Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to lowere my car with just springs, how long would it take for the stock dampners to wear out? How much would the ride be? Or is there a lowering spring out there designed for the stock oem dampners? Maybe the mazdspeed springs? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
814 Posts
this is discussed in a lot of threads...so do a search to find more than I know or can tell you about it. Buuuut, you can lower the car springs only, but at some point it will take its toll on your stock coilovers. It will be OK, and you'd have to replace the stock at some point anyway...the lowered spring package would just accelerate the wear and tear they are exposed to. and get the hatch springs by mazdaspeed if you are going with those, and if you got the money....look into the coilover package from mazdaspeed as well at some point...or a good set of Konis

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Q: If I were to lowere my car with just springs, how long would it take for the stock dampners to wear out?
Depends on your driving and the spring and how many miles are already on your stock shocks. Could vary from 10-20,000 miles.

Q: How much would the ride be? Whatever you paid for the car + the price of the spring - the depreciation.

Q: Or is there a lowering spring out there designed for the stock oem dampners? Somewhat, yes.

Q: Maybe the mazdspeed springs? Yes, those and the Racing Beats.

Q: What do you guys think? Depends on what model and engine you have.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Q: If I were to lowere my car with just springs, how long would it take for the stock dampners to wear out?
Depends on your driving and the spring and how many miles are already on your stock shocks. Could vary from 10-20,000 miles.
[/b]
Don't tell that to the many people with 30k+ or some up to 60k miles on stock shocks and eibach prokits...

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Don't tell that to the many people with 30k+ or some up to 60k miles on stock shocks and eibach prokits...
[/b]
As I said originally, it depends on your driving and the spring and how many miles are already on your stock shocks.

There are reported cases on here with people having to replace them at 15-20k miles (you should know that). I rather under-estimate than over-estimate.

If you tell someone 60k and it blows at 20k, they are going to be ticked and you look like the idiot who gave bad advice.

However, if you are conservative and tell them 20k and it blows at 60k, then they are a happy camper.

Plus, what if his stock shocks already have 40k miles on them? He was asking for an estimate without me a) knowing his driving style, b) knowing what type of spring, and c) knowing how many miles are already on his stock shocks. Its a COMPLETE guess to anyone.

You are arguing with me for the sake of arguing over a random guesstimate without knowing any detail about the car, spring type, or miles on it and I clearly stated beforehand that the real answer depends on a lot of un-measurables. Stop it.

Since you seem to know it all, exactly how many miles will his stock shocks last on an unknown spring, with an unknown driving style, with an unknown amount of wear already on the shock?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Philter laying the smackdown :D

How do you know when they're blown anyway? Will the shocks be leaking, or what? I've gotta have 30k or more on the Racing Beats, and honestly I have no idea if my shocks are blown or not :D

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
As stated many times (a lot by Philter too) the MS springs are designed to match stock shocks and I can confirm that I barely noticed , BARELY , a difference in the thump over bumps , it's amazing how they feel smooth as stockers in a straight line already rolling ..... as far as handling in curves , well , noticeably less body roll , upon acc./decelerating ; less dive .... what else can I say than I'm very happy + less gap

now after winter if I still have a front difference in gap with the drv/passenger issue still , I will be swapping them and will take a look first to see if the upper rubber cup isolator is different in thickness from each other causing that as I have read in a thread last week here (forget where :swearin: ) something about diff. cup sizes available from dealer or someting ... sounds like brazier cup sizes :laugh:

·
Registered
634 Posts
How do you know when they're blown anyway? Will the shocks be leaking, or what? I've gotta have 30k or more on the Racing Beats, and honestly I have no idea if my shocks are blown or not :D
[/b]
They start not doing their job. In otherwords the corner of the car with the blown shock starts bouncing around more. A good warning that something's up is if your ABS starts going off when it really doesn't seem like it shouldn't be because it's trying to keep the bouncy wheel(s) from skidding under braking. That's how I first noticed something was up in my A4 (one of my bilsteins blew).

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
i am going to be having MS springs installed next thurs, car has approx 31,500 miles on stock shocks, is this going to be okay? will they last a few months until i can get some Koni yellows, if thats a good idea? not very knowledgable on suspension stuff....
[/b]
Will you be ok.... absolutely. Im running stock shocks on the MS springs for 15k miles now and I drive pretty agressively. I plan on getting new shocks once the stock ones blow. However do take note that the stock shocks will wear faster with the MS springs than the stock springs. How long they last depends on your driving style but this is an acceptable combination.

Philter laying the smackdown :D

[/b]
I wasnt trying to lay the smackdown....... some nitty gritty comments just irritate me. Im usually pretty laid back and jovial.

Anyways, your shocks all of a sudden will not be blown. Its something that gets progressively worse as time goes on. Sometimes, people probably dont notice it because it slowly has gotten worse and they just get used to it or dont think anything is wrong until its horribly worse.

Its something that when you put aftermarket springs on you should watch for. On a curvy road, blown shocks could cause you to go out of control of you are driving spiritedly.

Signs of them going bad would first be obvious noise squeaking or rattling that shouldnt be there. You can put pressure on your bumper and see how your car bounces. If it looks like you car is a pogo stick, then chances are they are going. If you start to bottom out on bumps you shouldnt bottom out on or if you hit a bump on the highway and your car starts to take longer than usual to dampen and return.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't tell that to the many people with 30k+ or some up to 60k miles on stock shocks and eibach prokits...[/b]

It varries on driving habbits and what car you drive.

I'm lucky with my little ole Protege. I've got over 125 thousand miles on stock shocks and have been running the eibachs for about a hundred thousand miles.

Some day I'll get new struts/shocks but i still don't need them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.