Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... I've visited somewhere in the area of 30 online stores now, not including all the ebay stores, and I can't seem to find something that really grabs my attention in a OMFG I NEED THAT sort of way.... not for under $500 / wheel, anyway...

I don't like wheels that are too 'busy' - typically i've found the 5-8 spoke rims the most attractive. I'm not a huge fan of chrome - my speed6 is Black, so i'm really drawn toward black-finished wheels with a chrome or polished lip, but i'm concerned it might look goofy if the wheel black doesn't match the car's black, so have also considered gunmetal or hyperblack... anyone have experience or pix on this one?

I'd also like to put more rubber under the car, but what i've read here causes me to be pretty concerned about the tight offset tolerance. I've read all sorts of "I did this and it worked" and "I rolled or cut the lip" and it worked, but I haven't been able to find an instance of someone mounting 18x8" or 9" wides, having installed / performed no other suspension or body mods.
I intend to keep the suspension stock for a while - not lowered just yet - so i'm not overly concerned with fender rubbing.

I've seen some rims i'd consider buying, but the offset was off... say 42 or 38, instead of the stock 48. If I did get 8" or 9" wide rims, would a lower offset be acceptable?

...bringing me to a question... Am I correct in my perception that the lower the offset, the farther out from the vehicle / wheel well the rim is? Or am I bass-ackwards on that?

If the offset is not correct, and the wheel/tire rubs on the inside suspension component, is it safe to correct this offset with a spacer? If so, how thick can spacers safely be? how far can you space out ? lol

Any info, suggestions, advice is welcome!

and for a LOL, I came across this sporty little sale...

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
The stock wheels are 18x7 with I think +55 offset. The higher the offset, the farther towards the outside of the rim the mounting surface is. My particular setup with 17X8" rim and +45 offset just barely fits in the back without rubbing and it is probably my specific tire brand and size that allows me to get away with it.

If you want to go to larger tires and/or rim width you are pretty limited with what you can do without rolling or cutting off the lip. I would suggest that you make a sandwitch and read through the "Member's Wheels" pinned topic in the Wheels/Tires section. If it is 17"+ and can fit on a Mazda6i/s it will most likely fit on your speed.

If you can find wheels with high enough offset (+65?) that you need spacers I would be extremely suprised.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don't like wheels that are too 'busy' - typically i've found the 5-8 spoke rims the most attractive. I'm not a huge fan of chrome - my speed6 is Black, so i'm really drawn toward black-finished wheels with a chrome or polished lip, but i'm concerned it might look goofy if the wheel black doesn't match the car's black, so have also considered gunmetal or hyperblack... anyone have experience or pix on this one?

I'd also like to put more rubber under the car, but what i've read here causes me to be pretty concerned about the tight offset tolerance. I've read all sorts of "I did this and it worked" and "I rolled or cut the lip" and it worked, but I haven't been able to find an instance of someone mounting 18x8" or 9" wides, having installed / performed no other suspension or body mods.
I intend to keep the suspension stock for a while - not lowered just yet - so i'm not overly concerned with fender rubbing.

I've seen some rims i'd consider buying, but the offset was off... say 42 or 38, instead of the stock 48. If I did get 8" or 9" wide rims, would a lower offset be acceptable?

...bringing me to a question... Am I correct in my perception that the lower the offset, the farther out from the vehicle / wheel well the rim is? Or am I bass-ackwards on that?

If the offset is not correct, and the wheel/tire rubs on the inside suspension component, is it safe to correct this offset with a spacer? If so, how thick can spacers safely be? how far can you space out ? lol

Any info, suggestions, advice is welcome!
[/b]
First off, you are correct that lower offset, the farther from the vehicle the center of the tire is. Try this website to look at various tire sizes and wheel offsets compared to stock. Your stock tire size is 215/45 18 and the wheels are 18X7 with a 55mm offset.

http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp

I just ordered ASA AR1's in silver, but they come in black. They are 18X7.5 and have a 52mm offset. Good luck.

:drive:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts