Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well in 4 months I am going to buy a car. Boy is this gonna be difficult. So far I have narrowed it down to these 3. So time to list my pro's and con's and you can respond to my evaluation.

TSX
Pro:
- nice interior
- xenon lights
- Honda quality
- side mirror turn signals
- dual zone climate
Con
- ugly back end
- only 2.4L
- maybe pricey??

Audi A4 1.8T CVT
Pro:
- INTERIOR!!!! WOW so well designed
- it's an Audi
- awesome exterior
- CVT tranny
Con:
- Pricey
- turbo lag
- compact car
- small engine
- no xenon

Mazda6
Pro:
- V6
- Grad Rebate
- almost same as TSX
Con:
- interior quality not as high
- depreciation is high
- big turn radius
- no xenon
- ineffective ACC

·
Registered
657 Posts
Reading Topic: M6 vs TSX vs Audi A4

The Audi has xenons as an option, MSRP is $500. I know, because I was going to order an A4. Trust me, the 6 is just as nice for a lot less money. (Hence me not driving an A4 right now...lol)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Replying to Topic 'M6 vs TSX vs Audi A4'

-The depreciation will not be as high for the Mazda 6 as it is for a Protoge or a 626. In IIHS has calculated depreciation for these vehicles so that they are on par with a Honda Accords or Toyota Camry.

-Honda quality is a subjective term. Looking at the number of problems with the Honda automatic transmission and the dealer/manufacturer response to it is pretty bad. Not to mention the continuing downgrade in production quality that the Honda Civic and Acura RSX are experiencing right now. Have you seen the paint jobs on these lately? The bumpers look like they were painted in a different factory on a different day than the body panels than the fuel filler door. Shoddy to say the least.

The Acura TSX is essentially the JDM Honda Accord with options the Americans will like and the fancy Acura logo. It should be a very good car, slightly smaller than the American Accord and no V6 option. Fit and finish should be on par with the Mazda 6. Stay away from the Automatic transmission.

- Audi's are incredibly beautiful inside and out. They have the fit and finish you're looking for. You'll pay handsomely for a bigger engine and certain options. Audi's are best with the Quattro option so you'll need the V6 and tiptronic automatic or manual to be really satisfied with the A4--but if you can be there... why not just get a BMW 3xi?

·
Registered
212 Posts

I also was considering an A4, until I reaalized just how overpriced it is. I'm not trying to insult A4 owners, because it is one very nice car, but it cost ~$4k more than the Mazda6 (comparably equipped) while having much less power and being much smaller. There is like no room in the rear, kind of like my parents Skoda Octavia. I basically decided that the Audi name on the car is not worth that much to me and never looked back. Of course that's just my opinion and we all know how that is.

·
Registered
231 Posts

We don't have the TSX in Australia but here is a neat quote from this months Wheels Magazine (Australian). The writers were asked for the 5 best and worst cars of 2002. There was a real gamut of choices. A couple of the guys picked the Mazda 6. One wrote:

"Mazda 6: Heresy! I think this is the best medium-size front-driver you can buy. Hapless brand snobs will refuse to believe its a better car than an Alfa 156, Audi A4 or Saab 9-3, but they're wrong."

I'd take each car for a drive and rate it on the things I felt were most important. Each person has his own criteria. For me it was things like Handling, Engine, Gearbox, Brakes, Safety Features... and which ever one feels best to you, you should buy. I wouldn't buy a car that I didn't felt was let down in any one category because it would always niggle at you. And I'd buy the car that felt best to me, emotionally.

Personally I've wanted an A4 for years but just ordered a 6 because it is about half the cost here and seemed to be just as good a car.

·
Registered
286 Posts

From those choices, I'd go with an new 6s. Seriously, the A4 is too expensive, granted you'll be getting a great car for the money. If you're looking for an A4 though, get a slightly used one (1 year old or so). It'll be about as much as a 6s. The A4's depreciate pretty quick. My cousin has a dealers license and goes to some car auctions in Mannheim, PA and can pick up '01-'02 A4 1.8T's for like low $20's.

I haven't seen the TSX yet, so I can't really comment on those.

·
Registered
76 Posts

A Mazda 6s 5MT will light up that Honda...err, I mean Acura :D

Same thing with the Audi. Nice car, but very pricey.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you Omega, except that I ruled out an A4 a few months ago. I love the car, inside and out, but, it's really expensive and a little too small for me. I keep thinking of how I could get a loaded 6 with everything I could throw on it for less than a stripped down A4.

If the TSX falls within the 24k-25k base price rumor that's been floating around, then:

24k - 25k
+ $2200 for NAV (est.)
+ $500, MP3 player (est.)
+ $1500 body kit (est)
=$28,700 - $29,200

A nicely equiped A4 1.8T CVT will cost around $32,000 and doesn't have NAV as an option. You have to move up to the 3.0 to get NAV. Now if getting a nicely equiped 3.0 won't be to much of a strain financially, then thats the way to go.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Originally posted by SteVTEC

A Mazda 6s 5MT will light up that Honda...err, I mean Acura :D[/b]
Have to wait for the official weight to be announced for us to be sure though.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

The TSX isn't out yet. Also there's still a writing embargo on it. Which means journalist who may have test driven it can't print their reviews until March.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

I'm looking forward to this throw down in the magazines, all three are good cars in there own right. Here are my thoughts:

A4
Pros:
Exterior Style
AWD available
VW knows how to do an awesome interior
Nothing like a car with a built in turbo (can we say “chip it”?)
Cons:
Expensive
Questionable engine reliability
Repair Costs
Softer Handling

M6
Pros:
Exterior Style
V6 with a 5 speed manual
Price
Handling & performance
Reliability
Cons:
No AWD
Interior not as nice as TSX or Audi
Brand status (depends on person)
Unknown resale value
Brand new platform could have unknown issues

TSX
Pros:
Honda Quality and reliability
Great interior
Based on US Accord, smooth solid ride
Aftermarket potential
Resale
Cons:
Exterior style not as nice as Mazda or Audi
Lack of Power
Handling will be soft if U.S. Accord is any indication
Price / value
No AWD

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Yep, I agree. We have to remember to come back to this post when the write ups finally happen to see how close you got.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Originally posted by Brillo

A4
    Expensive
    Repair Costs
    Softer Handling  [/b]
Brillo, here's where I'll disagree with you. I've been researching the Audi/VW 1.8Ts, and they are BRICKS. The only trouble the engine will give you is a cailpack problem that VAG is well aware of, and is contemplating a recall on. Other than that, I'd have to say that the 1.8T is one of the best engines around today, pound for pound. I mean, where else can you find an engine that will give you 215 HP/250 Foot Lbs with just a $500 chip, and will last 100K miles? With $3000 in mods, you're looking at about 325HP/400 Foot Lbs, in a daily driver that makes it's power at 2000 RPM.

*ahem* But I still would rather have the 6. I had the Audi waiting for me, yet look what I'm driving....

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Originally posted by Entropism

Originally posted by Brillo

A4
    Expensive
    Repair Costs
    Softer Handling  [/b]
Brillo, here's where I'll disagree with you. I've been researching the Audi/VW 1.8Ts, and they are BRICKS. The only trouble the engine will give you is a cailpack problem that VAG is well aware of, and is contemplating a recall on. Other than that, I'd have to say that the 1.8T is one of the best engines around today, pound for pound. I mean, where else can you find an engine that will give you 215 HP/250 Foot Lbs with just a $500 chip, and will last 100K miles? With $3000 in mods, you're looking at about 325HP/400 Foot Lbs, in a daily driver that makes it's power at 2000 RPM.

*ahem* But I still would rather have the 6. I had the Audi waiting for me, yet look what I'm driving....[/b][/quote]

I hope your right about the 1.8T, it is a nice engine and as I pointed out, very mod and chip"able". I recall reading about some varous problems with that engine, but I know VAG uses it in alot of cars so I would hope it would be reliable. VW, while cetainly better tna many American cars, seems to be the least reliable of the German big three from the quality reports I've read. I would say the greater issue would be the repair costs, which for all German cars, VW to Mercedes, are really expensive in the U.S....maybe not so bad outside the states. I looked at possibly purchasing the A4 as well.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'M6 vs TSX vs Audi A4'

Well, VW's have a few nagging problems, mainly the engine coilpacks failing, the window regulators failing (causing the windows to drop at random); and a miswired Monsoon stereo that has been fixed as of the late '02 cars. As far as I know, Audi's only have the coilpack problem. Also, the Audi 1.8T's might be rated lower than the VW's, but they have stronger internals, and can hold a LOT more boost. Hell, the 225HP Audi TT with just a chip hits 285HP. Exaust adds about 15 BHP, downpipe another 10. Biggest problem with the VAG setup for the 1.8T is a VERY restrictive exaust. Going from 2" to 3" holds a very nice improvement.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

I almost like the 1.8T in the VW form better b/c Audi's are usually heavier than VW for all the lux equipment, a jetta or a golf with that engine would haul ass

·
Registered
68 Posts

I hear this about the A4 everywhere.....

and I actually saw it on my page a day calendar

The 0-60 times for A4's are slow as shit.
The tested time for the calendar said 8.2 seconds....

any car that gets off that slow is not for me.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Brillo, Kabz, yes, the 1.8T STOCK is a better engine on the GTI or Jetta (Or Beetle, if you're secure enough in your manhood) as they are significantly lighter than the A4. However, this doesn't mean the Audi isn't better in the big picture. After about 350HP, the Jetta/GTI/Beetle have no real benefit from HP gains due to traction issues. Now, take the A4 with stronger internals, and add in Quattro. Boom, no more traction issues.

BillyT (forget his last name) has a GTI pushing 450 or so HP, with over a year of tracktime, and his engine JUST blew. Piston went right through the block, in fact. Anyways, most cars with this much track time would have lasted about half as long, a tribute to how durable the VW block is. Now, if he used an Audi block, with the Quattro... Add another second to his times and I'd say 6 months to his engine life.

Disclaimer: This is just speculation, since he didn't have the Audi block, or the Quattro, and also because I'm going by memory, which is quite shot after 3 hours sleep, 14 hours of work, and a general laziness. Thank you, come again! :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts