Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone has come to a conclusion about what the ticking / clicking is at idle on the speed6's?? I'm not too worried about it since mine has done it since day one but I'm curious as to what it is. I've heard people say it's the timing chain or the injectors. Does everyone experience this or are most peoples engines quiet?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone has come to a conclusion about what the ticking / clicking is at idle on the speed6's?? I'm not too worried about it since mine has done it since day one but I'm curious as to what it is. I've heard people say it's the timing chain or the injectors. Does everyone experience this or are most peoples engines quiet?
[/b]

When I first heard this on my car I was at an atm with my car running behind me... I almost teared up I was so pissed.

So the very next day I went to dealership (this was after owning it for 4 days prior) and was really upset and cursing. One of the techs walked me to 12 diffrent MSP6's and then a couple 6i's they had on the lot.

ALL of them had the same ticking at idle even with a 5-10 min warm-up on most. Yay Mazda!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah mine does it all the time. Intial startup.... idleing at the drive thru.... idleing after the hour drive to the track. Doesn't seem to matter how hot or cold the car is.

I'm just trying to determine the source. I had accepted the timing chain rationale until a member posted that the chain rides on a nylon guide and should be almost as quiet as a timing belt. Coming from the DSM world I also considered lifter tick but my oil level is good and it did this immediately after I changed the oil too..... usually lifter tick will go away for a short bit right after filling up the oil.

·
Registered
851 Posts
lifter tick is not a result of low oil. although it can be. lifter tick is usually the result of deposits in the lifter galleys. they clog up causing them to click as them move up and down.

i'm guessing the same is going on because my friend with a mazdaspeed protege does the same thing

·
Registered
47 Posts
May be the injectors. I've had cars in the past where you could hear them firing. My GT does it too.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
this is your fuel injectors striving for more fuel... mazda's seem to loose pressure while at idel (no i dea why really, but checked with 3 cars so far all the same) so that noise as stated by other forum members is your injectors ticking away at the lack of fuel that they have. all cars tick like that... ours are just a little louder... people with no engine cover know what im talking about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts