Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm a new 2006 Mazda6 5 door owner. Perhaps you folks can give me some information/advice. I purchased this vehicle knowing that my liftgate struts are worn out, as they do not hold the hatch open. I have a question about the struts. Please forgive my ignorance; when they are brand new, are they supposed to actually push the gate up to fully open when it is unlatched? If not, does anyone know of any aftermarket struts that have this capability? Now a follow-on question, the previous owner provided me with a key fob with a lock, unlock, and panic button. Will I be able to purchase and reprogram another key fob with a trunk release button? Tldr; What I would like is an auto-release, auto-lifting hatch. Is this possible?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Over the years, the OEM struts have not been all that good for me. They wear out quickly and one was defective from the start.
Anyone having good luck with the aftermarket lift struts?

Some I have found :

1) Amazon has a pair from Lift Supports Depot that many people say works, but the length seems too long to fit.

2) Maxpow (also on Amazon) has a pair that seem about the right length. Just one review, but they supposedly worked well.

3) Sachs SG227008 - -
Years ago, someone on this forum said they had good luck with some Sachs units ... not sure if this was the number they used.
I wrote the manufacturer, and they said the length to centers is: Extended 22.46" ... which is about right.
Price is much lower than OEM.

4) STRONGARM 6519 - -
Found a good price on these, but either their force curve is not right for the 6 hatchback, or I got defective ones. They would stop half way up. To completely open the hatch, I had to force it past this seemingly locked position.

5) Monroe P/N 901518 - -
These were a lot longer than the OEM. Did not install them.

Have you tried any of these on your hatch?

·
Rally Racer
2,730 Posts
Welcome to the forum @jjcnc82 . I have OEM numbers for the supports as GM9B-62-620C that is with or without spoiler.
Some of the reviews I read (eg. Tuff Support 611420) say it is not strong enough to hold the hatch with spoiler. Something to keep in mind when shopping.
I know nothing about the wireless fob as the exact OEM I purchased didn't even work for my wagon. Sorry.

Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts