Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!

I am new to the forum and I subscribed to it as I would like to get some end users and experts point of view on the Mazda 6. This is the car I would like to buy during the 2019 year.

Unclez

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Let us know if you've got any questions about the car. The best I can tell you is to go and test drive one because there no amount of words we can put on here to describe the fun feeling of driving a Mazda :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Let us know if you've got any questions about the car. The best I can tell you is to go and test drive one because there no amount of words we can put on here to describe the fun feeling of driving a Mazda :)
I totally agree! I'm a first time owner of Mazda, the 6 in particular. It's totally different! I mean, if you're the kind of guy who enjoys driving then this car is for you.

The paddle shifter is great when you want some control. If you want total control, then you shift to manual. I seldom use the manual mode, even during racing as the transmission is very intelligent.

Do you remember the film "Avatar"? The protagonist connected his hair to the "dragon" (I can't recall the correct term). That is how I am describing how this car is connected to the driver.

I don't know if a test drive can totally describe what I have said. I wasn't able to try first this car before purchasing it. I know what I did is crazy as I called all dealers and looked for the best deal. After that, I went there and paid the car. I was running on a "deadline" so I needed to get one.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
I totally agree! I'm a first time owner of Mazda, the 6 in particular. It's totally different! I mean, if you're the kind of guy who enjoys driving then this car is for you.

The paddle shifter is great when you want some control. If you want total control, then you shift to manual. I seldom use the manual mode, even during racing as the transmission is very intelligent.

Do you remember the film "Avatar"? The protagonist connected his hair to the "dragon" (I can't recall the correct term). That is how I am describing how this car is connected to the driver.

I don't know if a test drive can totally describe what I have said. I wasn't able to try first this car before purchasing it. I know what I did is crazy as I called all dealers and looked for the best deal. After that, I went there and paid the car. I was running on a "deadline" so I needed to get one.
Exactly - Mazdas are made for DRIVERS, not for A to B. Every Mazda I've ever driven has been just as fun as the last (that new Mx5 RF tho :drool: ) .

And you're not crazy, you're smart haha. You're supposed to make the stealerships WANT your business, not expect it. There was only a single 2014 6 in all of New England with the specs I wanted, so I convinced my dealer to send a guy 120 miles away and drive the car back for me because I was going to do it the next day if they didn't.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Exactly - Mazdas are made for DRIVERS, not for A to B. Every Mazda I've ever driven has been just as fun as the last (that new Mx5 RF tho :drool: ) .

And you're not crazy, you're smart haha. You're supposed to make the stealerships WANT your business, not expect it. There was only a single 2014 6 in all of New England with the specs I wanted, so I convinced my dealer to send a guy 120 miles away and drive the car back for me because I was going to do it the next day if they didn't.
Honestly, I didn't know what to expect from this car. I have zero knowledge about it. It was more of a coincidence and out of desperation. I placed a reservation fee for the 2018 CR-V SX and waited for 3 months until the first week of December. Then I was informed that there won't be any delivery. That is the time I took a look at Mazda 6 SKYACTIV-D. Excise tax is due for the next three weeks and I was running out of time.

I would say, there's a divine hand on this. I wanted the Subaru BRZ but I have a family. If I'll buy the BRZ, I need to keep my old CR-V 98. However, my younger brother had no car. I feel I'm being selfish if I'll have two cars while my brother has none. And that decided me to give freely my old car to my brother and get the 6.

I got the best of both worlds! This is a family car with sufficient space just like the CR-V. My sons never complained about the space, unlike with Tucson and Santa Fe. I am able to race this car, which I doubt I'll be able to do with the CR-V. If I'm feeling like driving spiritedly, the car has sufficient power. If I want to conserve, fuel consumption is great!

Really, no regrets for this purchase. I would have missed a lot if Thailand made the delivery of CR-V.

And for the guy who is looking for this car, drive it home and experience it, it's exhilarating!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Honestly, I didn't know what to expect from this car. I have zero knowledge about it. It was more of a coincidence and out of desperation.

I would say, there's a divine hand on this.

Really, no regrets for this purchase. I would have missed a lot if Thailand made the delivery of CR-V.

And for the guy who is looking for this car, drive it home and experience it, it's exhilarating!
My 2014 Mazda6 purchase (actually purchased in 2013 February) was also a divine intervention. I was looking to replace by 17 years old Maxima and shortlisted to Subaru Outback, BMW 3 series, Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, Accord V6. Mazda was no where on the list and honestly I did'nt know a squat about Mazda. A day before I started test driving my short listed vehicles I was talking to a family member and he said he saw a Mazda 6 commercial and the car looked good. Out of curiosity I checked it out on Edmunds.com and really liked its soul red color, body design and the price point. I first test drove the Subaru Outback and then popped into the Mazda dealership next door, was instantly blown away by the sporty look of Mazda6. Took it for a test drive and loved it, decided not to test drive any others on my short list. The one I drove was a black but I wanted a soul red, the nearest one was at a dealer 60 miles away from where I picked it up. I love the car ever since and much better after it broke in. I turned into a Mazda fan and don't see myself buying any other brand. Every day I get up in the morning the most enjoyable thing I get to do is drive my Mazda 6 to work.

·
Registered
439 Posts
When I decide to replace it I hope the "HX" engine is available -- with a stick. I'd hate to leave Mazda over no MTX option, but I will if they try to force an ATX on me. I simply hate them.
If Mazda ditches the stick option, I believe the new Genesis G70 would like to have a word with you...

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I drove the at-the-time Genesis before buying the "6".

It didn't impress me that much and I could nearly buy TWO Mazdas for the price of one of those.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I drove the at-the-time Genesis before buying the "6".

It didn't impress me that much and I could nearly buy TWO Mazdas for the price of one of those. For that sort of money I expected much more.
Completely redesigned now, the new G70 is probably nothing like what you drive 5 years ago. The G70 with a stick starts in the low 30s, which is where the 6 is heading it seems...

·
Registered
580 Posts
I am looking to purchase a 2019 6 as well. I don’t understand why Mazda releases there cars at such odd times. I mean it’s physically 2019 now and they’re still manufacturing 2018’s??? It doesn’t make sense but whatever I have time I guess.
I bought this Mazda 6 last December of 2017 but my registration record says it's a 2018 model. Checking the internet, the 2018 model that I saw has a different grille from what I have.

·
Registered
563 Posts
When I decide to replace it I hope the "HX" engine is available -- with a stick. I'd hate to leave Mazda over no MTX option, but I will if they try to force an ATX on me. I simply hate them.
C'mon now, Ticker, at least in ur 'Burb the automatic is a decent choice - and GM generally makes decent A/T's! Having said this, I too am a proponent of MT''s... for fun, longevity, economics, etc.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
C'mon now, Ticker, at least in ur 'Burb the automatic is a decent choice - and GM generally makes decent A/T's! Having said this, I too am a proponent of MT''s... for fun, longevity, economics, etc.
Yeah, GM was so wonderful they stuck the shift cable bracket attachment on TOP of the gearbox (!!) which makes it quite a lot of fun to get to the torx-head bolts that hold it on -- and you cannot drop the pan to change the fluid and filter without removing the bracket first as the pan will NOT clear the internal transmission components with the bracket in place. Oh, and they're steel bolts into an aluminum case, so subject to dissimilar metals corrosion, and IF you strip the heads trying to get them out (blind, since you cannot see where you're working) you get to drop the entire gearbox out of the truck (after removing the driveshafts, transfer case, etc) in order to do a transmission fluid change.

That's yet ANOTHER reason to not want an ATX (and to desire to string up a GM vehicle engineer by his genitals, should I ever meet one)....

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was aware of the 6, but wasn't considering one early in my long search, though I was looking at the Accord. I had some interest in the Mazda3, though. So I went and drove it one afternoon. While I was in the dealer showroom, I walked by a '17 6 Grand Touring, which was the current model then. I got in to see what it was like. Wow! It was like the 3, but more luxurious with more features. Mazda cars are distinctive in their character in ways that I like. I told the sales guy that this car had grabbed my attention and we went for a drive. This was with the naturally aspirated engine before the turbo was available. Bye-bye 3. That was a long shot, anyway, but the GTI was on my radar and I felt like I should check out the 3 as part of that. I really needed more space, though. Suddenly, the Mazda6 was a contender.

I wanted more power, though, so I passed on some pretty great deals on '17 models to wait for the '18. I liked the idea of the added power and revisions to the car, overall. Then, once it finally appeared, I was a little disappointed by the rated MPG and the real world pricing compared to what I could have gotten one of the '17's for. The search went on, but the 6 always remained prominent on my short list. Ultimately, once the prices dropped enough, I bit.

To the OP and others who are interested who haven't owned a Mazda before, I'd recommend giving the car a good going over. I was able to get an extended drive. Without that, I wouldn't have bought it. I didn't feel like I had a good enough sense of what this car was going to be.

I like the car quite a bit. It's a pleasure to drive, has an appealing interior, and it's loaded with features depending on the trim level you look at. But it is kind of a mixed bag. It's shortcomings may not bother you at all compared to its strengths. But maybe they will. Spend some time with the car and see how it feels.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Completely redesigned now, the new G70 is probably nothing like what you drive 5 years ago. The G70 with a stick starts in the low 30s, which is where the 6 is heading it seems...
This is spot on. Saw the G70 at the auto show last month and it is very nice albeit small. Half heartedly thought about buying one but the Genesis dealer network model is in its infancy so I went with the 6 instead. Maybe down the road I'll re-examine the G70...

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am looking to purchase a 2019 6 as well. I don’t understand why Mazda releases there cars at such odd times. I mean it’s physically 2019 now and they’re still manufacturing 2018’s??? It doesn’t make sense but whatever I have time I guess.
Why wait for 19 when it will be the same as the 18 (updated) except you'll likely get a better deal on an 18 as the year closes out?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Why wait for 19 when it will be the same as the 18 (updated) except you'll likely get a better deal on an 18 as the year closes out?
You make a good point. I just wanted to see what, if anything would change for the 2019 model year. Maybe the resolution for the cameras will be improved? I will be special ordering the vehicle either way, so a close out price is somewhat irrelevant.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You make a good point. I just wanted to see what, if anything would change for the 2019 model year. Maybe the resolution for the cameras will be improved? I will be special ordering the vehicle either way, so a close out price is somewhat irrelevant.
Since the 6 has options pretty much locked in by trim level, what would the purpose be to "special order" one as opposed to locate the trim/color combo you want at a dealer? Cn you even special order a Mazda?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Since the 6 has options pretty much locked in by trim level, what would the purpose be to "special order" one as opposed to locate the trim/color combo you want at a dealer? Cn you even special order a Mazda?
Yes a special order can be done. It would be a Signature in Soul Red, with Parchment interior. I could do a locate but within 100 miles of me there is only one signature in soul red, and has the chestnut interior. I also would prefer minimal miles on it, no front plate drilled, and no dealer prep. I am very detail oriented and prefer the dealer not wash or "prep" the car. I am in no rush for a new one so I will just be patient. Thanks for the questions, keeping me on my toes. :grin2:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Speaking about a new car with minimal test-drive mileage on it... My '17 Sport 6mt had 5 km on the clock Christmastime '16 when i saw and drove it. Late Feb '17 when i saw it again it had 12 km on it.... meaning no one but me drove it, i.e. I put on those 7 km. When i went to negotiate with the sales mgr. I said "car's been on the lot since Oct. I have been the only interested individual. Either you're 'gonna sell it to me at what I 'wanna pay for it or it will languish on your lot..." He took my lowball offer...

Fact that no one else "practised" on this 6mt car was a compelling reason for me... I'm 'real fussy about that hehe.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Got it and in that context, makes sense. I generally don't like dealers messing with my cars as many times the screw things up. I too like minimal mileage and was lucky enough that mine had 9 miles on it when I bought it. Think that's about the lowest on any car I'v purchased. Saw a Soul Red with Chestnut at the auto show in December and I thought it was sharp. I'd consider it. Parchment is pretty light - basically off white - so may require extra care. (My Blue Reflex has parchment) Keep us posted on your chase of the 6.
My 2018 GTR had 3 miles on it. >:)

I didn't go for Parchment because I wear jeans a lot and I KNOW that leather was going to look like ass after a year without trying to clean it all the time. Keeping the exterior clean with Texas' bipolar weather is hard enough as it is.

I love the look of light interiors, but can't get myself to pull the trigger on them. Plus, the black interior still looks very nice. I wish you could get the chestnut color with the normal leather in the GTR, and not just Nappa in the signature trim.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
13 Participants
Brightshen
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing