Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 6 i wanna lower the damn thing but i keep seeing all this back and forth with just buy springs or buy 2,000 coilovers. Obviously not looking to spend a whole lot just wanna do it the right way.

Rally Racer
I have a 2014 6 i wanna lower the damn thing but i keep seeing all this back and forth with just buy springs or buy 2,000 coilovers. Obviously not looking to spend a whole lot just wanna do it the right way.
Hey there. Doing it the "right way" means doing it for what you need.
If you just want a little better appearance then a modest 1" -1.5" should be fine with springs. If your wants dictate you need to go lower it will take a coilover.
It is always about compromise. If you want it for track time on the weekends, then a bigger increase in rate will be fine for the track, and you'll have the advantage of adjustability. in a coil-over. You won't be able to drink coffee on your commute into work without wearing it but who eats and drinks in their car anyhow? Again, compromise

I wanted an increased rate (stiffer to control brake dive) but I didn't want to go lower necessarily because I need to use the car on public roads (driveways and speed-humps). I Settled on a spring that dropped 0.75" and increased the rate 30%. This was perfect for me.

Figure out what you want, and are willing to compromise, and we'll help you with options, opinions and whatever else we can. 馃憤

Registered
Be aware that the stock height JUST clears a standard "curb bumper" on the front skirt in parking lots.

IF you lower the vehicle then it will NOT clear, and the front sightlines on this vehicle make it quite difficult to judge EXACTLY where the front of that lip (NOT the hood) is. Get it wrong and you will tear it off or severely damage it as it is NOT structurally reinforced.

This may not matter to you but it's obvious that Mazda set the front ride height with this factor in mind. It is of course possible to add ultrasonic sensors so you KNOW where that skirt is in terms of an obstruction when pulling into a parking place but without those on a lowered vehicle you're very likely to prang it, and it won't be cheap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts