Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has the lightest 6 on here without doing anything major like stripping the interior? I'm talking about CF Hood, battery, wheels, etc. How much does it weigh? Has anyone gotten theirs close to 2900lbs? (ATX or MTX?)

And sorry if this is in the wrong section. Don't know where it belongs.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I'd venture to say that stretchs car was the lightest. And he didnt even have a carbon fiber hood. 6i mtx is the lightest and his had practically no options to weigh it down.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I'd have ballparked mine between 2950lbs and 2900lbs.

My car started at 3047lbs, and that was with heavy steel wheels. I dropped 12lbs per corner with light alloy wheels, 25lbs with a battery, and over 35lbs from removing the spare tire and jack. I removed a few other various parts (such as the plastic underbody cover beneath the engine), but nothing else too significant. Coilovers may have saved 10lbs, the headers saved ~9lbs, the midpipe saved at least 10lbs, and the CPE intake kit saved a few more. Running on bald racing tires (when I had them) surely saved some weight too. :p

Anything more than a base 6i would get heavy very quickly. The very first option on the 6i was a package including power seats. That must add 20lbs right away. I often wonder what a V6 MTX would weigh if it didn't have climate control, power seats, and some of the other additional crap it gets bundled with.

While some companies tend to be famous for underrating their engines, Mazda has historically overrated their vehicles' curb weights. Many Mazda vehicles are lighter (albiet only slightly) than their specs would indicate. It's as if Mazda weighs their vehicles with a full gas tank. I sort of wish I had gotten my car corner balanced to get a true vehicle weight- I actually tried to get it done one day, but ran out of time.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
I am slowly but surely getting there with pieces falling off the car as I go, just stripping off the pounds! Knocked a few ounces of fiberglass off the AutoEXE front bumper, lost the driver's side splashshield somewhere on I-20.. slowly but surely.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
atom44wat and i were talking about hitting the scales before the track, so we'll have a better idea on things in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd have ballparked mine between 2950lbs and 2900lbs.

My car started at 3047lbs, and that was with heavy steel wheels. I dropped 12lbs per corner with light alloy wheels, 25lbs with a battery, and over 35lbs from removing the spare tire and jack. I removed a few other various parts (such as the plastic underbody cover beneath the engine), but nothing else too significant. Coilovers may have saved 10lbs, the headers saved ~9lbs, the midpipe saved at least 10lbs, and the CPE intake kit saved a few more. Running on bald racing tires (when I had them) surely saved some weight too. :p

Anything more than a base 6i would get heavy very quickly. The very first option on the 6i was a package including power seats. That must add 20lbs right away. I often wonder what a V6 MTX would weigh if it didn't have climate control, power seats, and some of the other additional crap it gets bundled with.

While some companies tend to be famous for underrating their engines, Mazda has historically overrated their vehicles' curb weights. Many Mazda vehicles are lighter (albiet only slightly) than their specs would indicate. It's as if Mazda weighs their vehicles with a full gas tank. I sort of wish I had gotten my car corner balanced to get a true vehicle weight- I actually tried to get it done one day, but ran out of time.
[/b]
You should get a CF Hood and Trunk. That should knock off another 40-50lbs, right? What are your 1/4 times?

I was thinking about doing those exact same things you have done to your car, besides removing the plastic underbody.

Sadly, I have an ATX AND Power Seats. If I can get under 3000lbs, preferrably to 2950, and have CP-e intake and headers (if they hopefully come out), that would make an extremely fun car.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
lethal6i, its gonna be very very tough to get to that weight with an atx if not impossible. I think it adds almost 150lbs with the atx.

And Stretch I did actually corner weigh my V6 mtx without my stereo in it. Ill try to find the numbers. The guy had a crazy shop at his house. He was an SCCA pro with a nasty track car. It was a light weight tube chassis that weighed only like 1700 lbs with driver. He had a Tony Stewart Nascar motor rebuilt pushing 600hp in it. I forget the class it was. He also has a black Corvette Z06.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lethal6i, its gonna be very very tough to get to that weight with an atx if not impossible. I think it adds almost 150lbs with the atx.

And Stretch I did actually corner weigh my V6 mtx without my stereo in it. Ill try to find the numbers. The guy had a crazy shop at his house. He was an SCCA pro with a nasty track car. It was a light weight tube chassis that weighed only like 1700 lbs with driver. He had a Tony Stewart Nascar motor rebuilt pushing 600hp in it. I forget the class it was. He also has a black Corvette Z06.
[/b]

According to cars.msn.com, the difference between the ATX and MTX curb weight is only 50lbs...

Stretch: Did your car get improved gas mileage due to the weight drop?

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
yeah, on the 4banger the weight difference isn't too bad from mtx to atx. but when you add in seats, sunroof and whatever else the little bits start to add up. i'd be stoked to be around 3100 with me in the car...less would be better, but that's where my goal is i think, without having to pull seats.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, on the 4banger the weight difference isn't too bad from mtx to atx. but when you add in seats, sunroof and whatever else the little bits start to add up. i'd be stoked to be around 3100 with me in the car...less would be better, but that's where my goal is i think, without having to pull seats.
[/b]
The only thing I got, I think is power seats. Although I do have all wheel ABS, but I do not even have the Sports Package, nor leather seats.

I think 2950 is a reachable possibility, maybe less.

How much do the CP-e headers save in weight? I think some said, that for the V6, they save like 30-35lbs if not more.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
According to cars.msn.com, the difference between the ATX and MTX curb weight is only 50lbs...

Stretch: Did your car get improved gas mileage due to the weight drop?
[/b]
By the time I sold my car, I got drastically better mileage compared to when new. I'd attribute this to the break-in though. Most engines become more efficient as they age. I could get 500+ miles to a tank (33-34mpg) highway at 75-80mph. New, I'd get 28-29mpg. That's a pretty huge difference.

However, lightening your car should primarily help stop-and-go gas mileage, not highway. Highway mileage is primarily due to aerodynamics (and of course drivetrain friction), not vehicle weight.

You should get a CF Hood and Trunk.[/b]
Is an aluminum hood close enough? :p

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Not to thread hijack... but 500miles on a tank !!!

I hate you ppl w/ your fuel efficient 4cyls :(

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
12 Participants
Stretch
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing