Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both end rings around one of the exhaust flex pipe are lose and lower one slides further down to the inlet flange of main catalytic converter and rattles against it. Is there a good way to repair this besides welding so the ring doesn't slide down the tube?

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,851 Posts
Both end rings around one of the exhaust flex pipe are lose and lower one slides further down to the inlet flange of main catalytic converter and rattles against it. Is there a good way to repair this besides welding so the ring doesn't slide down the tube?
I have the same rattling but so far only the upstream ring. I was considering exhaust putty or perhaps JB weld but based on what I remember from the last time I was under there, it did not look to be providing much structural integrity do I may just cut it off to stop the annoying rattle.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same rattling but so far only the upstream ring. I was considering exhaust putty or perhaps JB weld but based on what I remember from the last time I was under there, it did not look to be providing much structural integrity do I may just cut it off to stop the annoying rattle.
I think I will just tie two rings together with a steel wire so they stay in place.

·
Registered
2005 6S wagon 5MT
118 Posts
See attached picture of my fix with wires. It doesn't rattle now. There is a wire on the other side as well.
Oh that's a pretty clever fix.

That was my thought as well, but I guess they did. This car has seen some road salt so that flex pipe isn't exactly in varsity shape.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh that's a pretty clever fix.

That was my thought as well, but I guess they did. This car has seen some road salt so that flex pipe isn't exactly in varsity shape.
I think my rings came loose in the first 5 years in Midwest due to salt. There has been no rust in 13 yrs since I moved to PNW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts