Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yup- you read correctly-
light gray to dark gray stripes in just 2 hours!
How awesome is that. :huh:

Yeah, few days ago I learned that 47,000 miles,
on a not-garaged,
sun baked,
Japanese painted mazdaspeed6
is many many many miles/days/months too many to remove those ever so sucky dealer installed pin stripes.

That said, even knowing this I would still go out there and remove them again. Without question. I am much happier not having those darn wax grabbers on there.

I've also learned that my bumpers are not changing color, the rest of the car has faded that much. Yup, my pinstripe leftovers match my bumpers perfectly. (I had posted a few months ago about "camaro paint" & my bumpers being a different color than the rest of the car)

My, errrr......, "new" TiGray pin stripes are very subtle. I've not even been able to get a good picture that provides the same feel you get when seeing it in real life. Alas, it's just another one of the many things that are beginning to stack up and are turning my speed into a "20 footer"

Oh well, try as I might, that's the life of a family owned & daily driven ride.

I've got pre & post op pics. but it's all but impossible to get a good after pic- the TiGray stripe shows up a LOT more in real life than in the pics, but still invisible at 20'.

light gray dealer installed pin stripes:

Nifty new TiGray painted on pin stripes (AKA: Leftovers)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've had that same issue on any car I've removed pinstripes from (save for black). If you don't remove the stripes within the first year or so, that's going to happen.

I removed the pinstripes from my Liquid Platinum last summer, after owning the car two and a half years, and the shadow was there. No matter how well you protect your paint, it's going to fade.

·
Registered
615 Posts
No matter how well you protect your paint, it's going to fade.
I drive around with a car cover on.. Like old people and their plastic furniture, lol.

TiGray, I wouldn't worry about the pinstripes, and like you said, they blend with your bumpers anyways so it all good. Had to strain my eyes to see it in the second pic..

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol-
truth be told, I kinda like 'em......

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I drive around with a car cover on.. Like old people and their plastic furniture, lol.

TiGray, I wouldn't worry about the pinstripes, and like you said, they blend with your bumpers anyways so it all good. Had to strain my eyes to see it in the second pic..
I agree... I couldn't see anything in the second pic. Perhaps you can take a pic during a full monsoon next time? lol j/k Perhaps if you polish then wax or perhaps wash and clay bar first it will bring some shine back? I dunno.

LOL @ car cover!! I started using one at my place bc of these damn birds that above my car. It was a big PITA, but like anything, you get used to it. Much easier when the old lady is at home to help me throw it off/on. Also, I don't drive everyday, and it's nice to have a car wash "last" a few weeks easy w/ the cover on. I'm all for the cover, and although it is a pita, it's a good alternative for us garage-less. I just bought a ghetto-blaster cover for like $40, but I may buy a nice Cali one or something for the winter, but they're like $250-$300.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, don't get me wrong, she got shine, and the water is beading from a fresh wax job after the stripe removal. I'm not concerned (beyond that fast approaching "only looks good from 20 feet away" thing).

Tis not a wax away thing for sure- my car has just faded that much, and the .01% that was under the stripe is still like new. Learn to like it, or get painted.

I like it..... :)
TiGray stripes on TiGray, maybe I'll call em Ghost Stripes(tm), or Stealth Stripes(tm) and tell everybody they are custom & waaaay expensive...

yeah, that's the ticket..... yeah......

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When ya think about em that way, it's like a custom job that took four years to complete...

And I hate car covers.
hate having to deal with them when they aren't on the car
hate having to remove em before it rains
hate having to deal with a wet car cover when I forget
hate the scratches from a cover on a dirty car
hate when the cover gets dirty then makes my clean car dirty
hate putting a crappy cover on my car & scratching my car
hate spending mega dollars for a nice cover that will end up in the shed & unused
just hate car covers.

I should build a garage........
come to think of it, that's on my list just after building the house lolz....

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
When ya think about em that way, it's like a custom job that took four years to complete...

And I hate car covers.
hate having to deal with them when they aren't on the car
hate having to remove em before it rains
hate having to deal with a wet car cover when I forget
hate the scratches from a cover on a dirty car
hate when the cover gets dirty then makes my clean car dirty
hate putting a crappy cover on my car & scratching my car
hate spending mega dollars for a nice cover that will end up in the shed & unused
just hate car covers.

I should build a garage........
come to think of it, that's on my list just after building the house lolz....
You have a lot of hate in your heart dude, haha. I leave mine on in the rain and it dries pretty quick, and I just keep it in the trunk. The gf carts us to work and back so I don't drive everyday anyways. I don't have a choice though... in the late summer/fall, the trees above me spew down this nasty sap that is like hot taffy, and was ruining my paint. Yeah, I can't wait to have a garage.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Man, that right there definitely proves how shitty Mazda's paint is. My girl is garaged every night but in the blaring sun all day at work. Worries me. I guess I am not crazy for waxing every 2 months and doing a full out detail every 4-5 months...LOL!

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Well I'll be dipped in shit.
I can't believe it's that bad. I can see it clearly in your photo!
I was washing my car for the first time the other day and was soooo bummed to see the hood after it was cleaned. The entire front fascia, really. It's like a fucking checker board now.

I don't park my car in the sun much anymore. She stays under cover all day. Life is improving for her as she ages. I think I'm about to roll over 47K too...

·
Registered
710 Posts
I had the same issue when I took off the front plate bracket and switched over to the tow plate. I realized how lustrous the paint was one upon a time.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Some of that may be residue from the adhesive on the pin stripe, no? Have you considered clay baring the car? That may help... I dunno. It should at least get rid of any residue from the pin stripe? Just a thought. GL

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the thought-
I'm not that much of a slacker- elbow grease & GooGone removed all residue just fine. The removal process went pretty darn well actually.

Overall the finish is in fine shape, considering the whole sun baked & faded thing. The stripe is just the paint under the pin stripe that didn't fade.

leftover residue...... chuckle......
dougef- just cause your slacker enough to do things like, oh, not replacing an intake mani gasket, doesn't mean we're all slackers like that...

neener-neener (points & giggles at dougefresh)
lolz & all that :)

Reactions: dougefresh_

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
dougef- just cause your slacker enough to do things like, oh, not replacing an intake mani gasket, doesn't mean we're all slackers like that...
I wasn't being a slacker, it just didn't occur to me until the last minute, and a few people said you could re-use the stock gasket as it's metal. I wasn't thrilled about the idea, but I had been waiting on a friend to help me for weeks, and I just wanted it done. So, I wasn't being cheap or lazy... I just wasn't thinking beforehand. After ordering a stock gasket, I was 'talked into' the PTP intake mani spacer, by someone who swears that those actually lower BATs like 15 degrees or so. So I ordered that, and now I have two. If you want, I can shove the spare stock one up your ass sideways if you like? :D lol J/K

Ewww.......There were MS6's that had pinstripes? Those dealers should have been shot. Why didn't you pull them as soon as you bought the car?
Because he's a fucking slacker.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you want, I can... :D lol J/K

Nah, having seen your success rate with working on cars.... :eek:
I'd end up having to order a replacement.

/me runs :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Nah, having seen your success rate with working on cars.... :eek:
I'd end up having to order a replacement.

/me runs :lol::lol::lol:
Oh, SNAP!! Haha. I was just busting your lazy chops ;). I don't enjoy working on cars to be honest.... if I was making good loot, I'd never work on one again. It's like people paying to get their taxes done... I see that as a waste of $ as it's easy for me. I just want the parts installed, and to work right. That's why I'm having my mech install all this crap for me, so I don't have to bother. Plus, he takes care of me. The general consensus is that I've just had horrid luck w/ some aftermarket parts that have F'd up my car. Inlet pipe had a tear, and then the fuel pump shit the bed (pre-assembled, and mech installed it)... damaged my cam follower, and left crap in my hard fuel line. My ebcs also croaked. It's the "third variable" that keeps fucking me :/

EDIT: When my CPE pump eventually arrives, and everything is installed and I have fuel pressure for the first time in over 2 months now, I'm still going to have a tuning mess on my hands. I hadn't finished tuning my ebcs when it died (it was close), and now I'm adding the new pump, intake mani spacer, egr delete, ebcs, and stage 2 w/m! LOL I just want to tune it decently/safely. After I get an ATP catted DP, I'm getting a pro-tune as my breather mods will be complete, and I'll pretty much be fully bolted. The exception is a exhaust mani, but I'd do that at the same time as a BT is the funds ever materialize... which they probably won't!!

So wish me luck, cuz I'm gonna need it!

·
Registered
710 Posts
GOOD LUCK!!

No seriously. I've been reading your threads with one thing happening after another and I hope you catch a break because we've all been there and it sucks ass.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
GOOD LUCK!!

No seriously. I've been reading your threads with one thing happening after another and I hope you catch a break because we've all been there and it sucks ass.
Thanks buddy, I'll need it, lol. I'll be happy if flushing out the fuel line + rail and the CPE fix the issue. If not, I'm gonna set the car on fire :eek:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ewww.......There were MS6's that had pinstripes? Those dealers should have been shot. Why didn't you pull them as soon as you bought the car?

yeah after reading this thread and what jmhinkle said i thought to myself, wait a minute, i dont have pinstripes on my 6er.... thank god!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts