Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the problem.... i've set up systems in many cars before, but this is the first time i've ever touched anything w/ bose in it.

I started off by running all my wires. got the remote lead and power easy. For the speaker signal, i tapped into my rear speakers, ran that signal into a line level converter, and then the RCA's to my amp.

i have the sub bridged for more power and my gain almost all the way up. I know how to tweak my systems, but this is confusing the shit out of me.

does bose put extreme crossovers on their speakers so i can't pull a good low end signal? does anyone have any ideas as to how i can make my sub bump like it should????

thanks for any and all help

-smitpsk

-this will be no problem once i can get that SHITTY head unit out of there..... but until then i need a fix!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Reading Topic: Low output from alpine sub

#1, the gain is not a volume knob.

#2, THE GAIN IS NOT A VOLUME KNOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christ, I can't repeat this enough. The gain control is a potentiometer used to match the input voltage to your amp's output stage, nothing more. All you get by turning your gains up all the way is massive distortion and the potential to smoke your sub.

And as for the low output.... What speaker are you tapping for signal? I'm guessing the amp has it's crossovers before the output stage, so you MIGHT be tapping into a signal that's only 100hz to 20Khz. Of course, it's all theoretical until I take apart a Bose amp.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replying to Topic 'Low output from alpine sub'

i tapped into the rear left and rear right speakers to get my signals running into my LLC........

·
Registered
657 Posts

Shettle, that wouldn't affect the output of the amp, he's just getting a signal from there. What's the crossover opn your amp set at?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Originally posted by Entropism

Shettle, that wouldn't affect the output of the amp, he's just getting a signal from there.  What's the crossover opn your amp set at?[/b]

My crossovers on my amp are set at around 65 or 70 Hz along w/ my frequency turned down as low as it can go...

i messed around w/ hundreds of different settings, and that's what sounded the best so far.

i had a new thought the other day though... i tapped into my signal after the bose amp, sooooooo... are there crossovers in that amp??? what would happen if i caught the signal before the amp. I originally tried to get behind the stereo to get my signal, but found it so much easier to get teh signal elsewhere.

any new thoughts??? drop me some love

PLUS, anyone w/ a speaker upgrade w/ the BOSE stereo, gimme a shout. i'd like to ask u a few questions....

*** I NEVER WANTED THE BOSE SYSTEM... AND NOW I'M PAYING FOR NOT ORDERING THE CAR...***

this is a huge problem for mazda, and hope they correct the stereo situation for th 04 model

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Reading Topic: Low o

*** I NEVER WANTED THE BOSE SYSTEM... AND NOW I'M PAYING ORDERING A CAR...***

Huh?
1) What does that mean
2) They're not going to change it for the '04

The only real problem with it is the lack of a DIN head unit. Other than that it's fine/great for a OEM stereo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

my bad......

i meant to say - now i'm paying for NOT ordering the car...

people w/ the stock radio do not have as many electrical problems w/ adding a system... talk to any car professional who has worked on the 6... the bose system is a nightmare

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Reading Topic: Low o

Oh absolutely - that's because if you want to add something to the Bose, you need to basically replace the entire system.

Remember, Bose uses all proprietary equipment, and keeps it's power levels/etc secret. It is NOT meant to be added to. This is not a "flaw" in the system, it is exactly as it is meant to be.

You can bypass the Bose system entirely except for the HU if you want (one guy on here even bypassed the HU by mounting a new one in the glove compartment). Get new speakers / amp.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

You can bypass the Bose system entirely except for the HU if you want. Get new speakers / amp.

That's most likely what i'm going to do, i'm just waiting to see a few more systems entirely done. I like being a pioneer in the things i do w/ cars, but i'm just a little scared of this now.... i talked w/ the dealer and a car audio place in williamsport PA, and they just got done replacing an electrical system in a car because someone was messing around w/ the stereo wires. kinda scary

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Haha yeah. I practically blew out the electrical system in my Stratus when I was trying to figure out which wire was power and which was ground through the cig lighter to power my mp3 system :p

I just wish the HU had an input and read text. Those are my two biggest issues with the stereo system. It is pretty good sounding, although more bass couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I def. agree though.... it sounds good, just needs a little more on the low end

I'll let you know if I get anything figured out

·
Registered
541 Posts

Yeah, I don't think it sounds too bad, I just want some more punch in the low end. I'm thinking about installing an Infinity Basslink and pulling the signal off the speakers before the Bose amp. Hopefully that will give me a "cleaner" signal to the sub since I'll essentiially be bypassing the Bose amp.

I haven't had a chance to look at the wiring under the passenger seat yet. I'm hoping I can tap into the wires coming from the head unit to the Bose amp there instead of taking the center console apart to get to the back of the head unit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I was looking under the seat yesterday for wires.... i founds 2 clips, a yellow and white one. the yellow clip only had wires coming into it, there was an empty clip??? and the white one had a green and red wire leading in and 4 leading out.... looks like they were going to the amp

I think i'm actually going to remove my seat in the next few days and try to tap into wires there

·
Registered
11 Posts

Originally posted by Entropism

#1, the gain is not a volume knob.

#2, THE GAIN IS NOT A VOLUME KNOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christ, I can't repeat this enough.  The gain control is a potentiometer used to match the input voltage to your amp's output stage, nothing more.  All you get by turning your gains up all the way is massive distortion and the potential to smoke your sub.

And as for the low output....  What speaker are you tapping for signal?  I'm guessing the amp has it's crossovers before the output stage, so you MIGHT be tapping into a signal that's only 100hz to 20Khz.  Of course, it's all theoretical until I take apart a Bose amp.[/b]
hahaha...i love it when the newbies use the gains to get more bass.

i see signal clipping and blown coil in your future.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Originally posted by DSMrsx

hahaha...i love it when the newbies use the gains to get more bass.[/b]

and i suppose you have a system set up in your 6? i'd love to hear some actual useful feedback if you're such an expert..... but hey, no harm done. I'm as big of a wise-ass as there is

it'll be hard to blow the voice coil though... i ripped everything out of my trunk today until i can get a better solution to this problem...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Low output from alpine sub'

actually i have one in my rsx.

i dont claim to be no audio expert but i know what i know.

2 12jlw3-d4 with a jl 500/1 amp.

i recently blew a coil on one of subs. apparently, it was from a distorted signal from my crappy stock deck. we have the bose system too, and i highly suggest ditching it. but you already know that.

you could have any number of issues. from improper wiring, enclosure size, or maybe you already blew a coil. cause a blown coil doenst mean it'll stop working, it just means it doesnt work as well.

give me more info on your setup and i'll see if i can help.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Not that I'm excusing anyone that talks about gain for volume, but DSMrsx you should understand that the MZ6's stereo system is rather... annoying and different, when it comes to trying to upgrade any part of it (ESPECIALLY if you get teh Bose system)

·
Registered
356 Posts

DSMrsx,

How do you like the JL Audio subs? I've been debating between that and the Adire Shiva. I can't find any reviews on either one, but the Adire has gotten good praise on this forum.

I only want one sub cause I need the trunk room. Match one of those with a few hundred watt amp and I should be good to go.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts