Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've just received my tires (Toyo Proxes4 - 220/40/18) today and would like to mount them as soon as I have time but I just had a couple of questions.

Since these tires have a load index of 92W and my stocks have a load index of 93V, will there be a noticable difference in the driving experience? Also, more importantly, is this safe to drive on? Because if they are not, I am going to have to return them, which I don't want to do. I totally forgot to look at that when I bought them. Had a lot on my mind that day.

Anyway, assuming that they are safe to drive on, what pressure should I inflate them to? According to the sticky, it says 38 psi but that seems kinda high compared to what I inflate them to now. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
The mazda6 requires a 91 or better, so you are fine.

MANY people on here use the proxes 4's. Great tire. I would go with 36psi cold all the way around...

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Hey all,

I've just received my tires (Toyo Proxes4 - 220/40/18) today and would like to mount them as soon as I have time but I just had a couple of questions.

Since these tires have a load index of 92W and my stocks have a load index of 93V, will there be a noticable difference in the driving experience? Also, more importantly, is this safe to drive on? Because if they are not, I am going to have to return them, which I don't want to do. I totally forgot to look at that when I bought them. Had a lot on my mind that day.

Anyway, assuming that they are safe to drive on, what pressure should I inflate them to? According to the sticky, it says 38 psi but that seems kinda high compared to what I inflate them to now. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance for your input.
[/b]
I had the exact same set up on my car and they are more than safe. 38 psi is necessary to maintain the same load as the stock tire does at 32 psi. Lower profile tires have smaller air chambers and unfortunately, it is necessary to run them at higher psi to equal the "tall" profile tires. The good thing is that the ride won't be too rough, even at 38. The Proxes4 has a very smooth ride, even for a low profile tire. But if you don't maintain that 38 psi, you will see shortened tire life and potentially feathering wear on the shoulders, which will turn them into noisy beasts!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts