Mazda 6 Forums banner

Love Bugs

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  virtual 
#1 ·
Have been doing some long distance drives (univ-home) and down in FL there is a serious love bug problem. I can't imagine what I'd do if I had a darker color car. Currently drive a Silver6 and have like thousands of tiny white splats :barf: all over the front bumper and sideview mirrors. Very annoying and pain in the ass to try and get off. :swearin: How does everyone deal with this or is there nothing I can do? Stop mid-trip and clean it up and contiune o_O?

#4 ·
keep a nice coat of wax on it, and if you dont want to clean it off consider getting a bra for the long trips. i know it looks awful but it would only be on there for a couple of hours and save you some cleaning time.

#5 ·
Make sure you keep the leading surfaces of the car (nose, hood, side mirrors, etc) well covered with whatever type of wax you use and the bugs should wash right off with some quick detailer and a soft cloth.

And make sure you do it as soon as possible - even if that means every day. The longer they sit, the harder they will be to remove no matter what.

#6 ·
Make sure you keep the leading surfaces of the car (nose, hood, side mirrors, etc) well covered with whatever type of wax you use and the bugs should wash right off with some quick detailer and a soft cloth.

And make sure you do it as soon as possible - even if that means every day. The longer they sit, the harder they will be to remove no matter what. [/b]

What he said. Love bugs can begin to eat the paint in less than 3 days. When the bugs are bad enough, I wash the bumper off as soon as I get home. If you use a bug remover product, you will need to wax the treated areas as bug cleaners also remove wax/polishes.

#7 ·
I used a coat ofwax as well. I am also in Orlando and drive daily on the 417.

I have a silver Speed6.

#8 ·
Then you know to stay off the Lake Jessup Bridge during love bug season. Fortunately, the love bugs are just about gone. Until next May anyway.

#9 ·
Those horrible things will take the paint off. Don't let them go too long...and like everyone said, keep plenty of wax on the leading edges...including the A pillars and side mirrors.

#11 ·
You guys can try Bug Gauard. It is a temp. protective coating made especially for your purpose. I is only good in try climate as it will wash off with water. We have something more wicked that last 6 months called Finish Protector and will resist water. You can get them here: PROWAX

Here is the page from our catalog:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.