Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some opinions on using synthetic oil and different tranny fluid. I'm considering changing out my oil and tranny fluid after 1000 miles (I've got 920 right now); and I've seen people mentioning Mobil 1 synthetic, and also some sort of Castrol "magnetic" oil. Anyone have any thoughts on those, and/or links to information or reviews on different synthetics?

Also, what about tranny fluid? Is there an advantage to going with something like Redline manual tranny fluid? Does it do something for you that normal tranny fluid won't? Smoother shifting, longer life, that sort of thing?

I'm really not a do-it-yourself-er, so if I buy what I need, should I be able to take the stuff to my local oil change place and have them put it all in for me? My neighbor just started working for one of the Valvoline places, and he's all into this stuff (he has a riced up Honda Civic). Maybe I'll have to call the place to find out if they can do that.

Oh, by the way... 6s manual. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Reading Topic: Looking for opinions on synthetic oil and tranny fluid

I really like Amsoil and Red line over Mobil 1 or especially Castrol.

V

·
0 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Looking for opinions on synthetic oil and tranny fluid'

Go synthetic - no question about it. I am a chemical engineer for a oil filtration company and I deal with this on a daily basis. The advantages are almost endless for synthetics over conventional oils. Synthetics are a purer product because their content is controlled during production. Synthetics hold their viscosity ratings longer than conventional oils. Synthetics are cleaner out of the bottle - you'd be amazed at how dirty new oil actually is. My 6s just went over 4500 miles and when I got my first oil change I immediately switched to mobil 1 0W-30 (by the way Mobil is going to be releasing 0W-20 syn soon which i will use on the next oil change). I live in the northeast but I can see using 0W anywhere.

If you have as much fun with your 6 as I do, and drive it like I do you should be using synthetic. If your using your 6 just as a car to get from here to there then 1) use regular oil - its cheaper and 2) why the hell are you driving a 6?

-----------
'03 Mazda 6s
Connecicut, USA

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Didn't get a chance to reply sooner, since the forums were down again for a while. Yesterday on my way home, I rolled over 1000 miles, so I decided I'd go for the change at that point. I've been going to Valvoline for regular oil changes for years, so I went there and got their synthetic 10W30. Hope I did the right thing! I wanted to try Mobil 1, but since I'm not a do-it-yourself-er, I didn't think they'd put Mobil 1 in if I brought it to them. But I just learned this morning that there's a local place that sells Redline products, so I'm going to get some Redline manny tranny fluid and ask them where they'd suggest I have it put in.

My oil cap lid said 5W20; am I going to blow my engine out by using 10W30 synthetic? I know it's a little thicker than 5W20, but I'll admit I don't know a whole lot about oil viscosity ratings and whatnot. The Valvoline place said 10W30 synth would be fine....

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

if you go to synthetic, you have to go up to 5W-30, thats fine, thats what I have in the car

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replying to Topic 'Looking for opinions on synthetic oil and tranny fluid'

Originally posted by Brillo

if you go to synthetic, you have to go up to 10W-30, thats fine, thats what I have in the car[/b]
Ok... vito was mentioning 0Wxx, that's why I was concerned about using 10Wxx. Sounds like I'm fine, though. Thanks for allowing my heartbeat to return to normal! :)

·
Registered
895 Posts

I heard you should wait significantly into your break-in period before using synthetic oil. Something about it being *too* good at what it does, and not letting your rings break in the proper way. This is very secondhand though, not sure as to its merits.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

Mazda recommends 5W20 convential oil for the 6 for most climates. Depending on where you live, like out in the desert, then 10W30 synthetic yes. I use 5W30 Mobil1 in mine, as well as a dozen or so other people here, and not a single problem.

But Arcanlaw is correct about no synthetic during the break-in period, but breaking in an engine is a misunderstood concept. Most people thinks it means, to take it easy on the engine for the first couple hundred miles, this couldn't be farther from the truth. During those critical first 100 miles, is the best time to race the motor to it's limits, because this will allow the rings to seat fully and properly, because if you take it easy on them, they will seat in a fashion that will hurt the engine whenever you race it hard, but if it's raced hard from the get-go, no problems. Here is a link on how to properly break-in engines:

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

·
Registered
231 Posts

re: trans fluid - is there a better one for automatic transmissions? a redline product, perhaps?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

I use the redline manual tranny fluid. Highly recommended

1 - 10 of 10 Posts