Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a new clutch, and am looking at a stage I....

because the flywheel will need to be machined....it will have to be taken out anyways, so I am considering a lightened flywheel.

I ran search and couldn't find any usefull info...but I'm not a great internet searcher nor do I claim to be.

RPM sells a flywheel which weighs 15 lbs...this is the one I am intrested in...I will have quicker accleration but does this mean I will lose high end power?

In otherwords...will the gains in the low end negatively affect my high end setup?

·
Registered
431 Posts
It would almost certainly accelerate faster, but your shifting will be more difficult/rough since the engine RPM will go up and back down much faster than stock.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I need to get a new clutch, and am looking at a stage I....

because the flywheel will need to be machined....it will have to be taken out anyways, so I am considering a lightened flywheel.

I ran search and couldn't find any usefull info...but I'm not a great internet searcher nor do I claim to be.

RPM sells a flywheel which weighs 15 lbs...this is the one I am intrested in...I will have quicker accleration but does this mean I will lose high end power?

In otherwords...will the gains in the low end negatively affect my high end setup?
[/b]
You will not lose high-end, you will lose low end. The heavier flywheel helps give low-end power which is why the s2000 has an ungodly heavy flywheel

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
The RPM flywheel is definately driveable, I dont have any problems. It revs much faster. If you get a new clutch stay away from SPEC clutches, people are having problems with their pressure plates.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
The RPM flywheel is definately driveable, I dont have any problems. It revs much faster. If you get a new clutch stay away from SPEC clutches, people are having problems with their pressure plates.
[/b]
Yea i replaced my Spec Stage I clutch about a month ago with a CLUTCH MASTERS stage II and i'm VERY happy with it! Much better feeling with the Clutch Masters! i would highly recommend it over the SPEC...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will not lose high-end, you will lose low end. The heavier flywheel helps give low-end power which is why the s2000 has an ungodly heavy flywheel
[/b]
No offence...but that that is probably the funniest comment I have ever heard.

it's all in the physics

Yes...in a physical world taking weight off, means you will lose inertia....
But it also takes power to build it up....

To build it up...means it needs time...aka slower acceleration....

In the laws of physics...where a god awful heavy flywheel might help is at top speeds where the engine has to do minimal work to keep the flywheel...spinning....and has more residual power at those speeds to pick up more slack if need be.

Which is where my concern for top end comes into play...

If there was a loss of power at the low end.....why would anyone opt for a lighter flywheel? Why would anyone bother making one?

=====================================================

[/b]

Yea i replaced my Spec Stage I clutch about a month ago with a CLUTCH MASTERS stage II and i'm VERY happy with it! Much better feeling with the Clutch Masters! i would highly recommend it over the SPEC...
[/b]
Good to know...THANK YOU :D I would have made a big boo boo

·
Registered
431 Posts
Heavier flywheel = more power to CHANGE its speed. So small speed changes arent affected that much but large speed changes, such as gears 1 2 and 3, lighter can make a huge difference.

One website for BMW M3 said the perceived gain on the ligher flywheel approached 30hp. Its not the same as truly gaining 30hp since you only can see that difference when accelerating.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
i believe the s2k needs the heavy flywheel just to make the car streetable for the public, it would be weird to drive a car and hafta really gas it up a hill because the car would lose momentum VERY fast.

s2k's run with lightweight flywheels all the time, and it increases low end power and tq. the car IS less streetable, and harder for the average joe to drive, thats why honda did it.

and for the s2k's high revving output, a heavier flywheel helps for the intertia needed for power up top.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
backman_66
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing