Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the max capacity anyone was successful with regards to a Usb Stick. I am about to order a Sandisk USB 3.0 32 GB so need to know if the system recognizes it or not.

Thanks for any feedback

·
Registered
781 Posts
Here is your CONFIRMATION

What is the max capacity anyone was successful with regards to a Usb Stick. I am about to order a Sandisk USB 3.0 32 GB so need to know if the system recognizes it or not.

Thanks for any feedback
I just successfully tested my 128GB USB 3.0 SanDisk in my 2014 Mazda6 Touring, so you should be good to go! Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just successfully tested my 128GB USB 3.0 SanDisk in my 2014 Mazda6 Touring, so you should be good to go! Thanks!
Wow that is great to know, when I had my 2014 it would not recognize my 8 GB for some reason. I currently have an 8 GB stick which I use but need to upgrade.

Thanks for you feedback.

Reactions: OCTOGONPC

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
You'll need to use something other than Windows XP/Vista/7/8 (like Linux or OS X) to format your flash drive larger than 32GB[1]. Make sure you use FAT32 for the filesystem. Some flash drives ship formatted as something like NTFS, and those older versions of Windows may try to force you to use NTFS to get > 32GB. The car won't be able to read NTFS.

Under OS X, FAT32 is referred to as "MS-DOS (FAT)". exFAT is different, and won't work.

[1] File and partition size limitations using the FAT32 file system (Windows and Mac) | WD Support

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was able to get a Seagate Expansion 1TB drive to work in my 2016GT. For the drive, it needs to be formatted to FAT32, I used Fat32Formatter as it could format drives greater than 32GB.

I also bought a USB3-Y cable, so that it could get power from both ports as I wasn't able to get the drive to load with just one port.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was able to get a Seagate Expansion 1TB drive to work in my 2016GT. For the drive, it needs to be formatted to FAT32, I used Fat32Formatter as it could format drives greater than 32GB.

I also bought a USB3-Y cable, so that it could get power from both ports as I wasn't able to get the drive to load with just one port.

Hope this helps.
What do u have your music files looking like on that flashdrive. I have a sandisk 64g using on my 2016 mazda6 sport. Got it formatted but I'm gettin the error no playable files found for my new music. I can play some old music from 10 years ago

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Interesting thread revival! I didn't know that it is possible to format a drive at such capacity with FAT32.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Yep, but not using Windows. You need to use a tool that will do it. I have a 120Gb SSD in my car (hooked to my Pioneer head unit) and it's formatted as FAT32 -- which Windows won't do, but the other tools will. Ditto for SD cards.

Windows will format these as ExFAT (and for SSDs typically NTFS) which does you no good at all.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
The biggest issue is, it needs to be USB 2.0, not 3.0.
Good thing you mentioned about that!

Yep, but not using Windows. You need to use a tool that will do it. I have a 120Gb SSD in my car (hooked to my Pioneer head unit) and it's formatted as FAT32 -- which Windows won't do, but the other tools will. Ditto for SD cards.

Windows will format these as ExFAT (and for SSDs typically NTFS) which does you no good at all.

May I know what application did you use? I don't know if Mac can do it by using MS DOS as suggested above.

·
Super Moderator
18,272 Posts
May I know what application did you use? I don't know if Mac can do it by using MS DOS as suggested above.
Apple's Disk Utility is more than happy to format things as Fat32 last I checked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What do u have your music files looking like on that flashdrive. I have a sandisk 64g using on my 2016 mazda6 sport. Got it formatted but I'm gettin the error no playable files found for my new music. I can play some old music from 10 years ago

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Directory structure of:

Artist->Album->Song, all sorted. That's the advantage of Fat32; you can sort the directory. MANY head units will NOT sort internally; they just play in whatever order they read the directory(s)!

My Pioneer head unit can read and play WAV/MP3/FLAC. The factory unit can definitely play MP3; no idea on WAV and I'm sure it cannot play FLAC (since I tried.)

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Directory structure of:

Artist->Album->Song, all sorted. That's the advantage of Fat32; you can sort the directory. MANY head units will NOT sort internally; they just play in whatever order they read the directory(s)!

My Pioneer head unit can read and play WAV/MP3/FLAC. The factory unit can definitely play MP3; no idea on WAV and I'm sure it cannot play FLAC (since I tried.)
CMU plays .wav just fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts