Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Care to lower the air temp in the engine bay?

This has been in the back of my mind for awhile. Today, I finally emailed Run Cool for our group and they are offering 10% coupon code: mazda2020 for any set of hood louvers. I have been researching the Medium Hi-flow louvers as they seem to be the best for our cars since they are NA 4 cylinders and they come at a cheap price for less than $200 a set! I was hoping to hear some opinions and see what you guys had to say. They have a Miata in the gallery to check out as well. I don't get anything for this except the discount code I have provided. I hope this is okay to the forum admins.

I think this would be worth doing but still on the fence. I look forward to your thoughts!

Run Cool

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6 Sport MT
10 Posts
This seems like a gimmick to me, but cool that they offered a discount code for the forum. I guess it depends on how hard you drive your car consistently. I can't imagine these 2.5L engines getting hot enough to warrant hood vents. Maybe if you live in Arizona or Africa.

This page had me laughing. "Buy our product, otherwise THIS will happen!"

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
This page had me laughing. "Buy our product, otherwise THIS will happen!"
That is scary! Although I don't think I can catch a fire. 😀

Looking at the site, I can't imagine cutting a hole with the car on my own. I can't do it professionally.

If you don't need to make a cut through the hood, then it is a gimmick! And speaking of which, I didn't read everything so I don't know if it is or not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I saw on the site, it's legitimate. You need to cut holes in the hood. I would also have it done professionally. LEOs and off roaders typically use these. I only found this website a few years ago when I was subscribed to a K9 officer magazine (that was my dream job and didn't pan out)

Anyway, I thought this would be worth mentioning because I've seen so many complain about SRI heat soak or CAI and finding ways to make it cooler. I don't have an SRI on anymore but, still think this could be beneficial especially being that I'm in Florida.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I used the discount code with a medium Hi-flow louver added to the cart and saw it saves $17, covering shipping cost (flat rate is $12, US) and then some for a total of $173. I plan to call an off road specialty shop in my area today for an estimate on install. Like I said, still on the fence but very interested in the benefit of cooling the engine by allowing hot air to escape to the point maybe I'd try the SRI again. Also, I think it looks cool having black louvers on the hood lol

Later today

Contacted the off road shop and yes, obviously surprised to hear the application but said should be the same kind of work as on a Jeep so 1 hr off work for $140. That's around $315 when all said and done. At least if I went ahead and did this in my area. I don't think that's bad at all if it would help mitigate the heat around the engine. Still pondering...

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think it might make sense in border patrol trucks that idle 12 hours a day in hot climates or in V8 drag racers... But for a 4 cyl. commuter car like the 6? Not sure. They will definitely drop your resale value without a doubt, if that's a concern.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it might make sense in border patrol trucks that idle 12 hours a day in hot climates or in V8 drag racers... But for a 4 cyl. commuter car like the 6? Not sure. They will definitely drop your resale value without a doubt, if that's a concern.
Thank you for a real response to make me think the pros and cons of the idea. I haven't thought about resale value. Although, I have no desire to get rid of my car as I'm the original owner and it has been truly the best car I've owned. That being said, I'm just wondering if it would help an SRI or CAI. I would think in humid climates like Florida, it would have some kind of actual benefit that'd be worth cutting into the hood.

I have seen too many posts on here without replying for years about trying to negate the heat. I've seen people on here with engineering backgrounds and hope to hear from them. I thought it would help those that may want a real resolution to that modification.

Please, I'm interested in hearing pro/con responses with some kind of explanation, like what I quoted in this post.. thank you

·
Rally Racer
2,542 Posts
I think it is a great idea. The under-hood temp in my Mk.1 is ridiculous. I am convinced it is what kills my battery after 2-3 years. I don't like the idea of rain running down the hood while it is parked and just dripping on the engine.
I would be more inclined to use a side vent for air removal.

It would have the added benefit of "fitting in" when I cross the highway to visit the salvage yards, as most of those folks already know about the advantage of engine ventilation.
:unsure:

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6 Sport MT
10 Posts
If you are going through with this, be sure that the shop applies some sort of coating to the exposed hood metal post-cut. Otherwise, it may expedite rust, paint peeling, etc...

I think the best solution to not take in warm intake air is to get an airbox, similar to the stock design. Or just use the stock intake with a better filter. That way, engine temps will not impact your intake performance.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Did I get it right, $300 for cutting a hole and putting that thing just to "cool" the engine? I can't see how I will get my "value of money". I mean, what will I prolong? Engine? Battery?

If it's the battery, then how many replacements of battery do I need to get my money back. In other words, return of investment.

If it's for cosmetic reasons, then "no logic" can explain it. A painting can cost thousand of dollars, and can even be a price of a car. For someone who has no appreciation of art, or who has no money to buy such things, it doesn't make sense.

I don't think I made a good analogy about painting, but I won't pay for that engine cooling thing. I might as well use the money for sound system.

I have to admit, the white old car on the website looks great with it. If that's the case, I might pay for it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Thank you for a real response to make me think the pros and cons of the idea. I haven't thought about resale value. Although, I have no desire to get rid of my car as I'm the original owner and it has been truly the best car I've owned. That being said, I'm just wondering if it would help an SRI or CAI. I would think in humid climates like Florida, it would have some kind of actual benefit that'd be worth cutting into the hood.

I have seen too many posts on here without replying for years about trying to negate the heat. I've seen people on here with engineering backgrounds and hope to hear from them. I thought it would help those that may want a real resolution to that modification.

Please, I'm interested in hearing pro/con responses with some kind of explanation, like what I quoted in this post.. thank you
If you're not planning on selling it and like the looks of it, go for it. It's not going to hurt anything.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay guys, what's the point of doing anything such as a CAI, SRI, etc for a 4 cyl commuter. Hot air rises so I would think this would be more of a benefit than anything else that has been mentioned..for example (not relatable to topic at hand but, still) removing an engine cover to save 4lbs of weight..like that'll do anything.

When trying to lower the temperature in an attempt to obtain some kind of benefit, I would think adding an escape vent as opposed to some heat wrap or shield would be more beneficial of getting cooler air. I understand that you may think it would be pointless to do but my title to this discussion did pique your interest enough to check it out so that should say something lol.

All I'm saying is that, this is probably a better alternative to get cooler air by letting the hot air escape rather than blocking it or having another material absorb the heat. The vents would be placed somewhere on the hood that would be most beneficial to getting as much hot air out as possible. It would have nothing to do with batteries, or prolonging engine life. And this doesn't even have to be purchased by run cool. I saw the off road shop near me offer universal hood vents that are low as $88.. I just hoped it would've gotten more positivity from this group. I tried to suggest an alternative that seems more like a difference maker.

of course the negativity makes me think less of the idea but who knows, I may still be the first to do it on a Mazda 6 down the road lol

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6 Sport MT
10 Posts
Okay guys, what's the point of doing anything such as a CAI, SRI, etc for a 4 cyl commuter.
For this car? None, unless you have a tune with forced induction. The stock air box already takes in cold air. I have yet to see an aftermarket intake dyno for these cars that truly improves HP without taking HP away at some end of the RPM range.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
mentioned..for example (not relatable to topic at hand but, still) removing an engine cover to save 4lbs of weight..like that'll do anything.
In racing, weight matters. A colleague of mine was running twice consistently and finally decided to remove his spare tire. He gained two seconds from it.

It would have nothing to do with batteries, or prolonging engine life.
If I may ask, what then will you gain from spending money on this?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello all,

Care to lower the air temp in the engine bay?

This has been in the back of my mind for awhile. Today, I finally emailed Run Cool for our group and they are offering 10% coupon code: mazda2020 for any set of hood louvers. I have been researching the Medium Hi-flow louvers as they seem to be the best for our cars since they are NA 4 cylinders and they come at a cheap price for less than $200 a set! I was hoping to hear some opinions and see what you guys had to say. They have a Miata in the gallery to check out as well. I don't get anything for this except the discount code I have provided. I hope this is okay to the forum admins.

I think this would be worth doing but still on the fence. I look forward to your thoughts!

Run Cool
Depreciation? Lots of luck even selling your car later except to the rare someone that likes the idea. Real louvered hoods used to be popular many years ago. Specialty companies actually cut louvers into your hood to exit the engine bay air. Some cars actually had cooling issues, especially with V8 engines with headers installed. Since the hood had the louvers cut into it, the hood had to be repainted. This was in the late 1950's and early 1960's. The Chevy Camaro of certain years had similar louvers in it's hood like in the picture. I suspect they were fake though. To control engine bay heat for police cars that sit running for hours at a time for highway construction duty, cops simply open the hood.
Cost aside, your engine or engine bay may exit hot air but also will allow rain water in and will get flooded during heavy rain, that never is a good idea.
A few years ago I thought it was a good idea to wash the dust out of turbo intercooler, it sits on top of the engine for the MS6. One of the spark plug boots allowed water to get past and into the plug well. No immediate problem, but later going down the interstate all of a sudden I had a really bad engine miss so had to limp home. A four cylinder engine with one out--not good. So had to remove the intercooler and the plug coil, then blow out the plug well with compressed air. Obviously had to deal with why water got past the plug boot. The water didn't short out the plug immediately, engine heat must have created steam and that did it many miles later.
Want a cool car--keep it clean inside and out. All through the years, someone has always come up with some silly thing to save gas or increase power.
A personal note on performance promises. After keeping my bone stock 2007 car stock for 12 years, last year I fell for the increased power sales pitch and installed a CorkSport short ram air intake. Pushing the car, that was plenty fast before, I can't tell any difference after the intake install. The intake is a fine product but in hind sight, I would not buy it again, not worth near $300. No turbo spin up sound with the air filter box gone, instead the engine makes an air sucking sound when on the go pedal-not cool. Pop the hood, the red boot to connect the black intake to the red filter sure looks cool but not $300 cool.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts