Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I've had my platinum metallic MS6 for a couple of months now and it's time for a few mods.

First off, I do plan on upgrading the intercooler which brings me to my first question. Are there any intakes out there that will work with the front mount intercooler kits?

Secondly, Is anyone using a Tial Blow off valve? I know Tial BOVs dont vent back into the intake so I'm not sure if it's an option.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Hey everyone, I've had my platinum metallic MS6 for a couple of months now and it's time for a few mods.

First off, I do plan on upgrading the intercooler which brings me to my first question. Are there any intakes out there that will work with the front mount intercooler kits?

Secondly, Is anyone using a Tial Blow off valve? I know Tial BOVs dont vent back into the intake so I'm not sure if it's an option.
[/b]
You have to get a short ram intake if you are using a FMIC because of the IC piping, a CAI won't fit. Most people who got BOVs are using HKS or GReddy.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
You have to get a short ram intake if you are using a FMIC because of the IC piping, a CAI won't fit. Most people who got BOVs are using HKS or GReddy.
[/b]
Where did you get that information?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I beleive there is only one FMIC that uses a short ram. CPE's is made to use a CAI and can't think of the others. ATP's I don't know if we know yet whether a CAI will work or not since there are no pictures.

Also, for the size of a stock turbo, a Tial would not be very good. It is meant for turbos that flow lots of air (at least a lot more than our small stock one does). Running it on a smaller turbo can (and has) caused problems on some cars. Usually compressor surge of some sort. Note this is on cars other than the MS6 as I don't think anyone has tried it yet since it does not recirculate. You can always try to run VTA but some people have problems some don't. No way to tell until you try it.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Where did you get that information?
[/b]
The only one that was available as of now, last I checked, can't fit a CAI. Maybe a new FMIC has been released that I haven't seen yet. I apologize if that is the case.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I believe the one p5freek uses can be made for anyone, CAI's work, CPE's will work with the CAI's, though should be done soon or is done just finishing up some stuff. Protege garage (?) is the only one a CAI won't work with. Don't know about ATP's yet. And, I think thats it. Maye be another FMIC but I can't remember.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I beleive there is only one FMIC that uses a short ram. CPE's is made to use a CAI and can't think of the others. ATP's I don't know if we know yet whether a CAI will work or not since there are no pictures.

Also, for the size of a stock turbo, a Tial would not be very good. It is meant for turbos that flow lots of air (at least a lot more than our small stock one does). Running it on a smaller turbo can (and has) caused problems on some cars. Usually compressor surge of some sort. Note this is on cars other than the MS6 as I don't think anyone has tried it yet since it does not recirculate. You can always try to run VTA but some people have problems some don't. No way to tell until you try it.
[/b]

I'm not sure if you are aware, but you can get different springs for the Tial BOVs depending on the size of the turbo. They have springs for very small turbos.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
It looks now that ATP's turbo kit comes with a short ram, so their FMIC may also cancel out any CAI option.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm not sure if you are aware, but you can get different springs for the Tial BOVs depending on the size of the turbo. They have springs for very small turbos.
[/b]
Ya, I know you can get different springs for it. But even then people were still having problems running it on smaller turbos. Wish I could explain why. Not sure if its because it lets so much air out at once that with smaller turbos, their is not a lot of air, even though the pressue is there. So the air gets let out but the valve closes too quickly and there still air in it that tries to go back to the turbo because the pressure is no longer there. Don't take that as the reason why, thats just what could be the reason. I know people have hard times running low boost with them and causing compressor surge on some turbos.

Regardless, the point was, the tial is meant for larger turbos flowing lots of air. Not saying HUGE turbos but just ones larger than most turbos on stock cars. Or meant for running higher boost levels. It could work with the stock turbo. I don't know. May work beautifully.

You could just get a 1G bov from a DSM for much cheaper than any other bov and mod it to fit. Or there is a guy on here who sells modded ones to fit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya, I know you can get different springs for it. But even then people were still having problems running it on smaller turbos. Wish I could explain why. Not sure if its because it lets so much air out at once that with smaller turbos, their is not a lot of air, even though the pressue is there. So the air gets let out but the valve closes too quickly and there still air in it that tries to go back to the turbo because the pressure is no longer there. Don't take that as the reason why, thats just what could be the reason. I know people have hard times running low boost with them and causing compressor surge on some turbos.

Regardless, the point was, the tial is meant for larger turbos flowing lots of air. Not saying HUGE turbos but just ones larger than most turbos on stock cars. Or meant for running higher boost levels. It could work with the stock turbo. I don't know. May work beautifully.

You could just get a 1G bov from a DSM for much cheaper than any other bov and mod it to fit. Or there is a guy on here who sells modded ones to fit.
[/b]
Thanks for your input. Have you heard anything about the Blitz BOV?

·
Registered
851 Posts
tial is over kill for this car. i'm running a tial on my talon and it's up in the low 700hp range.

the blitz is not one that a lot of people use, it uses a dual drive system, ie 2 pistons/valves one big one small, and make a sneezing noise. a lot of people don't use it because of the flange, it's kinda of an odd flange, i guess if you really wanted one you could have someone make you a adapter.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thanks for your input. Have you heard anything about the Blitz BOV?
[/b]
No haven't heard much about that one. Seems the HKS, Greddy, and Tial are really the only ones I know of that most people one. There is a rather large one from greddy but forget what it is. Also the turbo XS RFL and regular bov. Though that one is mostly for the sound and is the loudest one out there. Some people say they don't work all the great, and some don't have problems with them.

Id say the HKS, greddy or 1G dsm bov would be the best to look into for our cars. But I know a few are running other kinds on here.

·
Registered
851 Posts
the larger greddy is the type-r, it uses the same flange as the rest of them, but the thing is absolutely HUGE.

·
Registered
353 Posts
the larger greddy is the type-r, it uses the same flange as the rest of them, but the thing is absolutely HUGE.

[/b]
Ya that was the one I was thinking of. I saw one on an EVO once, thing was ginormous. I just didn't see a need for one that big. Oh well.

What turbo you running on your alon? I'm still deciding between going the 2.3 route or the 2.4 LR route. Looking at a FP3065 though regardless of which way I go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts