Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Liquid Glass is $18 per jar at AutoZone. I applied my first coat of wax ever to my '6 today, and I must say I'm quite pleased with the results. The metal is now ultra smooth and very slick. As it was curing, I could see leaves not being able to adhere to the car. That's good, because I was parked under a tree to stay in the shade.

The front and rear bumpers are still dust-magnets, though, due to static electricity. Liquid Glass is essentially a one-step process, so there's no anti-static layer to the process.

I also applied Liquid Glass to the wheels. I suspect that with them being so smooth now, brake dust will be much less of an issue. I also used for the first time Rain-X wheel protectant, which is a spray designed specifically to keep brake dust from sticking.

I'd take a picture, but I hate how my camera doesn't accurately reproduce the gorgeous color of my car. Nonetheless, I'm quite impressed. Should the weather permit, I'll try to do a second coat tomorrow before the rain comes. It goes on and comes off very quickly- I could do this in the early morning, I bet.

I was going to do Zaino instead of Toughguard, but instead did Liquid Glass instead of either. Depending on how long Liquid Glass stays on the car, I'll have no regrets. It's beautiful.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Reading Topic: Liquid Glass

I used Liquid Glass for years. Good Stuff.

But, I tried toughguard on my 6 and am very impressed (so far).

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Elaborate, please. Tell me what I'm missing, since I almost went that route.

I actually like the idea that the Liquid Glass will force me to reapply at least quarterly... that way I know I'm keeping a tab on every nook and cranny of my car.

Still, the Toughguard 5-year deal sounded like a dream.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Toughguard is great. I put it on when the car was factory new, which is a good thing to do. I haven't got ONE scratch on the paint yet, and it's been winter here...

(What I DID get is a fender-bender, but hey - not even Toughguard is THAT good... :D)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Well, I put a second coat on today and it shines exactly twice as much with two coats as opposed to one. It makes me want to put on a third :D It's raining now, and the rain is having such a hard time sticking to the car, the car almost looks dry. The beads roll right off.

Steve6er- how'd I know you were going to chime in here ;) You're an advertisement for the stuff, and the only reason I even know about it.

Also, no sticking brake dust to report yet.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Apparently Liquid Glass can be used instead of Rain-X on the windshield, too. I bet it lasts longer than Rain-X, but I can't imagine it working any better. Rain-X is incredible.

Liquid Glass has left my car so smooth, I wonder if I can polish the inside of my intake with it. This stuff is great!

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Liquid Glass'

Originally posted by stretchsje

Well, I put a second coat on today and it shines exactly twice as much with two coats as opposed to one.  It makes me want to put on a third :D  It's raining now, and the rain is having such a hard time sticking to the car, the car almost looks dry.  The beads roll right off.

Steve6er- how'd I know you were going to chime in here ;)  You're an advertisement for the stuff, and the only reason I even know about it.

Also, no sticking brake dust to report yet.[/b]
I don't know how. Maybe you've got some ESP talent you didn't know of?? :D

·
Registered
6 Posts

HAS ANYONE TRIED NU FINISH? APPARENTLY THAT NEEDS TO BE APPLIED JUST ONCE OR TWICE A YEAR AND WORKS JUST AS WELL AS LIQUID GLASS.

·
Registered
656 Posts

I put nu finish on my car and I got great results. I don't think I will last more that a few months though. Still a good product. IMO

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

From memory- Liquid Glass has something about a lifetime warranty on the side if you put two initial coats on and a refresher every 6 months afterwards. I don't know how long it *really* lasts, but my initial two coats look gorgeous after a week of rain, wind, and pollen. The surface is slick as can be.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Steve 6er

Sorry to hear about the fender bender I just got my 6 back from a rear quarter panel smashup

·
Registered
492 Posts

Isn't Nu Finish a polish? It still needs to have a layer of wax to protect the finish. It contains some abrasives to get rid of scratches and oxidations and make the surface smooth again.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by IronTiger

Steve 6er

Sorry to hear about the fender bender I just got my 6 back from a rear quarter panel smashup[/b]
Thanks. Sad to hear you had one too. Mine is fixed now, they did a great job. Looks like it never happened. :)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Originally posted by Lex2Maz

Isn't Nu Finish a polish?  It still needs to have a layer of wax to protect the finish.  It contains some abrasives to get rid of scratches and oxidations and make the surface smooth again.[/b]
Nu Finish is a polish/polymer protectent. They don't call it a wax because it doesn't contain wax. It is not the same as a Polish from Meguiar's. You do not need to wax after using Nu Finish.

I use Nu Finish on the Miata and prefer the color/shine over wax on the bright blue. Not sure about my black 6. I did a test on the trunk and hood and favored the Meguiar's Gold. But I hadn't fully preped the trunk for the Nu Finish but did the claybar/polish/wax on the hood.

If it ever stops raining long enough here on the east coast, I plan on doing a full prep test.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I've got a black 6 too. What do you do to prep your vehicle for Nu finish polish? Isn't the clay bar treatment enough?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts