Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

Just wondering what you think about getting a diesel 140cv Madza 6 stationwagon with such a high milage.
I had the 1st generation Mazda 6 sedan (2005). Experience was good (except for the DPF that gave me nightmares).

Price of this 2008 one is good. 4,200 euros.
But is it really worth getting a high milage car like that? not sure about reliability of the engine, etc.

Thank you in advanced,
Mazda 6 rocks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, sure.
But other than that, any members here that can speak of specific reliability issues of this model after reaching 200k km?
Cheers

·
Super Moderator
17,387 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, there aren't too many of us here with the diesel since that generation never made it to North America with that engine, but I haven't seen anything outlandish in my years on here that would be super cause for concern. Hopefully someone with more diesel experience can confirm :)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Im gonna go out on a limb here and say that 120k miles isnt much, especially on a diesel. I dont know if they have a timing chain or not, it would be worth it to have that and the chain tensioner/guides checked out. If its an automatic, check the fluid color/smell. If its a manual, check the clutch etc. See if you can get a PPI (pre purchase inspection) to calm your mind.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Im gonna go out on a limb here and say that 120k miles isnt much, especially on a diesel. I dont know if they have a timing chain or not, it would be worth it to have that and the chain tensioner/guides checked out. If its an automatic, check the fluid color/smell. If its a manual, check the clutch etc. See if you can get a PPI (pre purchase inspection) to calm your mind.
Our local dealer says that my diesel engine has a timing belt. I just don't know about the earlier models.

For large engines, we check the injectors by taking it out. We put it in a calibration device and see the spray pattern together with the opening pressure. I just don't know how to do it on cars. If it's easy to check this, perhaps doing a calibration on the injectors should be added to the list for your peace of mind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all!
Ohh I see, so many of you guys are from the States. OK, yeah usually a different market overall in terms of engines and model versions.

Yep,..before buying I should take it to the workshop to have it checked as long as the seller agrees.
Clutch, injectors, DPF,...

I love the current Mazda 6, but I can't afford it.
Would have to wait a couple more years for the price of used 2014-2015 examples to go down! :)

Have a good week!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Biggest fault with these diesels is poor service history. Yes they have a timing belt. DPF replacement is expensive, a pre purchase inspection is a must, along with a diagnostic inspection of the computer system.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Biggest fault with these diesels is poor service history. Yes they have a timing belt. DPF replacement is expensive, a pre purchase inspection is a must, along with a diagnostic inspection of the computer system.
It's nice to see old members posting again.

If I may ask, do you have any idea what will happen if you just remove the DPF? Is that even possible? I know it's possible but what I meant to say is that can you still use the car normally without a fault code?

Are all diesels equipped with DPF nowadays? I haven't checked the 2019 Santa Fe and I don't know if our old Hyundai Tucson has one. If these vehicles can operate without DPF...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts