Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would visit flyinmiata.com if you want a replacement intercooler for a mazdaspeed miata. They have a mazdaspeed miata pushing 300whp.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
haha the little fukin bunny.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Really though, I don't get it. If the Mazdaspeed skunkworks division determined this intercooler was sufficient for the Speed6, then why do we need a larger one? I can understand if you wanted to mod the car, but Mazda already "modded" it from a regular 6. And this intercooler should be fine for a stock Mazdaspeed6, correct?

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the point...it isn't. In this case it was a decision of marketing over engineering. Marketing didn't want a hood scoop. Engineering wanted direct airflow over the intercooler, budget said no to the FMIC. The end result is a compromise of all involved parties.

Welcome to corporate product.

You already saw how much of a different a simple intake made without any tuning whatsoever. Imagine what happens when you combine that with a free flowing exhaust, and significantly reduced charge temps. The results will be stellar, not to mention providing significantly more consistent performance.

I guarentee that if you put an MPS 6 on a dyno, put a giant massive fan blowing on the front in place, shut the hood, and then dyno 3 times in a row...you'll show a significant power loss by the 3rd run, maybe even by the second.

Just pointing out there is room for good gains here, not to mention the weight savings from swapping to a standard hood.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I definately think there is massive rooms for improvement... more than anything else i would love a consistent dyno...

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
The intercooler sucks. Not only is it too small- it has TERRIBLE airflow over it. Once the air hits it, it has no where to go. The engine block is underneath it. Even a hood scoop might not help enough because the air has no exit path.

CPE said to be on the lookout for company's producing false dyno numbers. They were able to get a variance of TWENTY WHEEL HORSEPOWER just by cooling the intercooler- it got WAY too warm during normal runs. (They're not spoofing their own numbers, mind you- they're just expecting to see other companies do it.)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bet you guys would gain alot by simply throwing a c02 sprayer on the intercooler. I know it worked wonders with my stock MSP intercooler. Dropped the intake temps almost 30*.

The standard 6 hood will not fit the Ms6.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It will if there isn't a stupid interwarmer on top of the engine :). Plenty of room up front for a FMIC as per the other turbo'd 6's.
[/b]

The fenders and front fasica are different on Speed 6. The standard hood doesn't line up correctly. A bodyshop around here already went through that trying to save some money.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Could you swap out a sports package front fasica(03-05) instead of the mps 6 front?
[/b]

From what I understand it was the fenders giving the biggest problem. I don't really know if you can or can't.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
I love how there's always some car out there *referring to pic above* that none of us ever hear about and then BAM... just appears highly modded out and already executing what ideas we've thought of.

Looked at the speed 6 yesterday and talked to my buddy (head mech / tech @ the Mazda dealership here), and there's plenty of room for an aftermarket FMIC in there.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i want to get fabbed up some exhaust ports out of the ridges on the stock hood. saw that on a modded ms6 and it looked sweet . didnt notice it at first, but after i did it looked nice. perhaps that would help with the vent in the engine compartment. yes/no?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts

I want more info about this car's setup.
[/b]
See I have stared at that picture before ATL... and here is my problem...

If you look close it appears the IC is still there :goon:

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
About this Discussion
73 Replies
27 Participants
littleeffer
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing