Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
wow 14:1 comp ,that takes balls. i wouldnt go higher than 12.5:1 for a DD, but thats just me

the bottleneck for us is still tuning (timing especially for this application), hopefully Sniper can come through.

nice to see another turboed 6 congratulations Dood keep us updated

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Yeah, he couldn't run it half way decently on anything less than 108 octane I think he said? lol

12.5 is used by Tripoint and Tindol in the Touring 6's. From what I can remember (I just cleared out my inbox like 3 days ago, woops) he backed it down to 11.1 Wiseco pistons but he has some other work done as well so it's effectively 11.6:1 compression.

Oh, and no tuning. He said it would be extremely expensive, lol.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
not more expensive than a blown engine :irate: but hey its not my car.
but its nice to hear of some seriously modded 6's

anywho, 11.6:1 is about as high as i'd go as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
m6racer did you ever finish the build? if so how did it go? did the MSP parts bolt up nicely? what numbers are you putting down? help another 6i out im looking in to ethier turboing my car or buy a speed3...turbo my car would be cheaper and more practical so please more info.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
build isnt finished quite yet. gauges will be wired today and all the coolant/oil lines were finished up last night as well as the injectors. im currently waiting for the cosworth bsd kit to come in on monday so i should be able to fire it up on monday night to check for any leaks. after that i need to bring the car to a shop for the intercooler piping which would be sometime next week and then the tuning will be done after that. as far as the speed6 parts go, they did bolt up nicely. the ms6 manifold flange has 10 holes on it compared to the 7 holes that can be found on the 6i but itll still bolt up. everything else has been pretty good so far.

edit: ill post some more pics of the progress later on today so stay tuned!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Looks pretty good, I definitely hope everything works out smoothly for ya. You're doing well price wise... my Hass kit was 3500 for parts and it's taken a shiteload more to get operational (and it's still not *quite* there).

Can't wait to see more progress. It'll be nice to have a well-documented custom build out there for everyone!

And yeah, this engine will do fine on moderate boost, it's the tranny I'd worry about past 10psi.

·
Registered
18 Posts
QUOTE (m6racer @ Sep 6 2008, 08:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1428873
build isnt finished quite yet. gauges will be wired today and all the coolant/oil lines were finished up last night as well as the injectors. im currently waiting for the cosworth bsd kit to come in on monday so i should be able to fire it up on monday night to check for any leaks. after that i need to bring the car to a shop for the intercooler piping which would be sometime next week and then the tuning will be done after that. as far as the speed6 parts go, they did bolt up nicely. the ms6 manifold flange has 10 holes on it compared to the 7 holes that can be found on the 6i but itll still bolt up. everything else has been pretty good so far.

edit: ill post some more pics of the progress later on today so stay tuned![/b]

cool man few more questions because im thinking going your route your takin. the first is is it worth it? the time and money? second what size injectors..

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
yeah i will get pics up tomorrow. i just finished up some wiring issues with the gauges but theyre functioning now. as far as the build goes, i think its worth it but i did get great deals on some of the parts. a key factor in this whole build is patience and waiting for the best prices on certain items. ive been buying parts since may so its been awhile already. if youre really looking into turboing your 6 using a setup similar to mine, shoot me a PM and ill try my best to help u track down parts. as far as injectors go, im running the bosch 42lb green top injectors with ev1-ev6 adapters. the injectors i got are ev1 style and the harness coming from the car is an ev6 which is why u would need the adapters.

·
Registered
18 Posts
QUOTE (m6racer @ Sep 8 2008, 08:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1430502
yeah i will get pics up tomorrow. i just finished up some wiring issues with the gauges but theyre functioning now. as far as the build goes, i think its worth it but i did get great deals on some of the parts. a key factor in this whole build is patience and waiting for the best prices on certain items. ive been buying parts since may so its been awhile already. if youre really looking into turboing your 6 using a setup similar to mine, shoot me a PM and ill try my best to help u track down parts. as far as injectors go, im running the bosch 42lb green top injectors with ev1-ev6 adapters. the injectors i got are ev1 style and the harness coming from the car is an ev6 which is why u would need the adapters.[/b]

Yeah im wantin to go the same route due to this way when its all said and done i can be like yeah i peiced it together...but i spoke with one member who is selling his stock manifold from his speed6 for 90 but me and him have talked at a lower price if it works out. and i saw a stock turbo for 300 and if he really wants it gone ill give him a price. so will see but im sure it will be over some time. and ive been searching craigslist for a intercooler and found one off an evo so will see..but please post pics want to see how this comes out. last question for now anyways how did the downpipe fit up with your exhaust because im running the magnaflow now.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
the downpipe that im using right now is the corksport so i had to cut the exhaust in order to get the downpipe to fit. im going to take the car to an exhaust shop to get the whole exhaust redone. as far as the evo intercooler, what are the dimensions for it? keep in mind that there isnt that much room for an intercooler unless u want to trim alot of the bumper support off. and i found that it would be pretty ideal to run an intercooler with the inlet and outlet on the same side of the intercooler. it would be similar to this one found here.

if youre going to use a manifold and turbo off a speed6 then i would look into going with an intercooler of that type. it just barely fits but it can work. you can see a pic of my fmic and how its mounted on the first page of this thread.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
heres the updated pics that people have been waiting for. enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Looks good man. I remember those days installing my turbo kit. Did you end up doing the shift delete kit when the oil pan was dropped? Lentech valvebodies?

I was always scared of doing the spin-on conversion since my car was lowered (yours appears to be as well) and having the canister rip off on a bump or something.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
yeah i installed the cosworth bsd kit. as far as the spin on filter goes, i was kinda worried about it at first but i figured i would just drive more carefully lol. it looks like i would hit the subframe first before i hit the filter so i dont think i have anything to worry about. and yeah im slammed on ksport coilovers lol.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
QUOTE (m6racer @ Sep 10 2008, 01:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1431542
yeah i installed the cosworth bsd kit. as far as the spin on filter goes, i was kinda worried about it at first but i figured i would just drive more carefully lol. it looks like i would hit the subframe first before i hit the filter so i dont think i have anything to worry about. and yeah im slammed on ksport coilovers lol.[/b]
LOL.

Drive more carefully AFTER installing a turbo? RIGHTTTTTT :)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
QUOTE (jhershorin @ Sep 10 2008, 04:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1431624
You can make a lot of power on a 2.3L motor in this car. I had a mazda3 putting 432whp down on 93 octane.[/b]

what tuning did you have? because mazda is notorious for not being able to up the max hp on the car, especially 432whp. The ECU wouldnt let it go above a certain point.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
he was running the haltech as at one point is was partly a HiBoost kit. if you go with an aftermarket ecu, you can do just about whatever you want.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts