Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All! New to the forum, just got a used Mazda 6 2012 (2nd Gen) touring model and am looking to install a camera and screen with wireless communication. The 3 products I'm looking at are from Esky, sold on amazon: (sorry links to Amazon weren't sending to correct location with http hyperlink)

www.amazon.com/dp/B00GMC8QXI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=UMXMLXE4BHNU&coliid=I2EZIBWF2AHH0X&psc=1[/url]
www.amazon.com/dp/B00T2HDGIA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=UMXMLXE4BHNU&coliid=I26AL76UPYNY0R&psc=1[/url]
www.amazon.com/dp/B00RVIZQMG/ref=twister_B00RE547V2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1[/url]

Has anyone done anything similar? Where did you tap in to get power? I would like for it to come on with backup lights but also have the ability to power during driving upon user input. Have people used Loctite thread lock to put on the license plate screws to prevent theft? Are there other alternative for camera mounting locations? I've seen some that come out the the license plate light hole. I'm going for a really clean install, especially with the screen, and am hoping to fit it into the lower cubby (link below), and use the power (only on with accessories) slot to power the screen. Don't worry, I charge my phone from the other charger port.

http://image.motortrend.com/f/55282598/2012-Mazda6-interior-dash-and-steering-wheel.jpg

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
907 Posts
I doubt anyone would steal the camera since they would have to cut the cable to remove it.
Since you don't want to have to run wires from the back to front, the easiest way I think would work is to connect the camera power to the back up lights so it will come on when in reverse. In order to turn it on at will, you could wire a switch to the reverse switch in the shifter. The only downside to this is that the back up lights would come on when you press the switch.
I think you may need to run at least one wire to the camera for manual control.

Also, I love the steering wheel on this year. I wish I could switch my '09 for the '12 version.

~Mike

·
Registered
907 Posts
On second thought...

You could hook up the camera and transmitter to constant power in the back of the car. Then, in the front you would have the receiver power connected to both the reverse switch and your manual switch.

~Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply! Do you know of a way to setup notifications if someone replies to your thread?

I don't think anyone would steal it, but re-soldering to the cable after it is cut wouldn't be very hard at all. So someone might if they really want a $40 camera. Your latter comment is what I've been thinking about doing. Can you think of an always on power back there? I guess the trunk light before the trunk switch? Although that might be wired all the way to the front so that there is a feedback when it's open. Maybe speaker power back there? I haven't looked around much but I'm not sure where a power line I could tap into.

Also, the screen I bought has a reverse power signal wire that I plan to interrupt with my own switch to give it the 12v in my manual mode. And when off, only the reverse power will trigger it. Do you know where the best place to tap into the reverse power is up front? I've watched a few videos on it, but it involves stripping a bunch of wires to test them all (I'm going to to this if there isn't a better way to find that power).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts