Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT, 1.4" drop, OVTuned, Injen CAI, Thrush Exhaust
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the last autocross event I attended I got more than 12 people coming up and asking me what I had done to my car, and seem down right embarrassed at the times I was able to get compared to their "much faster on paper" cars.
One of the comments I kept getting was whether I added limited slip or it came with limited slip... This got me thinking and my last car (1999 Camry) would lose all momentum when a tire broke loose and just spin that one tire. Whereas my 6 will spin both front wheels while cornering through a track (with "trac off", obviously that just changes what it does rather than turn all the way off).
Has anyone else noticed this?!
Is this just what more modern front wheel drive does, or is this unique to Mazda, or is it partially just because I'm running on Godspeed Traction-S springs? (seems doubtful)

Also, got me thinking about it as a friend has a CX-5 that he said has been keeping up with his wife's Cherokee off-road and recently shared this article with me about how Mazda does cool stuff with traction control, even when "off": Whats the diff, Mazda cx-5 unlocks secret off road mode

·
Registered
2015 Mazda6 Touring MTX
12 Posts
I'm not an expert on what Mazda does to emulate limited slip, but it's typical for automakers these days to use brakes to limit slip and force power to both (or all 4) wheels when an actual limited slip differential isn't equipped. By braking just a little on the corner breaking traction, the resistance on that corner can be brought equal to the other side forcing power into both sides equally.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
*To be clear this is all assuming "trac off"
After talking with a few car oriented friends, and thinking about recent AutoX events, I'm pretty sure it's not some fancy thing, rather more straightforward good Mazda engineering.

hypothesis: it's just that the power is well balanced to each front wheel, and some resistance to allowing too large a disparity in rotation rate between the wheels, so even in the midst of cornering the inside wheel spins more, but the outside wheel spins too. This seems to be backed up by the fact that at launch there is no torque steer despite being able to break both wheels loose.

Threw together couple clips to try to show my car spinning both wheels through a corner, the inside wheel certainly spins more but both wheels actually spin, which is very different behavior than any FWD open-diff car I've ever driven. In particular if you look at the U-turn, about 10 seconds into the video, on exit I punch the throttle while at full wheel lock and BOTH wheels break loose (again inside wheel more so, but both spun)!

...it's typical for automakers these days to use brakes to limit slip...
as Noted above, that is true if you do not turn of traction control but does not seem to be the case when it is off

@Jake Wilcox or @ABCGarage!, or anyone else, Have you noticed this too?

·
Registered
2017 Mazda Mazda6 Touring MTX
103 Posts
Mazda has something called 'G Vectoring' (I think that's what it's called) where the car somehow cuts power during accelerating in turns on the inside wheel to keep the car level.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was that video with a strut bar installed?
Yes, I have strut bar with good tension, plus Godspeed springs (with much higher than stock spring rate in the back), so those could certainly be making a big difference.
Planning to install RSB soon, but given how quickly I'm chewing through my tires I'm waiting to spend my money on a fresh set soon.

Also, mine is a 2016 so no 'G Vectoring' for me :(

·
Registered
218 Posts
An open differential doesn't work as you describe. So, either the computer is braking the inside wheel to limit slip or the car doesn't have an open diff.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, maybe I'm overthinking this and it's nothing special just that the weight balance is good enough (partially because of my suspension changes) to keep enough weight even on the inside wheel to keep enough traction... Just seemed odd to me.
Or maybe it's some sort of not actually open-diff, using something in the AT transaxle to partially act like limited slip.
I know from getting stuck in snow/ice that it behaved like an open-diff, spinning just one wheel.

In the end, I'm super happy with the behavior/performance, just curious if others had noticed this.

BTW, @bulwnkl awesome username :)

Reactions: bulwnkl

·
Registered
218 Posts
I’m not saying it’s not cool that they operate as they do. It is! I just think the TC isn’t shutting all the way off. Or maybe it’s not an open diff. I sure thought they were, though.

An open differential always sends torque to each halfshaft 50/50. If it isn’t doing that, it’s not a straight open diff. Note here that I said torque, not power. Power split can range anywhere from 100/0 to 0/100 even as torque split remains constant at 50/50.

I used to know several people in Woodinville and thereabouts. They’ve all moved now, though. Pretty area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts