Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say a note of thanks. I finally got around to replacing the stock Dunlops on my 2015 CPO Mazda6 Touring, with the much-recommended BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S. What an incredible difference! It's like a whole new car. This goes a long way to fixing my initial feelings of disappointment with the car.

My remaining dismay was mostly explained by Byakuya in the above-linked thread, who attributed it to electronic steering. Cars ought to feel like they're driving in a slot. If I sneeze, or lean over to quickly grab something from the glove box, the car should remain in roughly the same lateral position. But electronic steering is like a big dumb over-eager puppy, perfectly happy to drive out of the lane and onto the grass or over the cliff if it gets the impression that's what I may have signaled. Steering feels like a 1980's era arcade driving game: completely loose and random, with a complete disconnection between driver and road. Which is not what you want in a sporty car.

As Byakuya said back then:

I think I can chalk a majority of your complaints up to the silly electronic steering. It's not nearly as intuitive as the older 6s, and it makes the car feel different than it really is. It's always trying to compensate for things like wind, which adds to the work needed on your end. I don't like it - not in this car, not in any new car. While it's more reliable than power steering (arguably), I MUCH prefer physically feeling the road in my wheel than some synthetic electronic thing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had the BF Goodrich COMP 2 A/S on my 2016 Mazda 6 GT.. and what a difference the tires made on the car.. Amazing traction in the snow and rain.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I also have the BF Goodrich COMP 2 a/s's and LOVE THEM they completely changed the feeling and traction of the car. The stock dunlops were so dangerous in the rain and only lasted 32K mile before they were bald.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
They're great when new... when worn down.... not so much. I went through a set and didn't buy another, mostly due to that.

·
Banned
703 Posts
As Byakuya said back then

I think this is nonsense. An electric or hydraulic rack can be programmed to feel identical. Newer cars are switching to newer racks with a light effort devoid of any feel but it has nothing to do with how the steering rack is propelled. Mazda has to cater to a broader audience hence which is why the steering is nice and light for Americans to steer one-handed. Other than that, Mazda tuned the steering perfectly while still maintaining a stable and communicative feel when going in a straight-line.

My experience with Mazda electric rack has been with OEM 17" Yokohama Advan A83A tires, and overall feedback has been very positive. Everything feels perfectly tuned together. The tires compliment the response, grip levels and feedback of the chassis particularly well especially when pushing the car in heavy rain. steering feel is quite great for a modern car with actual feedback and feel, yet is still very precise and direct. Unless you push the car too hard into a slower tight corner, overall grip levels are ridiculously high.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
They're nice and quiet WHEN NEW. As they get older they get VERY loud -- about as bad as the Yokos that came stock on my car.... (I have the 17" rims on my Sport)

The other problem is that when they wear their traction deteriorates badly, especially when the pavement is wet. Again, when NEW they're fantastic....

·
Registered
679 Posts
They're nice and quiet WHEN NEW. As they get older they get VERY loud --

The other problem is that when they wear their traction deteriorates badly, especially when the pavement is wet. Again, when NEW they're fantastic....
IMO this is basically true about most tires.

To the point that Michelin is advertising their "Premier" tire as still having good traction when worn.

There's not a tire made that is nearly the tire when worn that was when new. Yes, some are a bit better than others but they all lose some of their traction abilities as well as become louder with age.

NOBODY will ever try every tire made to compare against each other. This is one area (tires) when I think reviews (tirerack for example) are very helpful. Hundreds, perhaps thousands of reviews of a tire rather than a handful.

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
This is one area (tires) when I think reviews (tirerack for example) are very helpful. Hundreds, perhaps thousands of reviews of a tire rather than a handful.
Their reviews are helpful, but I take them with a grain of salt, since who knows how many of them are "sponsored" by certain tire companies, or are written by people with an axe to grind.

The test results are what I pay attention to. The numbers are objective, and it also eliminates variables such as the vehicle driven, and the pavement conditions and environment.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think this is nonsense...Mazda tuned the steering perfectly while still maintaining a stable and communicative feel when going in a straight-line.

Awesome, thanks for setting me straight and explaining that I'm not experiencing what I'm experiencing!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Their reviews are helpful, but I take them with a grain of salt, since who knows how many of them are "sponsored" by certain tire companies, or are written by people with an axe to grind.

The test results are what I pay attention to. The numbers are objective, and it also eliminates variables such as the vehicle driven, and the pavement conditions and environment.

I guess I should have been a little more clear when referring to reviews - reviews of all types which includes the "scales" on a 1-10. Any and all information is worth noting. I'd also like to think that a person can tell rather easily from a persons review if they are being subjective or trying to "sell" a positive or a negative. It becomes apparent quite quickly what someone's intent is when reviewing. If I'm not mistaken you referenced these tests/reviews yourself recently in regards to helping you choose a tire. They are indeed helpful. I'll take there reviews, scales etc. over the one or two reviews folks get on a forum.

By far and away the vast majority of people that buy tires will never come close to owning more than a few different sets, types and manufactures of tires. Especially until they become older and have the opportunity to try a few more. Of course one of those people are here on this site. Lucky us. :frown2:

Often times tires are updated as well and are no longer the same tire as the one you just wore out. The BFG KO comes to mind. They are now BFG KO2's which is a very different tire than the one they replaced.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Ticker has gotten good performance out of a Wallmart-stocked Kelly Springfield performance All Season with a fantastic road hazard replacement warranty... and purportedly excellent wear / continued low-noise and other performance attributes despite wear occurring. I think I have that right.. but wait for Ticker to say.

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
I guess I should have been a little more clear when referring to reviews - reviews of all types which includes the "scales" on a 1-10. Any and all information is worth noting. I'd also like to think that a person can tell rather easily from a persons review if they are being subjective or trying to "sell" a positive or a negative. It becomes apparent quite quickly what someone's intent is when reviewing. If I'm not mistaken you referenced these tests/reviews yourself recently in regards to helping you choose a tire. They are indeed helpful. I'll take there reviews, scales etc. over the one or two reviews folks get on a forum.
You're absolutely right! I reference TR's testing all the time when it comes to recommending tires.

Unfortunately, we all don't have time to check out every different tire in every different vehicle/weather/conditions, that's why I love that TR does as much of that as possible, then shares their results. The last dozen sets of tires, I've bought based on their testing and recommendations, and I don't regret a single purchase, because they all met or exceeded my expectations.

When people ask me what to buy for their own vehicles, I'll do some research (at TR and a few other sites) and give them two or three to choose from. I then tell them to not just take my word for it, but look them up online for themselves. It must be working well, since these same people have come back and asked about other vehicles and/or winter tires.

·
Rally Racer
1,744 Posts
They're nice and quiet WHEN NEW. As they get older they get VERY loud -- about as bad as the Yokos that came stock on my car.... (I have the 17" rims on my Sport)

This is often true. I currently am running these as a 225/45 18 on my 2004 wagon and I agree with how wonderful they are. However, they are on their first dry season (we have two seasons up here in the NW, wet and dry). At around 5,000mi a year I suppose they will be at least 4 years old before they start to really show wear but the rubber will already be getting quite hard and this could make things quite a bit noisier. On the plus side for me is I garage my vehicle so it may help a bit.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts

Completely agree with the above statement. BFGs are notoriously soft so they tend to wear fast and lose a lot of their luster about halfway in. With the Conti DWS06, I didn't notice any degradation in wear or noise until they were about 80% worn.

I sold tires in the mid-90s and the Kelly Springfield made tires weren't actually half bad. Reasonably priced, good roadhandling and decent NVH. In regards to low cost value, they're a good manufacturer.

·
Registered
98 Posts
There was a small comparison performed of new tires vs. worn tires and how some tires do perform well over the full life of their designed tread depth (having "enough" tread on visual inspection is NOT the same as having necessary tread depth). I found the insights worthy of further debate and the findings to be interesting as it's difficult to test or quantify such things outside of a controlled environment such as they used.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonfogelson/2018/04/28/michelin-explores-the-truth-about-worn-tires/#78fe571a3ab7

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ticker has gotten good performance out of a Wallmart-stocked Kelly Springfield performance All Season with a fantastic road hazard replacement warranty... and purportedly excellent wear / continued low-noise and other performance attributes despite wear occurring. I think I have that right.. but wait for Ticker to say.
I just realized the same poster replied on this in the earlier thread I linked to in my OP. He's using Douglas Performance.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I just realized the same poster replied on this in the earlier thread I linked to in my OP. He's using Douglas Performance.
Yep, and while they're not the best tires I've ever run they're quiet, their performance is very good (materially better in dry conditions than wet, but what tire isn't?) and they're wearing well and not deteriorating (so far) in performance and noise profile with age. Considering that they're *half* the price of "higher end" rubber (e.g. Pirelli, etc) and 30% cheaper than the BFG Comp-2 A/S it's really not a tough decision from my point of view.

Now if I didn't put 30k miles+ on the car a year I might see things differently but I do and as such cost-per-mile matters quite a lot to me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
15 Participants
SkootchNC
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing