Mazda 6 Forums banner

Limp Mode...new to Mazda...please help!

20K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  mitro6ual 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just bought a '04 6s with 68k miles about 6 weeks ago, my first Mazda. As I left my house this morning I had gone about 1/4 mile and my CEL, TCS OFF, and traction control light came on, my RPM's were fluttering right at 1k and I couldn't top 30mph. I then pulled over, turned the car off and back on. The CEL was still solid but I was no longer in limp mode, so I drove back home and parked it until I could try to figure this out.

I did do the airbox mod about a week after I got the car, so I don't know if that has something to do with this or not. I didn't have time to check anything before coming to work. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

#4 ·
Thanks, I'll get the code pulled tomorrow. Is there any risk to driving in limp mode if it happens again?

Also, I had my wife check to see if the CEL would come on for her this afternoon....nothing. I'm assuming autozone can see a code even though the light isn't on, correct me if I'm wrong.

#7 ·
**Paraphrased from Owner's manual:

Disconnect your battery, let the ECU reset and make sure the code is cleared, then see if the code pops up when you reconnect the battery and test drive the car.

Disconnect the connector at the throttle body and PCM. Check for any corrosion or damage, then reconnect the battery and test drive. If it's still the same then you'll probably need to replace your PCM.

#10 ·
Hey guys, I just bought a '04 6s with 68k miles about 6 weeks ago, my first Mazda. As I left my house this morning I had gone about 1/4 mile and my CEL, TCS OFF, and traction control light came on, my RPM's were fluttering right at 1k and I couldn't top 30mph. I then pulled over, turned the car off and back on. The CEL was still solid but I was no longer in limp mode, so I drove back home and parked it until I could try to figure this out.

I did do the airbox mod about a week after I got the car, so I don't know if that has something to do with this or not. I didn't have time to check anything before coming to work. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

I just had this happen to me tonight.

Sounds like your TB is on its last legs.

time to start looking into a 3.7L conversion or used 3.0L on eBay or from mazmart.com

good news is it is stupid easy to fix.
And after reading this, I am going to assume this is what my problem is since I have had a P2135 code. I will try Byakuya's advice of checking the PCM and Throttle Body connection first before buying a TB.

#11 ·
I just had this happen to me tonight.

And after reading this, I am going to assume this is what my problem is since I have had a P2135 code. I will try Byakuya's advice of checking the PCM and Throttle Body connection first before buying a TB.
Definitely check the connections first. That must have been the problem with mine, I haven't had any problems since this happened back in July.

#12 ·
Ok, I got one for ya. Purchase this 04 Mazda 6 dirt cheap. Found out, the ex girl friend put about 7 gallons of water in the fuel tank. As far as I know, no one tryed to start it. So the tank was drained, fresh fuel, now stuck in what I'm assuming is limp mode. I'm just trying to rap my head around this foolishness, but what in your opinion would cause that, and would all the basic things to do reset this machine? Need a little help here. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.