Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 6 Sport
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did this to my 2015 Mazda 6 about 3 months ago and it’s been one of my least expensive mods with the greatest benefit. For those of you looking for a more prominent exhaust note without paying those Corksport prices, consider swapping out your OEM resonator with a Vibrant one!

Vibrant 2.25" Bottle-Style Resonator: Amazon.com: Vibrant 1790 Bottle Style Resonator: Automotive

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 8.32.45 AM.png (photo taken directly from video, so apologies if it doesn't look the best)

Pros:
-you can drop about 10-15lbs with this small change
-louder and deeper exhaust note
-retains a clean note without rasp
-one of the least expensive exhaust mods/options for the 6

Installation:
Unless you know how to weld, you will have to get a shop to put this on for you. For me it only costed $50 flat for the installation and it took only about 30 minutes.

Sound Test:
Because of how hard it is to go off of just someone’s word I recorded both setups before swapping the resonator. In my opinion there’s a clear difference in tone: both deeper and louder. The change is only more prominent when driving and getting higher in the RPMs.

Let me know what you guys think and if there are any questions don’t hesitate to ask them!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I feel if you're going that far, you could get a nice glass pack in there and see how she goes! Probably too much back pressure for a modern motor, but it would be fun to find out how it sounds!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I feel if you're going that far, you could get a nice glass pack in there and see how she goes! Probably too much back pressure for a modern motor, but it would be fun to find out how it sounds!
If youre talking about one with the scoops in it, just go with a larger one (like 2.5" vs 2.25") and itll create less of an issue. But they make glass packs with just perforated tubing inside so its wide open all the way through.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 6 Sport
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

If I'm being honest, I don't even know what a glass pack is. Do you have a link to one that would be compatible with our cars?

·
Registered
606 Posts
If I'm being honest, I don't even know what a glass pack is. Do you have a link to one that would be compatible with our cars?
Glass pack mufflers are pretty much just used by old muscle car dudes to get even louder. They have fiberglass bits that move around and resonate to make more sounds. I believe they're mostly universal fit so you could put them on any car, with mixed results of course: Amazon.com: Upower 2.5 Inch Inlet Glass Pack Exhaust Muffler Aluminized - 3.5" Round 18" Body Length 22" Overall Length: Automotive
Just look up glass pack on YouTube to get plenty of examples. It's all muscle cars and lifted trucks, pretty much.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 6 Sport
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glass pack mufflers are pretty much just used by old muscle car dudes to get even louder. They have fiberglass bits that move around and resonate to make more sounds. I believe they're mostly universal fit so you could put them on any car, with mixed results of course: Amazon.com: Upower 2.5 Inch Inlet Glass Pack Exhaust Muffler Aluminized - 3.5" Round 18" Body Length 22" Overall Length: Automotive
Just look up glass pack on YouTube to get plenty of examples. It's all muscle cars and lifted trucks, pretty much.
Interesting, thanks for the link. I wonder how my car would sound with one of these lol!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I used one on my Talon to simulate a full cat back, only ever used Thrush brand (Cherry Bomb) as they are the originators. There are two style, perforated tube and louvers as i mentioned above. One day my friend needed something done and we hopped down to the local CarX and forgot something back at my house so i ran back to get it. When i came back he said the guys in the garage asked when i was gonna put a muffler on it cause it was loud and he said "i told them it sounds like that cause it does mids 13's and they were like 'oh'" lol.

Also, its not "bits of fiberglass" its a whole wrapping of it in the bulge part of the device. The longer you run it, the more itll burn off and change the tone. Thats the only drawback, which is why i prefer a Maganflow muffler or a louvered type as itll change the tone, but still retain some of the muffling properties as it scoops the sound into the closed chamber even if the glass is gone.

I honestly think the 2.5 would sound good with an 18" body perforated tube or 12" body louvered style, which is what im going to try on my 3 since i cant find a suitable Magnaflow for under $100.

You could make your own cherry bomb style and use steel wool which will last a lot longer. You use 2.25" to 4" reducers, some 4" tubing for the outer body, 2.25" perforated tubing for the inside, or 2" if you want a little more muffling. Stuff steel wool in between the inner and outer tubes and weld.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts