Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I'm posting here in the newbie section because I feel like an idiot.

I got a flat tire on friday, and switched on the donut. Couldn't get the tire fixed until after 5 on saturday, but in this time period I seem to have lost the frigging key for my locking lug nuts. I got the donut on, but i can't get it back off and get my wheel on.

I've been driving around on the donut all weekend, and I know you aren't supposed to leave them on for long. Mazda says the keys are special order because they're custom to the car.

Does anybody know of another way to get the dam wheel off? Other than paying a body shop to cut off the lugnut, which I don't have the dough for.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You can probably buy a special tool to remove stripped nut from your local hardware store. It is probably the same tool as what they use in the shop. I'm not sure how much the tool is. I would guess the tool would cost you about the same as to pay the shop to do it for you.
The other thing is that you probably have the lock nuts on your other three wheels. So you will have to either destroy all three of them to remove the wheels in the future or you have to order a key and a new lock nut, destroy one lock nut for now so that you can replace the spare with the full size wheel.
I don't think if there is a way to remove lock nut without destroying it in the process.
I would suggest to find your key, duh. You probably did already but usually when I think that I lose something it is because I hide it really good.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
take it to the dealer and have them take it off. I had a problem where my key broke in two pieces, and they took off my locking lugs, they should have a master key at the dealer. explain the situation and they should be able to take them off for you at least

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
If you want to take it off yourself you're going to have to replace the locking nuts. You make a small cut somewhere along the outside edge of the lock and then take a chisel and a hammer and slowly knock it loose. Just be careful you don't slip and chisel the wheel!

·
Registered
286 Posts
take it to the dealer and have them take it off. I had a problem where my key broke in two pieces, and they took off my locking lugs, they should have a master key at the dealer. explain the situation and they should be able to take them off for you at least
[/b]
Master key? So anyone who has a master key can just unlock any lock nut from the same manufacturer? Now you are making me very uncomfortable.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Master key? So anyone who has a master key can just unlock any lock nut from the same manufacturer? Now you are making me very uncomfortable. [/b]
I have a brand new set that I had the dealer take off before I even took delivery of the car. (I wanted to trade them for all-weather floormats but they ended up just throwing in the mats) The locks are made by McGard, a company that's been around a long time in wheel locks. You should have a card or something with the number on it for the key. I dont know if that will help get a key quickly but at least you can get one eventually. As far as I know there is no "master key" for the locks.
The chisel it off advice is probably the best for now and just replace it with a stock lug nut. Since you still have the donut spare on you don't have to be quite as nervous about slipping with the chisel and chipping your good aluminum wheel. with the steel wheel you might even have enough working room to clamp a pair of vice grips on the locking lug and turn it off, its worth a try.

Unless you park in bad or unsecure locations I'd take the damn things off and be rid of them.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
1) when I purchased my locking lugs there was no number or code that went along with it, so there is no way to know what key works, whether there is 5 possibilities or 20. you would have to order it from the dealer without knowing if it would work, even if the dealer would let you order it without knowing all the information.

I had wheel locks before the mazda ones that actually came with a @ so I could reorder new key if needed, it was even on the key so if I broke it off, I didnt' need to search for the number.

2) I figured the master key line from my dealer was bs. the wheel lock supplier may have 5 key patterns that go with the mazda branded wheel locks, and just supplied dealers with the keys for the locks.

someone had to setup a contingency plan, if they offer wheel locks, someone will lose the key. they aren't doing the easy thing of supplying the end user with an id number to replace the key,

I just had mine taken off and I'm not going to go back to wheel locks. the key supplied with mine came apart after only a year of ownership. granted most people arent' going to use an impact wrench on them, but it was just bad design.

Just remember, if someone really wanted your wheels, the wheel locks aren't going to stop them.

·
Registered
436 Posts
When I lost my McGard key, I emailed their customer service folks. They asked me to take a picture of the lock nut and email it to them. I did, paid them $20 for the new key and they shipped it out to me the next day.

I can't remember if I had to do anything special to prove that I was the rightful owner of said wheels or not.

·
Registered
64 Posts
There are definitely masterkeys for our lock nuts. Mine came with a bag, a card with a number on it, and 2 keys. If you look on ebay, sometimes you can find masterkeys for sale, but it helps to have the number.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are definitely masterkeys for our lock nuts. Mine came with a bag, a card with a number on it, and 2 keys. If you look on ebay, sometimes you can find masterkeys for sale, but it helps to have the number.
[/b]
Thanks for all the suggestions. My problem really was that I wanted to get the donut off now. I did take it to mazda, they had a master key but couldn't figure out what to charge me for the process. I told them I needed a tire rotation anyway, so give me a tire rotation, start with 5 tires, and end with 4. While they were at it, I told them to take off the locking lugs and replace them with regular lugs. This would have cost me $5 a piece, but they had some spares around the shop, so I just got charged $8 for "shop parts".

Basically, after doing some research I found that Wheel Locks can be removed without the key if you don't mind destroying them in the process. Since the average criminal attempting to steal my wheels would not mind if they damaged the lugs in the process, this means that the only person these things slow down is me. So I will happily do without. They were free with the carl when I bought it in 03, so I'm glad I didn't pay extra for these.

They did offer to order me a new key by examining my locks, but I didn't feel the need.

·
Registered
275 Posts
this thread kind of makes me feel uneasy because now that i know anyone can break wheel locks in a few minutes and even seconds i feel like my wheels are in danger. A few months ago someone stole all my brother's wheels when it was parked on our driveway. Cost us $1000 to replace all 4 wheels with the orginal alloy wheels :(. It was over $1000 but insurance took care of the rest. After that we became aware of wheel locks (because the tow truck dude told us about them) so i thought as long as we have wheel locks my wheels were safe....

·
Registered
605 Posts
this thread kind of makes me feel uneasy because now that i know anyone can break wheel locks in a few minutes and even seconds i feel like my wheels are in danger. A few months ago someone stole all my brother's wheels when it was parked on our driveway. Cost us $1000 to replace all 4 wheels with the orginal alloy wheels :(. It was over $1000 but insurance took care of the rest. After that we became aware of wheel locks (because the tow truck dude told us about them) so i thought as long as we have wheel locks my wheels were safe....
[/b]
I'm kinda glad i don't have the wheel locks on mine. Plus who would want to take a steel wheel with a plastic cover. anyway.

·
Registered
436 Posts
A guy I know customizes his wheel locks by welding in a little piece in each nut. Then he takes that part away from the key. This means that no other key will fit his lock nuts.

·
Registered
781 Posts
And where might this key bee?- in case I need to use it one day

·
Registered
940 Posts
A guy I know customizes his wheel locks by welding in a little piece in each nut. Then he takes that part away from the key. This means that no other key will fit his lock nuts.
[/b]
Still not going to stop an impact driver - locking lugs are just like car alarms - they make most thieves go look for an easier target, but if they want the wheels (or the car), you are not going to stop them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Basically, after doing some research I found that Wheel Locks can be removed without the key if you don't mind destroying them in the process.[/b]
How is that done? How long does it take? Does it make a lot of noise?

Surely stealing wheels without locking nuts is much easier.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hate to play the necromancer.

lugnuts, including locking lugnuts, are typically 21mm (on mine at least)

I had a flat tire and could not remove the wheel because they were lost at a shop from the previous tire installation.

I went and got a spare 20mm deep socket, tapped it on the locking lug nut with a hammer, hooked the socket up to a ratchet and presto

1 - 17 of 17 Posts