Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...my clutch is going after 91,000 miles. I've been researching my options. Money is an issue. I'd like to get a flywheel and phantom grip installed as well. After calling several local transmission places, I've found a couple talking up the Luk clutch kits.

What do ya'll know about them?

In addition, I found a local shop that'd sell me a Luk kit and install it for $700 even...which seems an incredible price: unfortunately, they won't install anything other than a Luk kit...says it's their choice only to use that brand. It's a good price, but I want either a light flywheel or the PG and I don't want to use the Luk kit if it's a POS.

Any input is welcome.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
LuK Automotive Systems - Original equipment automotive clutch and ...
Original equipment automotive clutch and flywheel aftermarket supplier.[/b]
I'd rather get an upgrade while I was at it.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Nealio @ Oct 9 2008, 01:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1455829
I'd rather get an upgrade while I was at it.[/b]

Yeah, me too. I'm still putting in calls to tranny shops...luckily I live in a large urban area, so lots of competition. I found a shop in Irving near Texas Stadium that'll charge me $456 in labor and he said he'd be happy to install any aftermarket clutch and flywheel I come across.

I found another shop that quoted me $175 labor to install the Phantom Grip and $535 labor on any aftermarket clutch kit and flywheel install.

Now I'm searching Ebay for a deal on an Exedy stage I kit and a Fidanza flywheel. If I can't find a bargain, I'll go through RPM, but I'll have to pay sales tax if I go w/ RPM.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Check out Vividracing.com. Their prices are very competitive with RPM.

Exedy Stage 1 Organic Clutch Kit Mazda 6 3.0L AJV 03-07
Model: 10808 List: $295.99

Exedy Flywheel Mazda 6 3.0L AJV 03-07
Model: ZF503 List: $280.99

When I'm ready to do the clutch and flywheel, this is what I'm getting and where I'm getting from.

Check out the threads about this combination.

Good luck :drive:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, velocity-tech is selling their stage 1 exedy for the same with free shipping. Phantom grip's web site is $349.94 plust $15 for ground shipping, whereas RPM's is listed for $390 and free shipping. Due to the savings on sales tax, I'm gonna be buying off of ebay. After spending close to a grand, I don't want to pay another $80 or so in taxes.

·
Registered
780 Posts
QUOTE (dfw6er @ Oct 9 2008, 12:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1455908
Yeah, velocity-tech is selling their stage 1 exedy for the same with free shipping. Phantom grip's web site is $349.94 plust $15 for ground shipping, whereas RPM's is listed for $390 and free shipping. Due to the savings on sales tax, I'm gonna be buying off of ebay. After spending close to a grand, I don't want to pay another $80 or so in taxes.[/b]

That's one hell of an upgrade for sure. f taxes.. its good your shopping around and piecing things together

I know money is an issue (same here). How bad is your clutch? You can probably get by not changing it for a while. I felt my clutch slipping at around 57-58K+ miles. by that i mean that the RPM's were surging when i floored it. I got around to finally changing it at 75K miles, but only because of other major problems. It sucked driving the car tho. It took the fun out of driving and it didnt feel right with the RPMs surging, but the wait's worth it in the end.

One other thing. When everythings installed and good and broken in. The stage 1 clutch grabs. I got the exedy and that thing grabs hard especially in the higher RPMs, or rather it makes a sound that it grabs really hard. I dont know if its really needed, but its a mod that Im lookin do myself is getting stronger engine tranny mount.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not slipping too much yet, but it makes me nervous not having the ability to floor it and count on the acceleration being there if I need it. Right now, it's very drivable if I keep my right foot off the floor board.

·
Registered
734 Posts
when i put my right foot on the floor rpms and mph go up but wierd smoke comes off my tires is that a problem?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
QUOTE (markyb @ Oct 16 2008, 06:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1460309
when i put my right foot on the floor rpms and mph go up but wierd smoke comes off my tires is that a problem?[/b]

it sounds like you have leadfootitis. The only known remedy to buy more mods.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
xshellshock
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing