Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys... need your recommendations on tire places.

I'll be upgrading the stock Michelin tires soon and after much thought I've narrowed the choice down to:

Toyo Proxes 4
Falken Ziex 512

I've looked on-line, but I don't really want to go through the hassle of shipping costs, border tariffs, etc, so I'm thinking of just buying from a local retailer.

So... my questions to you, my fellowing Vancouverites, are:

1. Any recommendations on a local tire place that sells at a reasonable price?
2. Which tire would you choose from the above two?

I appreciate all the guidance I can get on this, so thanks in advance to everyone.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I know I need to replace my tires pretty soon as well.. I'm trying not to spend anytime soon. Basically I want to survive this winter with stock tire.. if possible.

Anyhow, here's one site you might want to check out. they're local (maple ridge) store.

http://www.tiretrends.com/ContactUs.php3

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hey Haroon,

You can always give my friend a call

Ricky at volco tires
604-324-5999 732 SE Marine Drive.
Or He might be at the other store

604-270-4727 12291 Bridgeport Rd. Richmond

Just say Eric with the mazda6 sent ya and to hook you up with a good deal!

BTW Spidy how you likeing your new tires??

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much KMs do you guys have on your stock michilins. I had like 60K kms on mine and two of them were pretty much bald, and the other two about 2mm's before hitting the wear markers. Pretty crappy tires.
[/b]
About 60K as well. Mine aren't bad, I don't think (haven't checked them in a while), but I feel that its time to switch. Specially since I'm looking at wheels at the moment.

Hey Haroon,

You can always give my friend a call

Ricky at volco tires
604-324-5999 732 SE Marine Drive.
Or He might be at the other store

604-270-4727 12291 Bridgeport Rd. Richmond

Just say Eric with the mazda6 sent ya and to hook you up with a good deal!

BTW Spidy how you likeing your new tires??
[/b]
Actually, I called them today... Richmond Store. They gave me the best price so far.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting... I've just discovered that 1010tires.com is run by Volco Richmond. I believe I've found my retailer :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yup Ricky at volco tells me that the install and sell tires to alot of dealerships too!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Know what, I probably spoke to Ricky when I called today. But, I'll call again to see if they can beat the earlier price (yes, I plan on dropping some names :))

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Umm... well, from what I've seen, if you mention hilmar's name they might up the price on you instead of lowering it :)

Ha ha ha, i keed, I keed, just ribbing ya!

As for the tires, so far they're pretty good. They're as quiet as the michelins, but I can definitely feel the firmer sidewall. Steering feels more precise and there is less body roll (from the stiffer sidewalls) on turning. So far I'm pretty pleased....

And they're Bridgestone Potenza G009's for those wondering. They're good all seasons with a 420 treadwear. They're the 2nd best ranked tires in their class on tirerack and get excellent reviews on 1010tires.com

zoomzoom, what kind of wheels are you planning on getting next?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
zoomzoom, what kind of wheels are you planning on getting next?
[/b]
Well, I've been eyeing (and drooling) over those ALT Masq wheels that heronew's doing a GB on right now. $430 shipped within the US... so I may just go "visit" my buddy in Seattle :)

And I checked 1010tires.com just now for the Potenzas, but unfortunately the ALT wheels are 18" and the Potenzas only go up to 17"

I think I'm pretty much set on the Falkens from the looks of things.

Numbers look fairly close to the Potenza:

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebran...l=Ziex+ZE%2D512
http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebran...el=Potenza+G009

... except for the treadwear. Falkens don't have good wear numbers.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Well, I've been eyeing (and drooling) over those ALT Masq wheels that heronew's doing a GB on right now. $430 shipped within the US... so I may just go "visit" my buddy in Seattle :)

And I checked 1010tires.com just now for the Potenzas, but unfortunately the ALT wheels are 18" and the Potenzas only go up to 17"

I think I'm pretty much set on the Falkens from the looks of things.

Numbers look fairly close to the Potenza:

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebran...l=Ziex+ZE%2D512
http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebran...el=Potenza+G009

... except for the treadwear. Falkens don't have good wear numbers.
[/b]
Only thing that turned me off from the Falkens is that several comments from reviewers said treadwear is poor, and they loose their grippyness as they age. Now, need to take reviews carefully but I did not want to spend alot on tires again so I went with the 420 treadwear rating on the G009's plus the price was right.

I'd say the G009's are NOT the ultimate high performance tire, and they're also only H rated... I have been able to break the tires free from hard accelerations on these few rainy days, but I also have the CP-E mafci on too.

However, this is Vancouver and we only have like 1 highway -- which is backed up 80% of the time, so having an extreme high performance all season tire wasn't high on my list.

I'm so glad I got these tires at this time though.... coming from Grandview highway onto highway 1 I lost concentration for a brief second and came inches from rear ending someone while it was raining this evening. Thank God, felt the ABS kick in and the tires just gripped as well so nothing bad came out of it... but I KNOW if I had my previous balding michelins I would have rear ended the car in front of me.

·
Registered
721 Posts
My stock tires have 89K on them. I still have some tread left. :) but I know I will need to change them soon.. Is there any good deal on rim & tire combo?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts