Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I have an 06 with ABS and I just replaced my front pads and rotors and installed the ss brake lines and after bleeding them,(2 person method) my pedal travel is further than before and there’s a little sponginess in it too. Any idea what it might be causing this?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Did you drive the car? Another reason: When you install new pads and rotors there hasn't been any transfer of the pad material to the rotor, so the the friction is low and the pedal feels spongy. Once the brakes have been bedded the friction will be there and the sponginess will go away.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Did you drive the car? Another reason: When you install new pads and rotors there hasn't been any transfer of the pad material to the rotor, so the the friction is low and the pedal feels spongy. Once the brakes have been bedded the friction will be there and the sponginess will go away.
Where the heck do you get that idea? Pad material has nothing to do with the proper hydraulic pressure being present in the system...

·
Registered
508 Posts
I was going to say "I respectfully disagree" :ROFLMAO:

Once you've seated the new pads by pressing the pedal 2-3 times, the pedal should come up and be firm.

If you are bleeding it using the 2 person method, make sure you do each tire quickly. You do not want to wait and give trapped air time to travel back to the highest spot of the line. I suggest you bleed it again and always refill the reservoir each time you do each wheel so you do not have to stop in the middle of the process.

·
Rally Racer
2,268 Posts
I use two methods for bleeding manually (with 2 people).
1st block the pedal so it does not go farther than it normally would when applying brakes firmly.

Procedure 1:
Open bleeder --> press pedal and hold --> close valve. Repeat.

Procedure 2:
Pump pedal and hold --> open bleeder --> close bleeder. Repeat

What @jman1200 said about speed is a good idea. I have my wife trained like pit crew member with less than 10 seconds between each successive bleed event. (y)

Your results may vary.

One point of note is if the ABS solenoid took on air it will need to be bled with a separate procedure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did drive the car after I installed the new pads and bled all the wheels. I did not block the pedal during the bleeding process, though. I’m gonna go back and bleed all the wheels again once I replace the rear brakes. If the pedal doesn’t firm up after that, then it may be possible that the master cylinder might be ruined. What do you guys think?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts