it to our local Mazda dealership to see what they could do but basically all they said was that we needed to book in for a Diagnosis and it was going to be $170 and there was no guarantee that they would find the root of the problem or that they could fix it. At the time was my Dad was already planning on buying another car so he just took the Bose fuse out and that stopped the noise from happening. About 3 months ago I bought the car off of him in preparation for my provisional license, at the start I just listened to music off of my phone but since my friends have been in my car they have been complaining that I have no music. So I went back to Mazda to book in for a Diagnosis, this time it was a different person and they were very interested in the problem and insisted on seeing it for themselves. So anyway I showed them the problem and as to be expected they had never heard of anything like this before, luckily enough one of the Mazda technicians was walking by and wanted to see what was up. Being intrigued themselves they started to tinker with my car and I was happy because it wasn't costing me a dam cent for their time, they basically told me that from the sounds of it isn't a hardware issue (speakers, sub or amp) and that it was most likely the head unit.

Now from looking at other peoples experiences and posts online that I have read the problem is the Amp.

Now I am torn on what I should do:

1. Find another stock head unit out of a similar wrecked Mazda 6 and swap that in
2. Find the later GH models Sat Nav unit that has Bluetooth with it and just swap that in but I feel like it isn't as simple as plug and play with that one
3. Go without Music until I get a Job and then buy a really good aftermarket head unit with a reversing camera and install that
4. Replace the Amp with another factory Bose one

Thank you for your help and I will be waiting for your replies.

·
Registered
538 Posts
If it was me in your situation, I'd start with the Bose amp. It's more than likely the cheapest option other than telling your friends to shut it and could walk if they proffer . If they don't like it, tell them that you are gladly taking donations for an aftermarket system lol.

Changing the stock HU out for aftermarket, you will need to get a kit as well as the aftermarket unit. Same goes with a Newer stock hu. You may need to get more than just the hu for it to work.

·
Registered
709 Posts
If it was me in your situation, I'd start with the Bose amp. It's more than likely the cheapest option other than telling your friends to shut it and could walk if they proffer . If they don't like it, tell them that you are gladly taking donations for an aftermarket system lol.

I like your answer! This is a private car and not for public consumption. If you're getting a free ride, be thankful for it.

But friends will be friends, I just hope they are "real friends" and not just any freeloader.

To answer the question, I'll go with what I can afford. If I'm not in a hurry, I'll save first then go for the best, again, with how much I can afford.

Otherwise, I'll go for the cheapest one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts