Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm moving the Bel Air, MD area end of June/July timeframe and I will need to get my 2 cars and truck inspected so I can register them in Maryland. Are there any recommended mechanics that won't try to take me for a ride? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump! anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you got me!!! what do you need done?
Hey Charles, I know I could count on you do mods, but I need a licensed or registered mechanic to inspect my three cars so they could be registered in MD. I have heard some stories that some mechanics have charged an average of $300-$400 to do simple things like change bulbs, brakes, belts for cars before they are register in MD. I just need an honest mechanic so I don't have to pay through the nose.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
hey man im moving to MD too!!!

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still looking for that special mechanic for inspection. Moving soon. Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't have any mechanics I recommend (just Charles for mods... but you guys know about him already!).

However, I do have some advice for getting inspections in Maryland. First of all, Md inspections are usually brutal and lead to rip-offs. You only get inspected one time in MD, and they go through EVERYTHING on your car. Its a great way to try and fleece you for repairs. They will hand you a slip of what all made you fail, and usually an estimate of what it would take for them to repair it.

Where ever you take it, if you don't pass and they hand you a bunch of BS things wrong on the slip, there are two things you can do. First, you can take it for a second opinion at another mechanic, and see if they find the same stuff. I actually showed another mechanic my first inspection sheet and he checked those same things out. He found one of the major hits to be bogus (worn ball joints). Just make sure you tell that second mechanic to just look at those problems, NOT to inspect the car again (that would cost you another inspection fee, which is unnecessary).

You can then get the repairs done where ever you want. However, if you really feel you are getting ripped by an inspector, the second thing you can do is you can request that they call MVA (that's the Maryland DMV) and have the State Trooper come out and verify the issue. None of the inspectors tell you this, but you can do this. I called the MVA myself and requested the trooper assigned to the closest MVA office come out. He then will check out the mechanic's inspection. If its bogus, he can literally pull their inspection license on the spot. Needless to say, the shop crossed the ball joints off of my list, and did the other minor stuff and I was out of there.

Not sure if any of this will help, but just thought I would share in case it does.

Welcome to MD! :D

Reactions: Poohster

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dang!! I knew it but was hoping to find some mechanic that would be somewhat honest. I read and heard from some fellow co-workers that would fleece people. I don't mind paying what needs to be repaired but not bogus stuff. Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dang!! I knew it but was hoping to find some mechanic that would be somewhat honest. I read and heard from some fellow co-workers that would fleece people. I don't mind paying what needs to be repaired but not bogus stuff. Thanks.
I would recommend, for the inspection, go to the bigger well-known shops (like Merchant's, or another big name). Places like that will be more legit and likely wouldn't risk losing their inspection permit. Don't make the mistake I did and pull into some shady gas station shop just cause they have an inspection license (Inspection capable places have the sign out front showing their permit number).

Like I said, once you are past that inspection nonsense, we have Charles down here. There's your honest mechanic from then on.

Reactions: Poohster

·
Registered
22 Posts
I live in MD, hey charles do you got the hookup with mods in town?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts