Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all use to lubricate the rubber and/or vinyl seals on your car, such as around the windows and the sunroof, so they don't dry and crack? I heard that silicone-based products are better than petroleum-based because the silicone won't cause the rubber to dry rot. Same thing with tires, silicone is suppose to be better to use on tires. What do you all use? Product names? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Reading Topic: Lubrication for seals...

While I couldn't find information specifially on rubber or vinyl seals, I did find some general information.

If the exact problem is unknown, keep the seal in a smaller pool so that it may be observed more closely. Be aware that when put with other seals, they may fight for dominance of the pool.

In addition, hosing the seals down will not only prevent them from drying and cracking as you mentioned, it can be a time to play and bond with your seal. Be careful, your seal may even nfind it fun to steal the hose and spray you down!

Keep your seals happy by playing with them, keep them well fed and give them attention, and your seals will be happy.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replying to Topic 'Lubrication for seals...'

Originally posted by applejax

While I couldn't find information specifially on rubber or vinyl seals, I did find some general information.

If the exact problem is unknown, keep the seal in a smaller pool so that it may be observed more closely.  Be aware that when put with other seals, they may fight for dominance of the pool.  

In addition, hosing the seals down will not only prevent them from drying and cracking as you mentioned, it can be a time to play and bond with your seal.  Be careful, your seal may even nfind it fun to steal the hose and spray you down!

Keep your seals happy by playing with them, keep them well fed and give them attention, and your seals will be happy.[/b]

LOL!!! You're a joker, aren't you! :D

·
Registered
526 Posts
Reading Topic: Lubrication for seals...

For anything vinyl or plastic - I swear by Plexus plastic cleaner. It works well on spot-cleaning paint too. Bugs come right off. Easiest place to find it is a motorcycle dealer.

For rubber - I haven't used it, but Apollo 12276810 Silicone Door/Window Seal Treatment was created specifically for door seals etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts