1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
drool worthy i think. what was the original stock hp on that rx-7? only other mod i liked more engine was was either the tri-turbo i saw here in tx that was built here and the 2jz supra 3.0l v6 TT put into a rx-7.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
drool worthy i think. what was the original stock hp on that rx-7? only other mod i liked more engine was was either the tri-turbo i saw here in tx that was built here and the 2jz supra 3.0l v6 TT put into a rx-7.
[/b]
supra motor in an RX-7?

that's like putting an STi motor in an EVO or a camry motor in an accord...bitter rivals!

Stock US RX7 is 255hp i think

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
supra motor in an RX-7?

that's like putting an STi motor in an EVO or a camry motor in an accord...bitter rivals!

Stock US RX7 is 255hp i think
[/b]
my best friend had a 97' supra TT and the rear axle snapped one night while he was driving. car flipped but he and the motor were fine. found a 95' rx-7 that had no engine as the guy blew a turbo and snagged it for like 7k. long story short he made 8k off his total loss on the supra and swapped engines and tranny's.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Very sweet. Awesome sleeper car. I wonder if it gets better MPG than with the original Rotary setup.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Very sweet. Awesome sleeper car. I wonder if it gets better MPG than with the original Rotary setup.
[/b]
sleeper? rx-7's aren't sleepers to begin with are they? i would imagine it gets same to what the other ls1's do like 10-14.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Mazda RX-8 will sell better IF they give the option of a small 2.5L V6 or I6 like the IS250/IS300.

Just make the Rotary an option.

When will Mazda GET THAT!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
the rxseven isnt an rxseven if it has pistons in it period...

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Mazda listens to guys like u and......and gets screwed......in sales [/b]
Uhm... The RX-series was never about sales. It's a niche market. Just like the Supra and the Mitsu 3000GT, all of those cars were not meant to be high sellers, but they served a niche. The RX-series is no different.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Mazda RX-8 will sell better IF they give the option of a small 2.5L V6 or I6 like the IS250/IS300.

[/b]
The rotory in a rx-8 is basicly a v6, 2 three sided rotors, each side is acting like a piston as it spins. They are more unlikely to have problems due to the lack of moving parts and make as much or more power per liter of displacement. So they should sell more of them than they do but people don't know about how the engine works and they tend to stick with want they know.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts

[/b]
Mazda doesn't care how many RX-8s they sell. They'll selling at about 1/5th of expectations now and they'll keep right on selling them. They continue to make rotaries, and RX-cars, because it's their thing. GM has the Corvette and the LSx series, Ford has the Mustang and its' Modular DOHCs, Dodge has the Viper and the Hemi, the other Japanese makes have models but not really engines -- Honda has the NSX, Nissan the Skyline, and Toyota at least had the Supra. Everyone has their thing, and the Rotary (and whatever car it happens to be in) is Mazda's thing.

The rotary engine signifies Mazda's Zoom-Zoom mantra. And no matter how much money they lose on the thing they'll continue to make it. They support an entire race series, one that only costs them many millions a year, just to get the rotary out there in professional racing. They have an entire engine facility that does nothing but hand-build rotary engines and an entire R&D team on it. They probably spend upwards of $100 million a year on an engine program that nets them little more than a rather poor-selling car. And they don't care. They just throw more money at making it better and more money at making a replacement.

You think they don't know that the thing would sell better with a V6 in it? They're not retarded, of course it would. But Mazda doesn't care. They didn't build the thing to sell lots of them and they really don't even care if the car costs them money to keep on the market as long as everything else is doing good enough to more than counter the loss.

Throwing a V6 into an RX-series car (aside from totally going against the "RX" name, it would be an "MX" at that point) would totally go against the entire reason that they built the RX-8. They didn't build the RX-8; they built a car to go around their Rotary, the unique thing that Mazda has as an automaker and that embodies their corporate mantra. That's what they really care to sell. Not more RX-8s, they don't care about that; they want to sell more Rotaries.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
while I agree with you sigma almost all of the time, and I agree with you even with what you say now. BUT, trust me they did not make the RX-8 knowing that it would bring them shame. Shame about power claims. Shame about mileage. Shame about unheard of oil losses (this is not 1970).

Thye can still push the rotary. I don't think I said that they should stop the rotary. My proposal is that they build a small I6 or V6 so that normal people who trust the piston ICHE more than the rotary, which incidentally are more than the ones who trust the rotary, would buy this superb car and also contribute to the bottomline of Mazda. Every penny counts. Mazda is not in a position to flaunt throwing money like that. We all know that.

The bane of most people have been their single-minded dreams. The rotary is one of that.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
while I agree with you sigma almost all of the time, and I agree with you even with what you say now. BUT, trust me they did not make the RX-8 knowing that it would bring them shame. Shame about power claims. Shame about mileage. Shame about unheard of oil losses (this is not 1970).[/b]
Well, no, they didn't expect it to have all the problems that it's had, no.

But putting a new engine into it isn't going to help that. All that's going to say is "Hey, we know our engine, our personal baby, sucks. So we're going to offer you this other better option". That would go totally against everything that they're trying to do with the Renesis and everything that the RX-8 was created for.

The RX-8 was not created to sell XXXXX units of a car, it was created to sell an engine -- a rotary engine, and created to sell an image of a company that does things differently.

Thye can still push the rotary. I don't think I said that they should stop the rotary. My proposal is that they build a small I6 or V6 so that normal people who trust the piston ICHE more than the rotary, which incidentally are more than the ones who trust the rotary, would buy this superb car and also contribute to the bottomline of Mazda. Every penny counts. Mazda is not in a position to flaunt throwing money like that. We all know that.[/b]
Pushing the rotary and putting a V6 into the RX-8 are mutually exclusive items. You can't push something with one hand while admitting that it sucks with the other.

Mazda is not in a position to flaunt throwing money like that. We all know that.[/b]
For return on capital invested, Mazda is one of the single most successful automobile companies on the planet right now. It's almost worth more than the entire Ford Motor Company that somewhat owns it is worth, despite selling a tiny fraction of a percentage of the number of cars. Mazda was blowing millions on rotary research and production even when it was hemorraging money years back, you can be damned sure it's going to continue when the company is making money hand-over-fist like they are now no matter what the cost is.

Mazda can afford to blow whatever money it wants to on the rotary program. In the grand scheme of things it's not a lot of money. Selling a few thousand more RX-8s a year by putting a different motor into it would add virtually nothing to the bottomline and do nothing but signify throwing in the towel on Mazda's personal project for the past 50 years. Mazda doesn't want a piston-powered RX-8, it goes against the entire reason why the car was developed. The car was developed to sell Rotaries not V6s.

You're looking at the problem backwards -- It was never developed to add a penny to the bottom-line or sell all that many, so the fact that it's not selling at expectations isn't really a problem. Putting a piston-engine in it doesn't solve the problem it just avoids answering it. Mazda is trying to sell more rotaries, not less. Mazda is more concerned with maximizing the utilization of their very expensive rotary engine production facility than they are with selling more RX-8s. Thanks for flexible manufacturing, RX-8 lines can be convered to producing something else, but unused capacity in a rotary engine plant can't be used to produce anything else. It's a total waste, and putting V6s into most of what you were selling with a rotary would cause huge problems with overhead allocation on the remaining rotary production. Putting a V6 in there would only cause more problems, it wouldn't solve anything because sales volume really isn't considered a problem.

Anyone could go on and on about what cars should have what engines to increase sales. I bet Ford would sell more Mustangs if they put the 2.0L Zetec in there and got the thing to get 36mpg. They put 4-cylinders in Mustangs for a very long time. But it goes against the image that Ford is trying to portray with the Mustang now so they don't.

Image has a value in and of itself. And, no, not every penny counts. If every penny counted then almost every automobile company wouldn't have loss leaders -- cars that they sell for a loss in order to generate interest in the brand or model. Image can be expensive to generate and you get nothing directly tangible in return. For Mazda it's the eccentric styling of the RX-8 coupled with its' highly unique motor that really embodies its' spirit. That's the image that Mazda wants to portray -- as a company that does things differently. There's very little that's conventional about the RX-8 and that's exactly the way that Mazda wants it to be. Big seller or not, they don't care, the RX-8 has gotten ten times the press of any other car they make; occassionally bad, but usually good. They're worried about Rotary image issues, but putting a V6 into the RX-8 would only massively exacerbate that problem.

If you really want an RX-like piston-powered car, just wait for the Kabura. It should be the perfect mix of Miata and RX-8.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
You're looking at the problem backwards -- It was never developed to add a penny to the bottom-line or sell all that many, so the fact that it's not selling at expectations isn't really a problem. Putting a piston-engine in it doesn't solve the problem it just avoids answering it. Mazda is trying to sell more rotaries, not less. Putting a V6 in there would only cause more problems, it wouldn't solve any.
[/b]

if you say so.
I can't believe they invested money on a mass production car with no expectation of any returns. They might have as well built it by hand if they never expected a large amount of sale.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
if you say so.
I can't believe they invested money on a mass production car with no expectation of any returns. They might have as well built it by hand if they never expected a large amount of sale.
[/b]
Even a "poorly-selling" RX-8 still sells 30,000 units a year -- way beyond what you can effectively hand-build. Mazda makes more than a few models of car with even smaller quantities than that.

Mazda is also an expert in flexible manufacturing. It's RX-8 capacity that was unused as the years have gone by have gone to constructing MX-5s and Mazda3s.

The more significant problem is what to do with all the unused capacity in its' newly-expanded rotary engine facility (expanded when the RX-8 came out to keep up with demand for RX-8 production initially). It's not flexible. It can only produce rotary engines. As you sell less and less the overhead cost allocated to each goes up and up. A problem that Mazda is facing even now. Putting a V6 into almost every RX-8 you sell would kill Mazda's ability to manufacture rotaries at low cost because the remaining few Renesis' would have to share a huge amount of overhead.

Mazda is FAR more concerned with selling more rotary engines than they are selling more RX-8s. Which is, again, why putting a V6 into the RX-8 would only cause more problems and cost more money, even as sales of the RX-8 went up.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The rotary in a rx-8 is basicly a v6, 2 three sided rotors..
...but people don't know about how the engine works and they tend to stick with want they know.
[/b]
no offense intended but...
your initial statement just supports how most ..including yourself.. dont know enough about it..
having two rotors with three faces each does not equate to six bangers...

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
..The RX-8 was not created to sell XXXXX units of a car, it was created to sell an engine -- a rotary engine, and created to sell an image of a company that does things differently.[/b]
...I can't believe they invested money on a mass production car with no expectation of any returns...[/b]
mazda has known this since the early sixties..
they knew that other manufacturers relied heavily in their source of revenue..
matsuda took on the unique motor because other manufacturers failed... matsuda saw the motor as a means of autonomy rather than profit...
rotary since its inception were never huge sellers... but yet to this day.. over forty years later is still being developed and sold..
im glad we have a manufacturer that is on this path and not concede to profit margin..

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Putting a V6 into almost every RX-8 you sell would kill Mazda's ability to manufacture rotaries at low cost because the remaining few Renesis' would have to share a huge amount of overhead.[/b]
which it does anyway!

The people who want rotary will still buy the rotary. They are the hard core rotary fans. But how about satisfying those folks too who likethe RX-8 package minus the rotary issues? Sell the RX-8 I6 (v6) and get some revenue that will pay for the excess investment in the rotary.

Again, I am not for stopping rotary development, but somebody has to pay for it. Apparently the rotary over the years has proven that it cannot support its own development.

And I know flexible manufacturing environments. While they are certainly better than a rigid system, it is not as flexible like a flexible water hose. It has its own overheads and needs to hit a certain production qty in order to recover even the setup cost.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts