Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i am now using royal purple 5w20 and my oil pressure sits at 25 psi on my defi gauge, and before when i used redline 5w20 my oil pressure would sit at 30 psi on my defi oil pressure gauge. And i have been keeping a eye on this for awhile, with different oil temps. and it is always 5 psi lower useing royal purple then redline.

my question is that is it a good thing to have lower oil pressure, or is it better to go back to redline ? and oh yeah i check my oil level every week and it is always full.

·
Registered
531 Posts
If you go back to redline and the pressure goes back up then I'd say the RP was probably more viscous at whatever temperature the engine was at at the time. Might be a good idea to verify what pressure is normal for the v6. Personally I think a higher pressure is better for the engine but at 25 psi you might still be within the safety margin.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you go back to redline and the pressure goes back up then I'd say the RP was probably more viscous at whatever temperature the engine was at at the time. Might be a good idea to verify what pressure is normal for the v6. Personally I think a higher pressure is better for the engine but at 25 psi you might still be within the safety margin.
[/b]
yeah i am going to go back to redline and make sure that there is a 5 psi differnce in the 2 oils, but right when i switched to royal purple the oil pressure droped 5 psi, and it satyed that way.

Can anyone comment on what oil pressure is better for the 3.0, is more oil pressure better or less? Should i stay with royal purple or go back to redline?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts