Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a lot i want to do to my 2006 mazda 6s (3.0L, VVT) and i want close to best as i can get. right now i have a k&n typhoon intake. ive been trying to do some research on my own before i go bumbing around asking questions. after i recieved the intake, im now interested in an exhaust. i think i found one
HTML:
http://www.kidimports.com/exhaust/catback-exhausts/injen-super-ses-exhaust-system-03-06-mazda-mazda-6-30l-v6-cat-back-system-w-dual-ss-tips-ses6070-21835.asp
--- this is the Injen Exhaust System I found. I tried to narrow it down to a couple injen systems and i think i like this most. what are your opinions? good or bad? the next serious questions is what headers? im just starting to learn the kinds and brands of headers. I heard MSDS headers are good but what manufactuerer and so on?

·
Registered
89 Posts
There's a lot i want to do to my 2006 mazda 6s (3.0L, VVT) and i want close to best as i can get. right now i have a k&n typhoon intake. ive been trying to do some research on my own before i go bumbing around asking questions. after i recieved the intake, im now interested in an exhaust. i think i found one
HTML:
http://www.kidimports.com/exhaust/catback-exhausts/injen-super-ses-exhaust-system-03-06-mazda-mazda-6-30l-v6-cat-back-system-w-dual-ss-tips-ses6070-21835.asp
--- this is the Injen Exhaust System I found. I tried to narrow it down to a couple injen systems and i think i like this most. what are your opinions? good or bad? the next serious questions is what headers? im just starting to learn the kinds and brands of headers. I heard MSDS headers are good but what manufactuerer and so on?
I had the Injen SES exhaust on my 05 6S, sounded better than any exhaust ive ever heard, but really thats going to be different person to person. Its probably not going to give you the most HP increase but looks and sounds F***ing awesome.

·
Registered
585 Posts
"I heard MSDS headers are good but what manufactuerer and so on? "

MSDS (Martin Schneider Design Systems) is the manufacturer. Excellent quality and service. Figure out what you want to do regarding emissions and O2 sensors and then give Marty a call. He'll help get you set-up correctly or refer you to someone who can. Remember good headers are not cheap or easy to install, but the results are fantastic.

Also, right now he has a deal going on ceramic coating!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Know why it was discontinued?
Do we have a definite reason?

I just assumed that lack of sales did it in because you can buy a Magnaflow for considerably less or a Racing Beat or OBX axle back for less than half the price. Injen couldn't make the price point and since there aren't any real gains from the cat back they just discontinued it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

MSDS (Martin Schneider Design Systems) is the manufacturer. Excellent quality and service. Figure out what you want to do regarding emissions and O2 sensors and then give Marty a call. He'll help get you set-up correctly or refer you to someone who can. Remember good headers are not cheap or easy to install, but the results are fantastic.

Thanks for the info. i have some 02 sensors lined up already. im ordering the exhaust this week and am looking for the headers soon after. id like to get the feel of the exhaust and intake before i do a lot at once. im yet to hear of a manufacturer more reliable than Injen so i think ill go with Injen. But, is it really worth the money? i feel like its $700 because its rare and discontinued. unless it was about that price while it was circulating, i think i want to get it anyways :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks for the info. i have some 02 sensors lined up already. im ordering the exhaust this week and am looking for the headers soon after. id like to get the feel of the exhaust and intake before i do a lot at once. im yet to hear of a manufacturer more reliable than Injen so i think ill go with Injen. But, is it really worth the money? i feel like its $700 because its rare and discontinued. unless it was about that price while it was circulating, i think i want to get it anyways :)

$700 is about $200 less then they were a few years ago.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
thanks. so what do most ppl recommend more? get the exhaust first then the headers? thats what i was told. i heard its easier to install the headers if the exhaust is on first but im sure it wouldnt matter much to a professional mechanic

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

who is Marty? someone who works at MSDS?

·
Registered
585 Posts
who is Marty? someone who works at MSDS?
"Marty" IS Martin Schneider, the owner and designer.

Is your car automatic or manual transmission. If your manual, the next thing is a light weight flywheel. I hope you don't expect anything other than a sound change with a new cat-back exhaust. Until you remove the flow restriction of the catylitic converters and let the engine breath, you won't see any performance gain. I run MSDS headers, Exedy light-weight flywheel, stock/modified intake and air filter and stock cat-back exhaust..... I'm telling you this is what the car should have been like from the factory. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks bud. it is automatic. down the road i want to swap the transmission to manual and i know it will be very pricy but i have it planned. once you remove the flow restriction isnt it street illegal? i also heard if u use the MSDS headers, it is also street illegal, is that true? im jealous of that flywheel though, i bet that is real nice. im going to do suspension and minor transmission upgrades after this winter season i believe. how difficult is it to remove the flow restriction?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Where are you located? Do you have inspections. My aftermarket system with single large cat performs better than stock and would probably pass testing, but I'll never know because we don't have testing in Michigan.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Im in Slippery Rock Pennsylvania. My brother does emissions/inspections for me so im sure he would know. ive decided Injen SES, id like to learn about removing the flow restriction though. id like to try it out for a year at least. i may go through with the order tomorrow, we will see. after that, its going to be MSDS. I'll either get them around late August or wait until the next summer season. do you happen to have an aftermarket intake?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts