Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have not posted since I've joined. I'm looking to swap a MS3 engine into my 05' 6s Wagon Manual transmission. I have not been able to find any information on how much I will need to carry over to the wagon from the MS3. I've seen discussions about all kind of swaps but not this one. I don't need to hear how it's not cost effective or any of that negative information. My friends and I have found a guy that is doing a full MS6 swap into a wagon but I'm not down for tearing the whole belly pan and such over to get to that. Would be happy with the MS3 fwd setup. I would greatly appreciate some information pertaining to this or a link to someone or somewhere I could get said info. Thanks and I look forward to posting the full build for future or current members that might be interested.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hi, I have not posted since I've joined. I'm looking to swap a MS3 engine into my 05' 6s Wagon Manual transmission. I have not been able to find any information on how much I will need to carry over to the wagon from the MS3. I've seen discussions about all kind of swaps but not this one. I don't need to hear how it's not cost effective or any of that negative information. My friends and I have found a guy that is doing a full MS6 swap into a wagon but I'm not down for tearing the whole belly pan and such over to get to that. Would be happy with the MS3 fwd setup. I would greatly appreciate some information pertaining to this or a link to someone or somewhere I could get said info. Thanks and I look forward to posting the full build for future or current members that might be interested.
Welcome!! I don't think that you are going to get much info on this because I would think that you are in uncharted territory.

However, I plan on doing a swap in the future and have many notes from hours of my own research. I'm not sure why they would need to rip the belly apart. They have a tunnel already down the belly even on my 03. The thing that's in the way for the early 1st gens (03-05) is the front subframe and the gas tank. One would need the 06 and up subframe, rack, swaybar and a different gas tank for routing the exhaust and driveshaft.

Anyway for what you are asking for, Do you know if there is a stand alone for the MS3 engine? If so then it should be fairly easy to get the engine running in the car. If not then it will be a lot more in depth and the best way to do that would be with a donor vehicle. You can get a totaled MS3 that "HAS KEYS and IS LOT DRIVABLE" on salvage auctions. This gives you the best bang for you buck. You may need more from the car than you think so it's best to have it all lol.

The cars that I'm watching for my donor are going for $200-$1500 which is cheap considering what all one gets by getting a donor vehicle VS piecing everything together. I'm looking at my swap cost to only be somewhere between $2000 - $5000 and still be well worth the effort.

One concern that you might want to find out is if the Security in the MS3 can be deleted and what the bare minimum that it needs to run if a stand alone is not available. MS3 forums should be able to help more on that though (unless someone here already knows and chimes in). For me, the security can be deleted from the donor ECU that I'm after but I would still need the brake and gas pedals, the shifter (I'm staying auto), various harnesses between the engine and gas tank, return line, etc. If the security cannot be deleted then an entire rewire may be needed to accomplish the end goal. I had to do this to a 88 Camaro that I built with my dad almost 20 years ago. I kept the 88 lighting and switches but spliced in the new wiring to them.

As for having it FWD using your trans, you can look into quicktime bellhousings or the like (I can't remember the others off hand but can get back with you on them). They make either adapter plates or bellhousings for various engines and transmissions. If they don't have one listed, they should still be able to help you out.

Now I'm not sure but does the MS3 have electronic steering? If it is then you may need to come up with a power steering solution. If this is the case then look into an electronic power steering pump conversion. The engine that I'm after does not have power steering or even a place on the block for one. I will be going with a Volvo power steering pump. As for lines, most Napas can make custom lines as long as they have a length and the 2 types of ends that are needed.

I hope this helps with somewhat of a starting point and if there is anything else I can help you with just let me know. Good luck and would love to see a project like this posted to the community.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you DJ Raydiate! My friend has a Speed6 and we did a side by side comparison. The tunnel unfortunately is no where near as substantial on the regular 6 vs. the Speed. There is a guy on Facebook right now doing my dream swap lol. A speed6 drivetrain installed on a wagon, great pictures of the build as it is happening as well. Just too much work for right now and I do love my wagon and would be very unsure about its reliability with such modifications. Nor do I know anyone as of yet that is gifted enough to basically re-build a whole car that would be up to par with oem crash specifications and etc. Anyway I will be doing some hunting through the MS3 pages to see what kind of information I can gather for the swap. Good thought on the theft system by the way, hadn't thought about that yet. So far I know that my V6 cv axles may not work and I might need to use the front ones from the MS6 somehow or adapt the NA 2.3L 6 axles. Definitely agree that a donor car is the best way to go. Engines go for almost 2k alone, so considering how many parts I may potentially need to swap that will be what I do. If you could post the links to what you have accomplished or found I would be very grateful. I will be doing the same once I start the project. I like that it is uncharted territory, makes for something that will perhaps give others some hope with mods and some oohs and aahhs at car shows lol.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Thank you DJ Raydiate! My friend has a Speed6 and we did a side by side comparison. The tunnel unfortunately is no where near as substantial on the regular 6 vs. the Speed. There is a guy on Facebook right now doing my dream swap lol. A speed6 drivetrain installed on a wagon, great pictures of the build as it is happening as well. Just too much work for right now and I do love my wagon and would be very unsure about its reliability with such modifications. Nor do I know anyone as of yet that is gifted enough to basically re-build a whole car that would be up to par with oem crash specifications and etc. Anyway I will be doing some hunting through the MS3 pages to see what kind of information I can gather for the swap. Good thought on the theft system by the way, hadn't thought about that yet. So far I know that my V6 cv axles may not work and I might need to use the front ones from the MS6 somehow or adapt the NA 2.3L 6 axles. Definitely agree that a donor car is the best way to go. Engines go for almost 2k alone, so considering how many parts I may potentially need to swap that will be what I do. If you could post the links to what you have accomplished or found I would be very grateful. I will be doing the same once I start the project. I like that it is uncharted territory, makes for something that will perhaps give others some hope with mods and some oohs and aahhs at car shows lol.
LOL, it may not be a big of a tunnel as the speed but it should of had enough room for the shaft and exhaust. Remember, they make oval exhaust ;) . The 88 Camaro that I mentioned had a custom dual side dump exhaust on it. I took the Y pipe and made it into a H pipe then ran oval exhaust to keep it tucked where I needed it to. The drivers side had no place for an exhaust but it worked out well. Both sides exited right before the rear tires. Even if one had to change the belly, if they square up the car first before any cutting (welding jigs in place to hold the car true) it should be fine. I've seen many builds take place that use this and have no issues at all.

As for the drive shafts, most drive shaft places can make a custom axle for you. That is the least of my worries for what I have planned lol. I think my biggest hurdle will be the wiring and how in depth I want to get. Several different options and factors come into play. Fortunately there are people swapping the engine that I'm after into vehicles already (kind of) and there is some information for me to view about the subject.

As for links of what I've done swap wise, I don't have any as of yet and unfortunately the tablet that I use for 90% of my business and has ALL of my links and notes is currently down smh . Also I haven't started in on it yet and probably won't start in on it until mid 2021. This is a year of interior and clean up for me while I gather parts here and there gearing up for it. I'm trying to get my car to a certain point this year so I can go for local sponsorships. With my headlights now built, giving the interior a refresh and makeover would make the last bit for looks wise be either a wrap or paint until I get into Aero. I would kind of like to do the swap after the interior refresh and before paint.

I will definitely be keeping the community posted on my build. If I do this correctly then it could be a worthwhile swap for the both the 1st and 2nd gen V6s. This is another reason I haven't come out and asked for help or even tried to post too much about it. I want to make sure that I get it right before it's a "look what I did" thing.

I'd be interested in seeing the swap that you are talking about. I wish it was posted here but sadly we don't have anything like that going on as of yet. Swaps are very common in other communities but it seems very uncharted here. If you don't mind, could you share a link to the build? Id kind of like to see it to see if it may help in mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with you, definitely not many people messing with the first gen's unless its a speed6 unfortunately. Maybe this will liven up the group of folks that still have passion for the first gen's. The great NY's 6 is awesome but I'm not even sure if he is in it anymore. I will post the link for the guy on Facebook later today for you. I too am trying to do some visual mods to my wagon. Looking into the speed6 front clip (bumper, fenders, hood, and lights) which is apparently not a big deal to perform the swap. As well as a buddy of mine swapped in the 2007 style interior center console and parts where the power window switches are. Just subtle but noticeable changes you know lol. Still want those hard to find LED tail lights for the sedan and then I want to try and make a setup for the wagon since there is even less appearance wise available for it. So many ideas and so little time and of course money is always a factor lol. I will be keeping you in the loop as much as possible. Excuse my slow responses, due to me being a manager of a Meineke alot of my time and effort are spent on work. Making time for my 6's hopefully will get easier as time goes on. Look forward to hearing from you again and thanks for the information as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah. Is there a way for me to get a better look at your headlight setup? The pic in your profile looks awesome! Where did you find the fog lights that fit the S style front bumper?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me know if that works if not we can link up on Facebook and I can send it to you through messenger

·
Registered
611 Posts
Oh yeah. Is there a way for me to get a better look at your headlight setup? The pic in your profile looks awesome! Where did you find the fog lights that fit the S style front bumper?
Here is a video of them in action. I just got done building and getting everything installed between Thanks giving weekend and maybe a week before Christmas. I got the fog inserts off of Ebay but have since modified them to be able to take Ford Fusion fog lights that I also modified.

Here is a thread with better pics of the headlights (about midway down the page). I spent a lot of time on these to get them to look good as well as well as getting the animations to work correctly.

I'm one of very few people to have hidden halos that don't stick out like a sore thumb when they are off lol. As for tail lights, if you can solder and can do simple math then you could make your own tail lights. It's even gotten easier since I started making custom lighting so even less math involved lol. If interested I can get some links up for you about learning how to make your own custom lighting. If you would rather get lights that are already built, https://www.m6customs.com/ has some. I can't vouch for any of their work but as far as I know, they have been around for a lil while. I'll be building my own once the time is right.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Let me know if that works if not we can link up on Facebook and I can send it to you through messenger
Hey thanks!! The link worked and I'm in. I see now why he did what he did and I'ts making me rethink my project just a little lol. None the less its looking great. I invited him to drop a line over here once he's done because I'm sure others here would like to see it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THOSE LIGHTS ARE FIRE MAN!!! BEAUTIFUL! Definitely would like to learn how to do my own. I actually drew up a bunch of different ideas of how I want them to look when I first started seeing boards for LED's for sale. Just figuring out the details on how to attach everything and in what orders to make what I want work. Any links you can post would be greatly appreciated. Awesome I'm glad that the link worked, pretty crazy build huh lol, great inspiration. I will definitely closely go through what you have done so I can learn how it's done properly. Thank you very much, I wish I could find more Mazda folks here that were not just into the speeds. I do like the speed6 and 3 but my wagon gets so much love when I'm out driving it (before cylinder #2 started throwing oil on spark plugs that is:cry:) that I want to make it look more personalized so maybe I can get a bit more love from the speed guy's lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts