Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
That's a lot of speakers! I'm very happy with the Bose sound system in my car.

·
Registered
313 Posts
9" speakers in the front doors? That's different
Sure is... They are woofers, according to this picture's legend.
The rear door speakers (5) are full-range.
(7) is an "8-channel digital amplifier"
(2), (3) and (6) are mid-high units, with the bottom note about (6) that in station wagon it is in a wall of the luggage compartment instead of the top shelf.
At least that's what it says there, because the picture looks like something opposite: the largest speakers look full-range, the mid-sized ones like woofers... :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wow - great find! In my opinion, although it looks impressive, I really don't like the 'premium' sound of this Bose setup. It's just ok... and I'm not even that much of an audiophile. My 09 Chevy Traverse had much better sound... I just want good, rich sound that envelopes me... I'll probably upgrade later on, once I know what options I have, since I want to keep the center panel, and don't want to add any visible stuff in the car (amps, subs, etc.), unless well hidden...

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts
From what I read audiophiles do NOT like Bose. They say it's all name and no game.

Anyone with the 2014 GT model with the Bose system can respond?
While for the most part that's true - this system far surpasses the old Bose systems in the Mazda 6.

Bose are simply normal speakers tuned again and again and again. Since selling out to China they've degraded in quality but are still Bose.

Can you find much better speakers for the car? Most likely - Is the stock sound quality poor? Not at all.

·
Registered
112 Posts
While for the most part that's true - this system far surpasses the old Bose systems in the Mazda 6.

Bose are simply normal speakers tuned again and again and again. Since selling out to China they've degraded in quality but are still Bose.

Can you find much better speakers for the car? Most likely - Is the stock sound quality poor? Not at all.
Are the Bose speakers paper cones?

Sadly the selling out is true. Bose bids their systems out to car manufacturers and comes in so low that they manufacturers are now putting them in a lot of cars. The C6 and sadly the C7 Corvette uses Bose. My C6 Corvette has a Bose and man, it's a sub-standard system for sure. The Corvette forums call it "Blows" not "Bose".

With that being said, it's probably better than most systems and it depends on how Mazda setup the system in the car. Mazda use to offer JBL on some models and I remember reading that was better than Bose.

The pricing on the Touring vs. Grand Touring has some other upgrades (including the Bose systems) but it surely isn't worth paying another $1k for the Bose system.

If you mentioned Bose in the audiophile forums they will ban you.:lol:

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts
I dont mind the bose in my 07 as far as mids & highs. The thing they installed which they call a woofer is a complete joke though.

At one point bose was a pinnacle in sound quality.

Nowadays,

Buy
Other
Stereo
Equipment

Im sure they are an improvement over base model stereos but dont deserve to be titled as a premium package.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Agree with what smoke said, Bose used to be top years ago but have now been surpassed by far!
I'm not an audiophile but I love my music and Bose just doesn't do it for me.
Infinity runs a nice stock system for Highs and mids my dad has that in his 05 Daytona and its bare able
But nothing beats aftermarket equipment although jl audio is great stuff never heard it from a factory tho.

Mb quart makes very high quality speakers if your looking to upgrade ;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm not sure I know just how much more I'd enjoy 11 vs. 6. I stopped mucking around with stereo's years ago, as I've found, in general, factory stereos from Japanese cars are pretty good. Or, at least good enough to give me no significant incentive to shop out and build.

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts
I'm not sure I know just how much more I'd enjoy 11 vs. 6. I stopped mucking around with stereo's years ago, as I've found, in general, factory stereos from Japanese cars are pretty good. Or, at least good enough to give me no significant incentive to shop out and build.
While I agree with you, unless you experienced the terror of the sound from the old Factory Bose on our cars then you wouldn't quite understand why people were skeptical at first about getting yet another Mazda with Bose - I'm very happy with the sound quality and haven't found anyone who isn't when they listen.

·
Registered
31 Posts
While I agree with you, unless you experienced the terror of the sound from the old Factory Bose on our cars then you wouldn't quite understand why people were skeptical at first about getting yet another Mazda with Bose - I'm very happy with the sound quality and haven't found anyone who isn't when they listen.
Ah...

Oddly enough (one might cringe when they hear this), I actually test drove a 2010 Mazda 6 with the idea it might be a good used value vs. the new 6... It wasn't bad, BUT, sitting in driver's seat of both, the decision was clear to me... Perhaps I should have turned on the stereo too (assuming that generation had the bad-Bose)...

·
Registered
683 Posts

I'm fine with the bose speakers, but I had to replace the sub :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anyone find a print out of a pin out from the BOSE amp so we can tap into it for adding a new sub amp or other goodies?
There is a thread on page 2 of this section called "2014 Mazda6 wiring diagrams". To make it even easier I will post the link again here 2014 Mazda6 - 0920-5d Car-Navigation System (Bose Type Audio)

The 8 wires going from the audio unit to the amplifier are the same pin-out but different colors then the speaker wire outputs on the non-bose diagram that can be found by pressing the prev button a few times. On the bose system the wires are line level and on the none bose system they are speaker level. Printing the diagrams gives the option of printing the pin-outs and the harness routing as well.
Hope this works for you. It did for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts