Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i put 73mm center bore wheels on. original bore is 67mm. the new wheels use cone seat tuner lugs so i assumed the wheels were lug centric. while driving at and over 60mph, the car vibrates like my girlfriend's favorite toy. has anyone else experienced issues with hub centric wheels? i put hub centric rings on today but havent driven above 60mph yet. gas is expensive and the freeway is far from me. :D ive read that by not having the hub centric rings, vibration is a symptom and the bolts can actually bend and possibly break off. more info please. thanks.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
You've just described why it's necessary to have hub centering rings. One error in your post, though. Your wheels are lug-centric, not hub-centric. Hub-centric wheels don't need hub centering rings (ie the stock wheels are hub centric, center bore matches hub size exactly).

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You've just described why it's necessary to have hub centering rings. One error in your post, though. Your wheels are lug-centric, not hub-centric. Hub-centric wheels don't need hub centering rings (ie the stock wheels are hub centric, center bore matches hub size exactly).
[/b]
thanks, but i got that part. the stock speed6 wheels use cone seat lugs also, but the center bore fit perfectly over the hub. now that i have new wheels with a larger bore and no hub centric rings, ive been experiencing vibration. i was wondering if the vibration was a symptom of lug centering when the center bore is larger than the hub? i got the rings on and ill test it out today. otherwise, maybe the tire installers didnt balance them correctly, but i watched them while they did it and it looked alright.

·
Registered
33 Posts
thanks, but i got that part. the stock speed6 wheels use cone seat lugs also, but the center bore fit perfectly over the hub. now that i have new wheels with a larger bore and no hub centric rings, ive been experiencing vibration. i was wondering if the vibration was a symptom of lug centering when the center bore is larger than the hub? i got the rings on and ill test it out today. otherwise, maybe the tire installers didnt balance them correctly, but i watched them while they did it and it looked alright.
[/b]
That should be the problem. Whenever I sell wheels on a vehicle, I MUST make every attempt to make the fitment as close to stock as possible to avoid any problems. I have NEVER heard(in 12yrs) that the studs will bend from a lug-centric app. lol *over-analysis* Every once and while I don't have the proper rings. We just torque the wheels in the air to try and get the most centered fit. If you still get vibes...have them rebalanced. - Chip

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright, thanks guys. looks like the vibration went down quite a bit, but i still get a little. i still havent torqued the lugs, but ill make sure i do that soon.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
probably doesn't have a torq wrench...mine are over torqued, i'm sure of it, i torqued it as much as i could with that stupid little back lug remover would go

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep, dont have a torque wrench. got them torqued today tho. just shouldnt keep them hand wrenched for too long because the brakes start to suffer.

·
Registered
358 Posts
i still havent torqued the lugs, but ill make sure i do that soon.
[/b]
What is the torque lbs on stock wheels?
thx..

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think i have them around 80. best way to find out is to break loose the lugs with a torque wrench.

·
Registered
947 Posts
What is the torque lbs on stock wheels?
thx..
[/b]

87lbs - Plus if you don't tighten them equally at the same time, you will get the vibration as well...

I'm not even running hub rings and my don't vibe at all... I just torqued them to 35lbs then 60lbs and then 87lbs... In the standard tightening bolt pattern...

·
Registered
358 Posts
87lbs - Plus if you don't tighten them equally at the same time, you will get the vibration as well...
I'm not even running hub rings and my don't vibe at all... I just torqued them to 35lbs then 60lbs and then 87lbs... In the standard tightening bolt pattern...
[/b]
did you use the same spec (35lbs, 60 & 87) on your ADR wheels?

·
Registered
947 Posts
did you use the same spec (35lbs, 60 & 87) on your ADR wheels?
[/b]
Yes that is what I was referring too...

Also a side note, depending on the tire you have, you might "feel" the road even more because of a lower profile tire. It shouldn't vibrate, but it prob will feel a little different then stock.

·
Registered
358 Posts
What exactly is the MS6 bolt/lug nut size? Is it 12mm, 14mm or 7/16”?

·
Registered
947 Posts
What exactly is the MS6 bolt/lug nut size? Is it 12mm, 14mm or 7/16”?
[/b]
12x1.5 (almost positive)

Dude, I think you need to read your manual...

·
Registered
358 Posts
I just found this on Doc's garage....
21mm / 12 x 1.5 thread

Can't read the manual now, it's 2 miles away from me.

·
Registered
947 Posts
actually, I am pretty sure it is 14X1.5
[/b]
WOW... Dabears is wrong! :huh:

Did hell freeze over? :nana:

Unless they changed it... IDK... But I remember my are 12mm

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
19 Participants
chuyler1
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing