Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my ms6 2 days ago and took it out for a spin last night drove it kinda hard had some fun, but now I can't feel the boost kick in hardly at all... I used to feel it a little under 3k rpm would kick in and be very noticeable now it just kind of lacks power...

This is my first turbo car, it's all stock has 37k miles on it, wondering what I should check for first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope no boost gauge... yet, and no cel and last i put 92 in it. Its really driving me crazy cus I know it's nowhere near the way it was yesterday :/ I've been forum searching I'm gunna check for leaks and also reset my ecu to see if its doing the limp mode thing....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nope no boost gauge... yet, and no cel and last i put 92 in it. Its really driving me crazy cus I know it's nowhere near the way it was yesterday :/ I've been forum searching I'm gunna check for leaks and also reset my ecu to see if its doing the limp mode thing....
Yeah that couldnt hurt. Also you can look for boost leaks. I made a homemade boost leak tester for like 10$, works with a bike pump.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Is it an 06 or 07? If it's the limp mode that plagued this car way back when, before the Mazda reflash, simply turning the car off and on will make it go away (only to return at some random point at a later driving session).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's an 07, I found a post on how to make a leak tester. Went to lowes and put one together now I just need to find time this weekend to get to it, also going to pick up a boost gauge, hopefully driving it around won't hurt.

Also shouldn't there be a cel on from this? Also someone said my bov might be on it's way out but that should throw up a cel also shouldn't it?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Even if you had a boost leak it will still build boost unless its a major one. Then you will hear a hissing sound when going into boost.

Reactions: dougefresh_

·
Registered
306 Posts
Didn't want to start a new thread, but I have a boost gauge and while boosting it shows 15psi-ish but sometimes it doesn't pull as hard and felt like it's leaking...like

Where else could it be leaking from? My MAF is cleaned and i reset the ECU about 500 miles ago. I looked at the BPV tubes and they're tight, the IC hose felt tight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So... I found two leaks... There was a crack under the hose going from the turbo to the intercooler and one I plain sight in the recirc hose right after the clamp. Since the car came from Nevada I guess it makes sense? Now just have to wait till the parts department opens tomorrow.... Sigh

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
That'll do it. I had my TMIC off like a month ago for a tune up. I put it back in without putting the squeeze on any of the worm clamps on either coupler, hot side and cold side. I drove for like 3 weeks with a hilarious high pitched whine at WOT, circa 5K-6K RPM. Boost was below target. It sounded like a fucking trumpet note. I was like wut teh feck?! :(
Then, I remembered I had the IC off and sure enough, worm clamps just dangling, flapping in the breeze.
I also found several holes in my bpv recirc tube. I replaced it with the high temp silicone. I feel this will last longer than what the Mazda factory has to offer...
But, holes in the recirc tube will only allow unmetered air to enter the engine...

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
This is what I have instead of the stock hoses:
StreetUnit Boost Tube Kit
It's a bit overpriced, but the quality is very good. It's worth considering if you are going to replace those hoses. I have no idea how much the stock ones cost at the dealer though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts