Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With FI right around the corner, and a great chance of it actully coming thru, I'm debating on which way to go first. The stage 3 tranny from CP-E is roughly 5k after all is said and done. Now the turbo set up the Atom is putting together will run around the same(probably less) after purchuse, install, and dyno tunning.

I know later down the road the engine will be pulled and the rod bearings swapped out and the heads cut and polished and so on and so on. So I will be pushing the boost up to 10-12psi range after the engine is built to handle it.

The question is: Do I go with the stage 3 tranny or get the FI first?

This also brings up the question of what our axles can handle before they will want to fail?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Good question. Personally, if I scrape up enough money I'd probably do the stage 1 shift kit and then the turbo and not really be bothered with stage 3 tranny (unless mine suffered an untimely death). Once his project really gets going, we'll probably get more info from Adam on how this combo will perform.

·
Registered
375 Posts
id spend the money now on getting the power to the ground.... then worry about the power

also if your anthing like me once you have the power you will forget about ever needing the traction and just have too much fun making more and more power

·
Registered
810 Posts
get at least stage 2.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
just a mere guess, to properly run 10-12psi like you want with that turbo setup adam is building/getting together, you're looking at 6k or so after install and tuning i'd guess. the kit alone will be 4-5k without an IC or install. i would also say make sure your axle and tranny can push the power to the ground correctly. you don't want what happened to my MS6 axle to happen to your axle.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I woudl go with the tranny and leave it at that. I think the car will run a hell of a lot better and then the turbo would be an added bonus. Considering you can just spin the tires with the 5sp atx stock I would hate to see what a turbo would do...

·
Registered
426 Posts
I explored the possibility of a port injection N20 install. Even a 50 shot would bring my car up to 295-300bhp, which seems like too much to really use with an open differential. I imagine the car doing the Fred Flinstone action for 3 seconds on take-off before actually moving.

Our torque curve really that's bad, but the car wont even chirp on take-off. My quess is the TCM is reducing torque from idle, so maybe it's just possible that the torque managment might actually help an N2O powered car. Who knows.

I wouldnt buy an LSD unless I was sure I was certain I was going FI though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts