Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title's a bit ridiculous but it's true. Own a 2008 Mazda 6 GH Hatchback.

Was changing my spark plugs and somehow knocked the A/C service valve cap off like an idiot. Currently floating around in the engine bay somewhere. Driven it lightly around my apartment parking lot and I'm pretty sure i can hear it rolling down there too.

Question is: will this serve as a serious hazard in everyday driving or will the cap eventually just fall out?

Also is it alright to cover the low pressure valve with electrical tape or some other alternative I secure a replacement cap off Amazon?

Absolutely clueless as to what I should do.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

·
Registered
2014 Sport NAV - Jet Black Diesel MT6
969 Posts
Electrical tape will do just fine for the time being. The cap is just a dust cap to keep crap out. If you can hear the cap rolling around it probably have fallen onto the bottom shield. It'll just fall out.

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 6 GT & 2006 Mazda 6 GT-MT HB
949 Posts
Why is it that people seem to think local parts stores are all gone or at least not a viable solution for getting parts anymore?
You mean those places where you need to interact with people to buy something?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Electrical tape will do just fine for the time being. The cap is just a dust cap to keep crap out. If you can hear the cap rolling around it probably have fallen onto the bottom shield. It'll just fall out.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the cap serve as a secondary seal to prevent leakage of refrigerant? I have heard stories about a/c techs screwing with customers by loosening the Schrader valve then replacing the cap which very slowly bleeds the system. When the customer returns to have the problem solved, the tech retightens the valve, tightens the cap and charges for whatever the customer is told this miracle cure will cost. I would replace that cap ASAP, preferably with an OEM part. BTW, are the UK ladies still wearing those full cut bikini bottoms or is that an older photo?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts