Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With all of our current options, I think I've finally decided to bring the 6 down a notch (or two). I'm curious about overall ride quality, and while I can certainly search each one individually and know it's subjective material regardless I think it would be a good thing to compile in one place.

SO! Let's here and see what you've got. Please include-

1)Brand of Springs/CO kit
2)advertised drop (if applicable)
3)Actual drop (if known)
4)Handling
5)Comfort level compared against OEM

Thanks to all who participate!

For quick viewing:

PRiiCeLeSS - H&R
1. H&R Springs
2. 1.2" drop (Front) 1.3" drop (rear)
3. I would say 1.2" (all round)
4. Handling: is better compared to the OEM setup. The car feels more planted and confident around corners.
5. Comfort: Depends on your style. I like feeling the road so I don't mind feeling the bumps. If you like the original feel of the car or don't want to feel all the nicks and crannies of the road best to (opt out).

Sideways The Seven - H&R
1. H&R Springs
3. 1.3" all around, nice and level
4. Handling: Planted, planted, planted. The downside is that you really do see that the stock wheel/tire setup are the weak link in the chain.
5. Comfort: This is going to be a matter of taste. It is firm, but not harsh. There's no seesawing or bouncing around, but make no mistake, you're in a lowered car. With this setup you come away feeling that H&R took the time to match the springs to the factory dampers.

crf50racer - Corksport
1. Corksport springs
2. 1.75" (all around)
3. ?
4. Handling: ?
5. Comfort: Very high, near OEM - no major perceptable difference confirmed back to back with a stock car. (comparison car was stock on 19's, VS Corksports on 17's)

OCTOGONPC - Tanabe
1)Brand of Springs/CO kit: Tanabe NF210 (TNF173)
- Tanabe USA R&D Blog | Tanabe NF210 Springs on 2014 Mazda 6
- Tanabe NF210 Lowering Springs Mazda 6 (2014-2015) TNF173
2)Advertised drop (if applicable): 1.0" front/back
3)Actual drop (if known): 1.0" front/back
4)Handling: Significantly improved over OEM.
5)Comfort level compared against OEM: 85-95% of OEM Ride Comfort retained.

·
Registered
497 Posts
With all of our current options, I think I've finally decided to bring the 6 down a notch (or two). I'm curious about overall ride quality, and while I can certainly search each one individually and know it's subjective material regardless I think it would be a good thing to compile in one place.

SO! Let's here and see what you've got. Please include-

1)Brand of Springs/CO kit
2)advertised drop (if applicable)
3)Actual drop (if known)
4)Handling
5)Comfort level compared against OEM

Thanks to all who participate!

1. H&R Springs
3. I would say 1.2" (all round)
4. Handling is better compared to the OEM setup. The car feels more planted and confident around corners.
5. Comfort: Depends on your style. I like feeling the road so I don't mind feeling the bumps. If you like the original feel of the car or don't want to feel all the nicks and crannies of the road best to (opt out).

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know we have more lowered on other springs, where are you guys at with the Tanabe and Corksport reviews? Didn't someone here have the BC CO kit also? =/

thanks priceless, I like the more firm ride of a lowered car. I'm one of the few that praised the ride of the CX-7 where most reviews note it as too firm, so I'm definitely in the hunt, I've always felt the 6 was a tiny bit "soft". (also prefer the miata's feel over the 6 and the formula...)

·
Premium Member
259 Posts

Thought I'd post this here for you, even though I know you saw it on the CorkSport post.

As far as a review, love them. Not too harsh at all, especially after they break in. I'll find out how good they are tomorrow. Unfortunately this evening while on a nice curvy road, I came around a turn and hit something very large and very dead in the road. I'm hoping I didn't blow my shock, but the hit was extremely jolting. I can only describe the object as the size of a small child and the entire left side of my car went into the air when I hit it. At least that's what it felt like. It's dark now so I can't see any damage, so I'll find out in the morning. But overall, after a week riding on these, they handle the rough roads around here very well, and I love the handling.

Reactions: Badbenz94

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ouch, sorry to hear about the hit, lucky if the only thing it took is the shock from the sounds of it though! I look forward to hearing more from you though, I'll likely be going the corksport route myself soon thanks to you and Akira LOL.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
ouch, sorry to hear about the hit, lucky if the only thing it took is the shock from the sounds of it though! I look forward to hearing more from you though, I'll likely be going the corksport route myself soon thanks to you and Akira LOL.
Took a nice long ride today on different types of roads and even went so far as to meet up with @robdeniro0. Fortunately I see no issues so far. Ride is still firm and smooth. My neighbor I took with me today didn't even notice a difference, and even Rob liked the ride. Fingers crossed that the strut is okay. <_<

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts

1. H&R Springs
3. 1.3" all around, nice and level
4. Planted, planted, planted. The downside is that you really do see that the stock wheel/tire setup are the weak link in the chain. I'm planning stepped improvement until I can nail down the proper setup
5. Comfort is going to be a matter of taste. It is firm, but not harsh. There's no seesawing or bouncing around, but make no mistake, you're in a lowered car. I haven't been in a car with the Corksports for comparison, but with this setup you come away feeling that H&R took the time to match the springs to the factory dampers. Plus, a progressive-rate spring will typically give a better ride relative to their static-rate counterparts. I am VERY pleased, but it made me want MORE from this car. This chassis could EASILY handle significantly more power. I'll have to rectify that.

·
Registered
338 Posts
1. H&R Springs
3. About 1.3"all around, a hair higher in the front
4. Handling: A bit more planted in the turns, still getting a feel for it, have not pushed it too much as of the install.
5. Comfort: A bit bouncy on some roads, but nothing horrible. Much more comfortable than my Mazda3 I had with CS springs, thats for sure.

Attachments

Reactions: Marc N

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
1. H&R Springs
4. Handling: A bit more planted in the turns, still getting a feel for it, have not pushed it too much as of the install.
5. Comfort: A bit bouncy on some roads, but nothing horrible. Much more comfortable than my Mazda3 I had with CS springs, thats for sure.
That initial bounciness wears off after the springs get broken in.

·
Registered
781 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
1. H&R Springs
why does yours look lower than others on H&R? Looks awesome but it makes it so much harder to decide H&R or Corksport lol

·
Registered
134 Posts
So I just got my 15 Touring yesterday and I do plan on lowering it once someone comes out with aftermarket shocks for it. I'll probably go with H&Rs based on overall company reputation.

I do have one silly question though since this is the first time I have EVER bought a brand new car and had a warranty on it.

Has the dealer given you any crap about your car being lowered when you bring it in for service?

Obviously 1" to 1.3" is not a significant drop so it's not like it's slammed til the axles are binding or the oil pan is getting busted, but I'm curious to see if the dealership would scrutinize that and give you any flack for it.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts