Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a long time visitor of these forums, but never had a reason to create an account until now.

Ive been driving around a 2001 camry for awhile, and my dad told me that he was considering going out and purchasing a mazda6 for me (I do have a job, im paying half of the car, I have to haggle the price, I have to pay insurance and gas, I dont just get a 26,000$ car on a whim). After many discussions of other cars, it always comes back to the Mazda6. So we are set on that, and are going to test drive some in a few months. I have a few questions though...

Most cars im looking at are MSRP'd at about 24000-26000, how much should I expect to get the dealer down? I plan on going to test drive mid-Janruary, and purchasing perhaps the last few days of Janruary or so. I have heard of some people going under 20000 for cars in this price range, will I maybe be able to do this? 19500 is my optimal price for the 6s, and 22000 for the MS6 (MS6 is mostly not considered, manuals are too much work for me).

How would the Mazda6 perform as a first car and as a daily driver, with perhaps some road trips. Should I expect more maintnence than any other car, or less? Do any of the 05-06 6's have major issues that I will have to worry about? Ive read some horror stories, but overall it seems good.

And some questions on trim...
Im torn between a few models:
6s Touring
6i Grand Touring
6s hatch, Touring

The 6i was what we originally decided on, but I would much prefer a V6 (like our camry). Is there a significant difference between the 4 and 6 cylinder models as far as power? Is the 4 extremely sluggish compared to the 6? Or compared perhaps to my camry now.

Oh and just some confusion... as far as the radio, which ones have the solid black, as opposed to the silver look with knobs for the A/C and such? I have seen conflicting reports all over the place, and would want the black more than the more boring silver.

Sorry for the amount of questions, ive done a lot of research but ultimately one must test drive, and ask questions. Im asking questions first, mostly I would like respones to the prices (specifically the trims I asked for, if possble). As in, could I mark down a 25500$ car down almost 6 figures? The car we have now is my only experience haggling for car prices, and we only got it down from 26000 to 22000. I know at the end of the month salesman wll bend head over heals, and I plan on essentially pitting two nearby mazda dealerships against eachother (he quoted at 23, offer 22. he quoted 22, offer 21, etc..) in a hope to get it down.

I would really love this car to be my first car, its great looking and a fairly comfortable ride as far as I can tell, but without lacking in the power department... just what I want.

Thanks for any and all help. And again, sorry for all the questions. If anyone has MSN (or AIM) or something, I would love to discuss things there, though the forums will suffice.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
No Mazdaspeed6?...It has AWD and a sweet turbo ^_~

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Mazdaspeed6?...It has AWD and a sweet turbo ^_~
[/b]
Im paying insurance and paying gas and half of the car while working a 7/h job. I slightly cant afford that, plus really nice cars like that get keyed at school and my work by jealous 87 corolla owners.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
The best time to buy a car is right before the new year. This year's sales determines next year's allotment, so dealers are hungry to sell. Right after Christmas is when everyone is broke also. You could be the only customer the dealer sees in the dealership. Don't wait until january, buy it before the new year. You won't get as good a deal if you wait.

And as far as discounts, I would not even consider anything less than $6000 off a 6. It really depends on your region, though. I could not get more than $6300 off my speed 6 in my area (I was quoted $6500 off a regular 6 ironically). I ended up buying my car out of state for $8500 off. Even after shipping ($530) I still saved thousands.

·
Registered
978 Posts
if you think you want the v-6 because of more power, you may find that the i-4 a bit slow in a straight line. probably corners better (less weight)and of course better mpg. I think the v-6 will have an extra gear. gas mileage in the MS6 and the v-6 will be about the same. you should check with your insurance to see if there's a big difference in premiums. 06's have a black center console, 03-05 silver. if you don't get leather, get an 06 or newer for sure as the fabric is much improved. use the mazda web site to see if there are any 06's left in your area to get the best deal. if you can find a model that's acceptable and it's still on the lot late december, shoot for 7-8k off msrp (maybe a bit too much, but could be possible - worth a shot; this will include a 1k rebate for using mazda finance).

sounds like you are pretty lucky to have a parent who's willing to shell out a lot for you. hope you appreciate how fortunate you are...most people have to scrap to be able to get nice things. congrats and good luck!

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,540 Posts
How would the Mazda6 perform as a first car and as a daily driver, with perhaps some road trips. Should I expect more maintnence than any other car, or less? Do any of the 05-06 6's have major issues that I will have to worry about? Ive read some horror stories, but overall it seems good.
[/b]
No more than regular maintenance with other cars. There are no major issues to be concerned with with the '05-'06s, at least none off the top of my head.
The 6i was what we originally decided on, but I would much prefer a V6 (like our camry). Is there a significant difference between the 4 and 6 cylinder models as far as power? Is the 4 extremely sluggish compared to the 6? Or compared perhaps to my camry now.
[/b]
If you're getting an auto (ATX), you'll notice a performance drop going to the 4-cyl instead of the V6, much more than you would with a manual (MTX). The best thing to do is test-drive one yourself, both the sedan and 5-door, and see what you like. One other thing, IMO there is more road and wind noise that is generated with the 5-door, simply because of less insulation with the open trunk of the 5-door.
Oh and just some confusion... as far as the radio, which ones have the solid black, as opposed to the silver look with knobs for the A/C and such? I have seen conflicting reports all over the place, and would want the black more than the more boring silver.
[/b]
The black is on the '06-later models. Silver trim is included in '03-'05 models.
Thanks for any and all help. And again, sorry for all the questions. If anyone has MSN (or AIM) or something, I would love to discuss things there, though the forums will suffice.
[/b]
No problew with the questions, that's why we're here. Good choice on the Mazda6 BTW! :drive:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
One more thing. You have to at least give the MS6 a serious test drive before you buy a regular 6. One thing to keep in mind is that all the MS6s are built in Japan while the regular 6s are built here. The fit and finish is arguably better in the MS6.

I was in the same position as you, I was planning on buying a 6 and went and test drove one. I really liked it and was seriously considering purchasing it. Then I asked about it in forums and I was told to give the MS6 a test drive. I did this and fell in love with the MS6. It is more than just putting turbo and AWD on a 6. HIDs, climate control, sport seats, stiffer suspension and chassis, just to name a few.

One more bonus the MS6 has? Exclusivity. I see 6s all the time. I still haven't seen an MS6 in my area though.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Im paying insurance and paying gas and half of the car while working a 7/h job. I slightly cant afford that, plus really nice cars like that get keyed at school and my work by jealous 87 corolla owners.
[/b]
Your Mazda6 will attract a lot of attention because of it's nice aggressive look, and thus you stand a good chance of being keyed by them Corolla owners anyways :irate:

So becareful :)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
If you are considering only an automatic transmission then you have two choices, the 6i and 6s.

The Mazdaspeed6 is only available with a manual and it requires premium gas. All other 6's require regular.

Be sure to test drive both the 6i and 6s. If you are open to a manual transmission it does have some pros, like it would be cheaper than the auto and more power in both the 6i and 6s model. Also the Speed6 is a good deal (as far as performance) especially if you can find a remaining 2006 model.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you want more power then go gor V6. The best time to buy a car is before new year time because it is on sale. Mazdaspeed 6 has a turbo and it is AWD so a good choice as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts