Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm fairly new to this car which I really enjoy as a daily driver. When it comes to working on it, I'm pretty much braindead, lol. I really don't post a lot of questions here since I find the answers most of the time by searching the forum. This place is a library full of information. I couldn't find a clear answer to two of my questions.

1) I was driving from work one day and a 350Z stepped up to me so off we went. I was rolling about 1500 rpms in 2nd gear. I go to downshift to 1st and I hear this sharp knock as if a rock struck my firewall to describe the noise. I do get a thump every now and then driving a bit hard. I've been reading through the threads and from what I understand it's an engine mount issue, correct? I've done my research on aftermarket mounts and there are different ones. So my question is; Which mount should I replace first on a budget that will help my problem? I really hope it's not the Turbo Tech mounts... really pricey.

2) I recently got my car back from the body shop after some a-hole t-boned me. The day I went to go pick it up, it began accelerating funny. It's hard to describe but I'll try my best. It wasn't a hard, rough, bucking or missing type of way. It's more like rhythmic as if someone was pumping the pedal softly to accelerate. This only happens on low rpms as when the turbo's about to spool. It idles fine and doesn't start rough. Same, I read through the threads and people had the similar issues but with different symptoms. I do have a Fujita CAI. I'm going to clean out the filter, clean out my MAF, and check my turbo plumbing for leaks. The weather's been pretty wet and nasty lately. Is there something that I overlooked?

3) Moron question... About when are the spark plugs supposed to be swapped?

Is there a Mazdaspeed 6 club in the Virginia Beach area or anyone that owns one? That would be pretty sweet and would like to pick their brains for knowledge, not literally, lol. Thanks in advanced. :)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
QUOTE (TheMarsVolta @ Jan 25 2010, 05:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1632264
Hi all. I'm fairly new to this car which I really enjoy as a daily driver. When it comes to working on it, I'm pretty much braindead, lol. I really don't post a lot of questions here since I find the answers most of the time by searching the forum. This place is a library full of information. I couldn't find a clear answer to two of my questions.

1) I was driving from work one day and a 350Z stepped up to me so off we went. I was rolling about 1500 rpms in 2nd gear. I go to downshift to 1st and I hear this sharp knock as if a rock struck my firewall to describe the noise. I do get a thump every now and then driving a bit hard. I've been reading through the threads and from what I understand it's an engine mount issue, correct? I've done my research on aftermarket mounts and there are different ones. So my question is; Which mount should I replace first on a budget that will help my problem? I really hope it's not the Turbo Tech mounts... really pricey.[/b]
First off, downshifting into 1st at any speed higher than like 10mph is just asking for trouble.

CP-E and SU both make a rear motor mount that helps quite a bit. If you want the ultimate, get the TT front mount too - that'll make a huge difference.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I had all them engine mounts. And now I have none. Just learn to drive this weird car. The mounts just make the ride quality suck. UNLESS you autoX/track this car, you don't need the mounts DD.

The rock sound was probably our weird 1st gear synchros. Like he said, don't downshift to 1st. I never unless I'm not moving. Or else it feels like a grind when I'm moving.

The hesitation, some of our cars do from the factory. But it could be just the filter. Try cleaning that and reset the ECU (unplug battery) and drive the car smooth to get the ECU to relearn the fuel trims. Then see how it is!

You can keep reading the forums, people have tried various things. 1-2 step colder spark plugs. spark plug spring strech, to name a few to fix the hesitation.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
QUOTE (sbspeed @ Jan 25 2010, 09:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1632277
First off, downshifting into 1st at any speed higher than like 10mph is just asking for trouble.[/b]
Incorrectly downshifting into 1st at high speeds is asking for trouble. Correctly executing a double-clutch downshift to manually synchronize the gear change causes virtually no synchronizer or clutch wear and works very smoothly.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So finally it's a great day to work on the Mazders. I went ahead and clean my filter and it did need some attention. As for the MAF, it was pretty nasty so I went ahead and used some sensor cleaner. I checked all my plumbing and it was ship-shape. I noticed the couplers that Fujita uses are flimsy and crappy so I'm planning to replace that soon with some homemade stuff. I did have the battery disconnected while doing this like ktan91 mentioned. So it took it for spin to realize it was still hesitating. I'm pretty lost on this one. The car has 42,XXX on it with original plugs. One thing I did notice was the tach wasn't rising and falling as it did the hesitation so I don't know what the deal is. I still have the factory warranty on it, but the last thing I want to do is take it to the dealership dreading how long they will work on it. What's next that I can look at? Thanks in advanced :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts