Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where a good DIY for inner tie rods can be found? Specifically, I'd like to see more information about the lock washer that keeps the inner end from backing off the steering rack. It looks like it may be difficult to stake the washer to the steering rack with with the steering rack still in the car. Anyone with some experience to share before I start?

I've searched and googled, but come up dry. So any advice would be apprciated. TIA.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Just use a screw driver to pry the lock washer back. Rent the tie rod tool from whatever local auto parts stores you have near you. It's a pretty easy install as longs as your outer tie rods come off okay.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
xkreedx, thanks for the response.

I understand about prying the existing washer tabs back to expose things and allow the tie rod tool to fit to loosen it. My question is more about how to get the new tie rod screwed on without damaging the lockwasher. Can you just slide the lock washer down the end of the steering rack, screw the tie rod on with the tool, and then slide the lock washer up and onto the tie rod end? If you can, that's great, but what about staking the lock washer once it's in place. Is there any room to position and hit a punch with a hammer to stake the washer to the end of the steering rack? And exactly how does that work? Is the steering rack end grooved in a couple of places to stake the washer? I plan on using some red (medium) locktite to help keep the tie rod end from backing off the rack, but I figure that I should also stake the washer to be safe.

Sorry for all the questions, but I've never done this before nor have I taken it all apart to a point to discern all the answers myself.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
No. The lock washer comes locked on a new tie rod. No need to worry about pushing it on. It should already be hooked to the tie rod pre install. My stock tie rods did not have Loctite on them when I took them off so I didn't put any one when I installed new ones so use at your own discretion. Just be sure to count the turns it takes to get the outer rods off. I'd suggest getting an alignment afterwards as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It didn't come locked onto the end of the new aftermarket inner tie rods that I bought. It's a separate piece. You can even buy them separately from Mazda (part number GJ6-32-132) for a ridiculous $14.50 a piece.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts