and what's the chances of getting a hydrolock :S

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
lower mainland does get quite a few windy/rainy days
how many of you guys have got CAI
and what's the chances of getting a hydrolock :S
[/b]
I put a Fujita CAI on my Speed6 back in July. No problems at all driving around in the monsoons we've had in the previous few weeks before this snow. The Fujita CAI put the filter right in front of the left wheel well liner, and the tip of it is about 7" - 8" above the ground. Of course I tend to avoid driving thru really deep puddles but that's common sense.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ic... the mazdaspeed CAI for the 2.3L
that I am looking at~ :D
anyways..mine's an 04 atx...but it says it's only for mtx?!!! why!!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
We don't get enough rain for any of us to really hydrolock with a CAI.

I had an Injen and never had any problems.

In fact, I don't think I've even seen a puddle get deeper than a few inches in Vancouver...this is including when we had the flood in North Van several years ago.

Also, a CAI being built for MTX only is strange. It wouldn't directly affect the drivetrain at all.

It might be because the Speed 6 only comes in MTX.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We don't get enough rain for any of us to really hydrolock with a CAI.

I had an Injen and never had any problems.

In fact, I don't think I've even seen a puddle get deeper than a few inches in Vancouver...this is including when we had the flood in North Van several years ago.

Also, a CAI being built for MTX only is strange. It wouldn't directly affect the drivetrain at all.

It might be because the Speed 6 only comes in MTX.
[/b]
yah? so getting an CAI won't be a problem?
that CAI is for the non-turbo 2.3 though...
there's another one for the speed6 :( damn i want one

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
i have the k&n typhoon intake which you can convert between cai and sri. the most i ever got was just splashes with the cai. after going through some flooded streets in november i sorta glad i have a sri. i guess just be careful.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
yah? so getting an CAI won't be a problem?
that CAI is for the non-turbo 2.3 though...
there's another one for the speed6 :( damn i want one
[/b]
Yup. An intake has nothing to do with the gearbox :)

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I have the CP-E. If an intake says it's for MTX only, there could be a chance that the thing just won't physically fit. The ATX and the MTX might have different dimensions. If it says it's for MTX only, it probably won't have any mechanical issues being installed on an ATX, but you might not be able to get it on. I don't think that's an issue for the 6 though.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I have the CP-E. If an intake says it's for MTX only, there could be a chance that the thing just won't physically fit. The ATX and the MTX might have different dimensions. If it says it's for MTX only, it probably won't have any mechanical issues being installed on an ATX, but you might not be able to get it on. I don't think that's an issue for the 6 though.
[/b]
Hmm...but considering where the intake is mounted, there's a good chance that's not the case though.

Intakes tend to be universal fits, only varying in design across different engine sizes.

The engine bay dimensions are the same on both transmission types, since they sit below the engine.

You can also tell because manufacturers rarely specify whether a part only fits on a certain transmission type, unless it's a clutch or something obvious like that.

Did the product actually say "for manual transmission only" or "for Mazdaspeed (blah blah) 6 spd manual"?

man if i get that thing for my ATX i think my dealership will void my warranty ><
[/b]
This one's been discussed about a million times :D but they can't actually void your warranty unless a non-OEM part causes a break down. For example, if you hydrolock from installing a CAI, they'll likely throw the owner's manual at you. A dealership can, however, deny you service for having any non-OEM part on. Although this is pretty rare, since they often can't even recognize a CAI when they see one, you'll have to pick and choose between dealerships. The guys at Morrey Mazda are pretty nice, as well as Wolfe Langley. What I always do is make some friends at the service department through a series of small talks whenever I'm there for something. It's a nice guarantee :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts