Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cruising at 40 mph. today and wanted to pass the car in front of me. I pressed the accelerator and noticed there was no power. I pressed it harder, up to 6500 RPM, and there was still no power. It was like the transmission was in Neutral (but it was in D).

I pull over, put the car in Park, then back in D and sure enough I got power back. This time though, the transmission wouldn't shift past 1st gear. At the next intersection I restart the car and everything returns to normal.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No, but if mine ever does that even once it's going back to the dealership and I'm getting a new car.
Yes it's quite worrisome considering it's only been 5500 miles. The car has been babied and I took it in last week for the 5000-mile service. I won't have time to visit the dealership until next weekend so I guess we will see if this happens again between now and then.

I'd love to know what made this happen though.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Sounds PCM/ECU related. Like the clutches were not engaging for it to be in gear. Very strange indeed O_O... Very scary too. If that happened to me going up the mountain I would be doing more than shutting the car off and restarting it, I'd have my dealer/Mazda corp on the line sending a tow truck out regardless of it working again.

Reactions: Bronsonardo

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My buddy thinks my car went into "limp mode" which, if I understood him correctly, is activated by the ECU when it thinks the engine, drivetrain and/or transmission are misbehaving and are about to malfunction. However, I don't understand why the ECU would activate limp mode when I was simply cruising.

BTW, no problems during my 35-mile commute this morning. If it happens again I'm just gonna play it safe by calling a tow truck.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
That's what flagged in my mind at first as well, but you mentioned RPMS would climb just fine. Usually a limp mode will limit RPM's to the lower rev range as well <4K. I dunno, I would just be nervous about driving it after something like that until I knew the exact cause!

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 04 mazda6 went to limp mode once on the highway. Had mazda take my car in and told me that its a faulty TB. Then they said that the part wont be in for a couple of days and told me that it would be safe to operate until then. Told them to shut it and put me in a courtesy car for 2 days or until they replaced the part.

And yes, RPMs will be limited during limp mode. Get your car to your dealer

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot to mention, this occurred right as I happened to drive past the dealership LOL. Sadly it was a Sunday night and they were closed.

As I don't have the luxury of free time this week I won't be able to bring the car in until this weekend. Gonna have to hero it till then. I will update you guys after bring it in or if anything happens before then.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have heard of this happening with the early 2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv 2.0's. It is scary, but fairly uncommon. The dealership should be able to resolve the issue as a few folks who had their issue with their 3's got them patched up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have heard of this happening with the early 2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv 2.0's. It is scary, but fairly uncommon. The dealership should be able to resolve the issue as a few folks who had their issue with their 3's got them patched up.
Good call. According to this thread his issue originated with the transmission valve body and he was able to get it replaced under warranty... that's great news!

On the other hand I found a thread where a fellow 6 owner also fell victim to limp mode. His issue is currently unresolved as it happened recently.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was cruising at 40 mph. today and wanted to pass the car in front of me. I pressed the accelerator and noticed there was no power. I pressed it harder, up to 6500 RPM, and there was still no power. It was like the transmission was in Neutral (but it was in D).

I pull over, put the car in Park, then back in D and sure enough I got power back. This time though, the transmission wouldn't shift past 1st gear. At the next intersection I restart the car and everything returns to normal.

This exact thing happened to me today and I'm freaking out. Left a message with my service guy at the dealer(it was after hours). Probably gonna bring it in tomorrow. I have 7200 miles on this car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same issue happen to me yesterday while driving 60mph on the highway. I got off on my exit and rolled to the side. Restarted the car, and drove for another mile. Then the traction light came on AT light came on, and the engine light came on. Got it home and then drove it latter, and the car is fine. Oh yea only have 3750 miles on the car. What to do???

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue happen to me yesterday while driving 60mph on the highway. I got off on my exit and rolled to the side. Restarted the car, and drove for another mile. Then the traction light came on AT light came on, and the engine light came on. Got it home and then drove it latter, and the car is fine. Oh yea only have 3750 miles on the car. What to do???

This happen to me this morning on the way to work, almost exactly! Mar car is at the dealer now, they are playing dumb saying they have no clue.

I was at 6500 miles exactly!

So what was the issue in the end? Anyone?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
So the next day the car cleared its self, and is running fine. Figured the computer might have gone on the blank or received a bad code. Oh well no dealer and going strong.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry for leaving you guys hanging. My dealer had no answers for me as well "because the car is so new." LOL... It's been nearly 5000 miles and I haven't had any issues... everything is running fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dealer installed a new Valve body in the Trans, they also said something about the having to re-program the trans.

Not sure what that is about, I'll be getting it at Lunch today.

----------------
2014 Mazda 6 Touring

·
Registered
338 Posts
^That sounds about right. A lot of the 3 guys that were having the issue mentioned the same thing about a VB reprogram.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Oh Man... I am now in this life boat too. Cruising home from work tonight, doing about 60, everything is fine, Ironically i was just thinking to myself how nice this car is, and then just crusing along, car starts to buckle/hesitate - no warning lights came on and car kept moving along... was intermittent - Like a misfire almost - not total loss of power... made it home fine and noticed car was idleing a little rough before I shut it off. Is this the same thing that others have experienced?

What is the action plan to resolve? Any input would be appreciated. Car has less than 2,000 miles. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts

The same thing happened to me at just over 16K miles on my 2014 Mazda 6.

According to the dealership invoice, it's TSB 05-005/14. Replace valve body pressure sensor and filter.

On the invoice it shows two different oil pressure switch's were replaced, FZ01-21-2C0 and FZ01-21-2J0. Both came from Canada as there were none available in the US. Bizarre. And furthermore, the two switches came from two different part depots in Canada. They arrived about 4 days apart even though both were shipped overnight.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts